Spyderco Collaborators You Would Love to See Again?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ladybug93

Re: Spyderco Collaborators You Would Love to See Again?

Post by ladybug93 »

human nature is fallen and there are no good people. we're all selfish. that's what makes it so special when people choose to be kind.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mr. Glesser???? Is it safe for us to assume that Massad Ayoob is still in good graces with Spyderco? Because with the recent success of the C-60 Cruwear Ayoob Sprint Run I would be most interested to see what else he could come up with. That is if his heart is in it. And I'm absolutely sure I'm not alone wanting to see what else he could create.

I've loved that C-60 Ayoob model ever since I bought the first one in the early 2000s. And it appears that most every one who has gotten one in the recent Sprint Run seems to really love the new one as well. The years I've followed Mr. Ayoob in his books, magazine articles and his podcasts I've never heard anyone say a negative word about the man. And I"ve heard a lot of good stuff about him over the years from various sources.

Heck I would even love to see what kind of a fixed blade he could come up with. But for him to do an improved folder model would
for sure be a dream come true.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:33 pm
Is it safe for us to assume that Massad Ayoob is still in good graces with Spyderco?
i doubt he would say if he wasn't. he was purposefully cryptic in his response. i'm sure he doesn't want to drag peoples' names through the mud, even if he were justified in doing so.

i also doubt, based on what he said, that spyderco would re-release the ayoob as a sprint if they had a strained relationship.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Shiny footprints. I don't expect Sal to say anymore on this subject and honestly I hope the thread moves on to who you'd like to see some collabs with. Maybe some outside the box suggestions?
sal

Post by sal »

cabfrank wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:42 pm
I was thinking, before sal posted, human nature is not getting worse. There are still many more good people than bad. We just hear more about the bad, in news, media, etc.

Hi Cabfrank,

I believe that there are more good people than bad, at least in most civilized countries. I think it's safe to say that they aren't noticed in the way a bad deed is. We made a "T-shirt", back in the day, that said, "If you want a better world, be a better person". It's still our job to teach by example.

sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:49 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Is it safe for us to assume that Massad Ayoob is still in good graces with Spyderco?
i doubt he would say if he wasn't. he was purposefully cryptic in his response. i'm sure he doesn't want to drag peoples' names through the mud, even if he were justified in doing so.

i also doubt, based on what he said, that spyderco would re-release the ayoob as a sprint if they had a strained relationship.
Yeah I think you have some great points. But I sure would like to see Massad Ayoob do another design. He's just too good to be a "ONE HIT WONDER". I now remember Massad Ayoob did have a fixed blade design with a company called MOD ( Masters Of Defense). The fixed blade was called the "Razorback"

As good as the C-60 was I can just imagine what a revamped design of his might be like.
sal

Post by sal »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mr. Glesser???? Is it safe for us to assume that Massad Ayoob is still in good graces with Spyderco? Because with the recent success of the C-60 Cruwear Ayoob Sprint Run I would be most interested to see what else he could come up with. That is if his heart is in it. And I'm absolutely sure I'm not alone wanting to see what else he could create.

I've loved that C-60 Ayoob model ever since I bought the first one in the early 2000s. And it appears that most every one who has gotten one in the recent Sprint Run seems to really love the new one as well. The years I've followed Mr. Ayoob in his books, magazine articles and his podcasts I've never heard anyone say a negative word about the man. And I"ve heard a lot of good stuff about him over the years from various sources.

Heck I would even love to see what kind of a fixed blade he could come up with. But for him to do an improved folder model would
for sure be a dream come true.

Hi JD,

Mas is Gold,

I would be interested in seeing what Mas might design now, 20 years later. If he'll do it, we'll do it, but it will be a while from concept to delivery. Maybe start another thread to gauge interest? Maybe get Mas to post or share thought?

sal
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Oh no, are we going to get JD started again? 🫨
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

I don't think he ever stops! 😁
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

LOL! :grin-squint

If it results in a new Spyderco model, I say have at it too!
-Nick :bug-red
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

sal, you should make those shirts again, with a big Spyderco logo on them somewhere. If not, thanks for the reminder anyway. We can all use that reminder.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Let's go JD !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

sal wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:41 pm
Hi Apollo,

If you have someone in mind that you think "made a mistake" and is remorseful, have them contact me. We, at Spyderco, are not close minded people and everything is always up for discussion. Most everything is slow moving right now because of a variety of reasons, so collaborations are no exception.

Most of the time, designers approach us, Some like Alistair, Bob Lum, etc. I have sought out. We've done quite a few and will continue to do so. Our customers like the variety and many of our collaboration designs have been requested by our customers. We create designs for our ELU (End Line Users) where as many manufacturers serve and take advice for designs from their dealers and distributors. While we do listen to them as well, our main customer is the person that cuts with the knife.

sal

=====================================================================================

"Loyalty before all else except honor"
Thx Sal i will send the message. I was thinking and hoping i was correct about my gut feelings of you and Eric when i met you in Amsterdam. but now i can rest easy I wasn’t wrong there.
Small question i remember Eric saying in 2014 i think it was you stopped traveling to the amsterdam meet for health issues back then. I hope these are still under good controle and you’re still doing fine ? He Scared the crap out of allot of people for a minut there before starting the meet. :cheap-sunglasses :beaming-face
Darklight111

Post by Darklight111 »

I would love to see a Marlowe Squail by Spyderco
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

sal wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:03 pm
BeggarSo wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:15 pm

Wow how do you keep going?

Hi BeggarSo,

There are way more great folks like the people here, which is a constant encouragement. :smlling-eyes

sal
Glad to hear it, I tend to agree and yes my life experience has proven that out as well, and as you say it is the bad ones that really stick out and I suppose that is natural, I guess it is how we are wired to avoid that which is not good, because evil acts always in the end leads to suffering.
:bug-red-white Those who are wise sharpen their steel to it's chemistry not their beliefs. "BeggarSo" :fortune-cookie
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Ramonade wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:03 am
Let's go JD !
So are you on board for another design by Massad Ayoob? Because that would be my #1 pick by far.

But for a long time I've also wanted to see more stuff from Jason Breeden as well ( Breeden RESCUE & the C-111 Captain models). I do believe if they brought back the C-111 Captain model in full SE it would sell so good that they would have trouble keeping them in stock. Yes I firmly believe that.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:32 pm
Ramonade wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:03 am
Let's go JD !
So are you on board for another design by Massad Ayoob? Because that would be my #1 pick by far.

But for a long time I've also wanted to see more stuff from Jason Breeden as well ( Breeden RESCUE & the C-111 Captain models). I do believe if they brought back the C-111 Captain model in full SE it would sell so good that they would have trouble keeping them in stock. Yes I firmly believe that.
From what I've seen and read about the man, and from his first collaboration with Spyderco, yes I would !
I also really love Ed Schempp designs ;)

(Well, I also would love to see a Torpen design -french maker named Jérôme Hovaere, brought as a sprint run in the Spyderco line-up but that would be a brand new collaboration !)
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
toomanypm2s

Post by toomanypm2s »

Personally I would really like to see a comeback of the Mamba. I didn't have a stable job or make enough money to buy it when it was in production, and now I'm on a perpetual hunt to find a legit one in good condition on secondary.

I'd also like to see more from the Vallottons.
Geometry

Post by Geometry »

Pekka Tuominen! Always liked the nilakka and never snagged one. I know there where issues with zero ground s30v, but these days we have stuff like rex45 that would be great in a platform like that!

I'm still amazed Spyderco was willing to even try that, now I'm kicking myself all over again haha
:bug-white-red I like using my brain around people smarter than myself.
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

smock