which is your ergonomic masterpiece?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Senfkarte

Re: which is your ergonomic masterpiece?

Post by Senfkarte »

For me, its the Manix 2 and the Stretch 2 LW. Seems the number 2, in the name, is a must have :grin-sweat
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Post by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives »

For me. I prefer the ergonomics of the Endura for my XL hand. Not to mention how pocket friendly the Endura is despite having a 3.75 inch blade.
Last edited by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives on Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Post by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives »

SRT392HEMI

Post by SRT392HEMI »

Manix 2, made for my hand.
Matus

Post by Matus »

Just got the Centofante 3. This little guy is up there with the best when it comes to ergonomics.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

I just handled a stretch 2 xl last night for the first time and it might be the grand winner
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Native family of knives. I don’t have a Chief or G10 Native, but the others; I can’t find a bad grip on any of them and I have tried.

Caveat is I have Medium size hands.

The Paramilitary 2 wins for lock-in. It’s a very secure hold. I can see where people might get hot spots though.

The Siren is really good too.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

UKPK FRN
Stretch 2 FRN
Military
Pits
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

This is a really broad based question that could render many different answers. Because so many of Spyderco's folders and fixed blades are ergonomic wonders. That is one of the great selling points with so many Spyderco knives.

However the two that I do find to be almost ergonomically perfect are the C-60 Ayoob folder and the TEMPERANCE 1 fixed blade model>> and both of those models in both edge types as well. Both of those two models are still my ultimate favorites that I still use to this very day.

Some other honorable mentions would be the JD Smith, STREETBEAT and the Breeden RESCUE.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:25 pm
This is a really broad based question that could render many different answers. Because so many of Spyderco's folders and fixed blades are ergonomic wonders. That is one of the great selling points with so many Spyderco knives.
i agree. there are only a few spydercos i have that don't quite jive with my hands. even those are fine; just not ideal. specifically, the yojimbo doesn't really fit my hand nicely feels quite blocky and sharp on the finger bumps, but i still love the knife for it's design and purpose, so i carry it occasionally anyway.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

I’m answering the OP using a more technical definition of ergonomics (a.k.a. human factors engineering) very much in line with the Wikipedia article’s definition of it as a field whose goals “are to reduce human error, increase productivity and system availability, and enhance safety, health and comfort with a specific focus on the interaction between the human and equipment.”

So for me, an “ergonomic masterpiece” as far as folding knives go isn’t just a folder whose handle is extremely comfortable, but also one whose overall design—which includes factors such as blade shape, lock type, weight and balance, among other things—facilitates cutting and cutting-adjacent tasks primarily related to workplace and personal productivity.

Like many people in this forum, I own and use a fair amount of folders. But there are six Spyderco models I currently keep reaching for time and again when it is time to go to work (a knife is actually my primary hand tool at my job). And these six models are the Yojimbo 2, the Lil’ Temperance 3 Lightweight, the Shaman, the Endura 4, the Delica 4, and the Para Military 2.
20230216_182729.jpg
There is a fair degree of design variation across these models—it is especially hard to see if there is a design through line that directly ties the big and burly Shaman with the svelte and slicey Delica 4. All I can conclude from this exercise is that there can be multiple, vastly different answers to the question of “what makes for a great work folder?”, even for the same person, and that they can all be correct even if they might seemingly contradict one another.
kennethsime

Re: which is your ergonomic masterpiece?have zero trouble

Post by kennethsime »

I think the Dragonfly 2 is probably the best lesson in knife design I’ve ever seen. It’s a tiny knife with a very capable blade. You pull that knife out and it goes right to work. Even my XL hands have zero trouble manipulating the Dragonfly.

I think the Shaman has my favorite handle of any Spyderco. It’s easy to lock into certain grips, but also neutral enough that every grip works. The contoured handles also make it very comfortable even in hard use, and longer working sessions. The lack of a pinky nub means that I never feel cramped, which is amazing. It’s a great balanced knife.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:36 pm
I think the Dragonfly 2 is probably the best lesson in knife design I’ve ever seen. It’s a tiny knife with a very capable blade. You pull that knife out and it goes right to work. Even my XL hands have zero trouble manipulating the Dragonfly.
If there's some sort of Industrial Design Hall of Fame, Sal Glesser could probably get into it for his work on the Dragonfly 2 alone. It's my all-time favourite small knife: tiny enough to live on a keychain, but it handles like a much bigger knife. I've used folders twice the size that aren't anywhere as easy & comfortable to employ in convenience cutting tasks. To be honest, it's all the knife I need for EDC (the ZDP-189 DF2 was one of the first Spydercos I ever bought and could have probably stopped there ha ha ha), and I'd be using it as a work knife if I didn't regularly need a longer blade for the stuff I do at work.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Choked-up Para 3 is easily the best for me, but my Stretch 2 is a definite second.

Of course, the roominess of the Millie ain't no slouch either.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
petz462

Post by petz462 »

Stretch 2 is easily my favorite in hand. Wish they made a Salt version...
Dave
USAF Retired
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

zuludelta wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:37 am
kennethsime wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:36 pm
If there's some sort of Industrial Design Hall of Fame, Sal Glesser could probably get into it for his work on the Dragonfly 2 alone. It's my all-time favourite small knife: tiny enough to live on a keychain, but it handles like a much bigger knife. I've used folders twice the size that aren't anywhere as easy & comfortable to employ in convenience cutting tasks. To be honest, it's all the knife I need for EDC (the ZDP-189 DF2 was one of the first Spydercos I ever bought and could have probably stopped there ha ha ha), and I'd be using it as a work knife if I didn't regularly need a longer blade for the stuff I do at work.
Agreed. The Dragonfly actually fulfills my needs at work, but I prefer having a bigger knife most days for cutting up food. Also, bigger knives are just fun. :cheap-sunglasses
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
harryo97

Post by harryo97 »

I have a few favorites, the Lil’ Native and Native for my own hands are my top two. Honorable mention goes to the Sage 5 LW
Hardbawl

Post by Hardbawl »

ERGONOMICS “is an applied science concerned with designing things people use so that the people and things interact most efficiently and safely.” (Merriam-Webster).

Generally Spyderco does an outstanding job designing their folding knives ergonomically. This does not mean that the Chief that “feels good” in my hand will feel good in yours. This does not mean that “feelings and personal preferences” are not valid and important. They are what drives sales.
gooeytek

Post by gooeytek »

PPT or Military
T-1000

Post by T-1000 »

Manix 2 xl has the best ergos I've ever seen on a folding knife.