Any interest in more tough steel options for the Yojimbo 2 and other thin edge models?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Abyss_Fish

Any interest in more tough steel options for the Yojimbo 2 and other thin edge models?

Post by Abyss_Fish »

I got one of those smooth g10 cru-wear yojimbos and it’s quickly become one of my favorites in the collection, it’s just so solid! But I often find myself needing to swap it out for something a lil’ more rust resistant.

I love the form factor and I love the sense of security that cru-wear gives me, but I’d be even comfier if I could reach for one in lc200n when wanted to, even if the liners were just coated. And hey I’d go in on stuff in the other direction too. Say 3v or Rex45. Or right down the middle with magnacut!

I’ve always thought these thinner models would run best with tougher steels. And while I’m always holding out for a Watu in magnacut or something, the Yojimbo I think is an even more prime candidate. The cru-wear sprint is a step in the right direction, but let’s keep going! Push those thin edges!
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
JRinFL

Re: Any interest in more tough steel options for the Yojimbo 2 and other thin edge models?

Post by JRinFL »

I think there are many who would make that change. I guess they have not seen this thread yet.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
spydergoat

Re: Any interest in more tough steel options for the Yojimbo 2 and other thin edge models?

Post by spydergoat »

Yeah, magnacut makes the most sense for the Yo2's design. Could be a while before we'd see that given the other magnacut models already announced and the inevitability of the super selling PM2 and Para3 getting magnacut. What else is there if you want to increase toughness while keeping good corrosion resistance? LC200N, H2, AEB-L, maybe XHP? All seem like long shots. Maybe I should buy one in cru wear and swap the scales. Rather not need to but smooth g10 or purple isn't working for me.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i'd be more than happy with a yojimbo salt. i've suggested many times that sd models should be made in salts so they can be consistently carried in the same spot (i.e. iwb), regardless of what you're wearing. that request has basically been ignored (as far as i can tell, anyway).

as far as thinner edges, i wouldn't want to change the yojimbo. i like the thick blade and crazy good hollow grind. i'm not sure it could go much thinner anyway. i'm happy to use a utility knife if i need a thinner blade and would rather keep the yojimbo the way it is.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

What if a special 20th Anniversary Spyderco Yojimbo 2 came out in 2024, to commemorate 20 years of yojimbos at spyderco? With upgraded steel, ideally magnacut (because it has to be tough as ****), blue g10 handle (the original came in blue and Mr. Janich carries a blue custom Yo2), and a 20 year engraving.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

An uncoated 3V version would appeal to me. But my S30V one should last me, unless I drop it on its tip (shame on me); or, to be histrionic for these posturing times, unless I lose its tip in the guy who just won’t stop (shame on him).
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
thuyenbuom

Post by thuyenbuom »

I would like to see a Yojimbo 2 in MagnaCut, LC200N or H2 for resistance to corrosion.
Necromonger: What do you think of this blade?
Riddick: I think it is a half gram heavy on the back end.

The Chronicles of Riddick - Blade Scene
Danke

Post by Danke »

Still kinda regret passing on the BHQ M4 Yojimbo
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

Danke wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:59 pm
Still kinda regret passing on the BHQ M4 Yojimbo
I’ve been very happy with my M4 Yojimbo 2. Cruwear would make me just as happy, but I am not loving the purple and black DLC on the DLT Yojimbo, or the smooth scales on the KC model. I think that tough and high hardness steels, AKA high edge stability steels, rather than going purely on toughness, are perfect for thin edged blades. Thus M4, 3V, Cruwear, and Magnacut (I’m just now using this so I’m going off the description of its properties) are all popular steels that would be great for the Yojimbo 2. Good AEBL at 62-63 RC would awesome as well, from my first hand experience, but most people these days don’t want a lower wear resistance steel like that.

I recently picked up a Yojumbo and it has the same excellent edge thickness (~.018”-.020” at the top of the 17 degree edge bevel) as my Yojimbo 2 despite the much larger blade. With the hollow grind and super thin tip it really is an excellent slicer for a factory blade. I personally love extremely thin knives, so I would prefer even thinner grinds on the Yojimbo 2, but I wouldn’t hand my wife a stock thickness Yojimbo 2 because the tip would be snapped off and there would be huge chips in the edge in short order. She likes to complain that I won’t let her use my “fancy” knives that are all thinned out. The first time I saw her use one of my knives to cut cardboard she laid the cardboard on the cement floor in the garage dragged the edge all across the cement as she cut it. Then she complained about how bad the edge retention was and how my knives aren’t good for cutting :winking-tongue. Later she decided to try to cut coat hangers with a reground Native (~.008” and 10 degrees per side with a 15 degree microbevel) I had laying the entryway and there were chips into the primary grind from that. After that I just give her thick beaters with 120 or 220 grit edges at fat angles and not my ultra thin edges. All that to say that while I personally would love the Yojimbo thinner I appreciate that it has very good slicing geometry as is, and thinner would not work well at all for a lot of the public, as my wife so aptly demonstrated.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

If they make it I’ll buy it, especially on a Yojumbo.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE