BlackHawk question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Deacon

BlackHawk question

Post by The Deacon »

Just noticed a statement in an auction listing for a BlackHawk, which alludes to the existence of a Japanese made version of it. Have heard this said before also. While I don't disbelieve it per-se, I have yet to see one, or photos of one, with anything but GOLDEN CO marking on it, at least not that I can recall, and I have a fair degree of interest in BlackHawks. The one being auctioned is Golden made. So, the question becomes, are Seki built BlackHawks a fact or an urban legend? Pictures or other "proof of life" would be appreciated.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
dePaul

Post by dePaul »

Hi Deacon. I have a PS Black Hawk and a PS Renegade, both made in Seki City, Japan. The blade steel is Gin-1 (G2). I believe there was a sprint run a couple of years ago.

~Paul~
UK KEN

Same here!

Post by UK KEN »

dePaul wrote:Hi Deacon. I have a PS Black Hawk and a PS Renegade, both made in Seki City, Japan. The blade steel is Gin-1 (G2). I believe there was a sprint run a couple of years ago.

~Paul~
Paul

Same here........hope these help. :)

Ken
Attachments
R&B1.jpg
R&B1.jpg (84.62 KiB) Viewed 1244 times
R&B2.jpg
R&B2.jpg (95.24 KiB) Viewed 1228 times
R&B3.jpg
R&B3.jpg (84.08 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
recoil

Post by recoil »

:D
:D

dave
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

Until recently I had a Blackhawk and Renegade (sold on Ebay last week, hope it wasn't my auction you were looking at :p ) Both were Seki City made. To my knowledge all the Seki made Blackhawks and Renegades were Combo Edge only, and had a steel liner clipside.

I vaguely remember a thread somewhere saying that some Spyderco had found some parts for the Blackhawks and Renegades, and put them out as a Sprint run. Can't for the life of me remember where I saw that though.

But yes, they do exist, and they were exceptionally well made too. My Renegade had a lock up to rival a Manix, but it had to go to fund my other searches.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

smcfalls13 wrote: To my knowledge all the Seki made Blackhawks and Renegades were Combo Edge only, and had a steel liner clipside.
Thanks smcfalls13, that's probably one of the reasons I never saw (or more likely just never noticed) one. Tend to stick pretty much to PE. Might have to think about adding one of those sometime in the future. What's really odd is that the Golden CO, USA and Golden CO, USA, Earth marked ones are also GIN-1.

Thank you for the pictures Ken, guess I can take it out of the Saquatch category now. :D

Dave, I hoped you'd take my question the right way and get a chuckle out of it. ;)
Paul
JD Spydo

Somewhat related

Post by JD Spydo »

Deacon I had a Renegade & Blackhawk both that were Seki City made. The funny thing about those were they were just like the ones UK Ken just showed us. They were both partially serrated. Now the 4 sets of Golden Colorado made Renegades & Blackhawks that I have seen in the past out of other collections were all either fully serrated or Plain edge. Plus the Seki City ones I had were lined and the Golden Colorado set that I just traded had no liners. Now my Golden Colorado set also came in the older Black & White colored Spyderco boxes that I hadn't seen in quite a while and the only Spyders I had ever had in those color of boxes. Now the Seki City ones were in the newer dark grey Spyderco boxes like you see of lot of now. :spyder:
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Hi JD, that seems to be the rule, everyone who has a Seki marked BlackHawk or Renegade, or has seen one, says it was PS, all mine are US made, unlined, and PE. Will check boxes next time I have to rummage for something under the bed. Think the ones for my G10's are white, with either black or blue knife and lettering, and a gold bug sticker, but the aluminum may be the even older solid red, blue or black boxes.
Paul