Question for Sal and Eric

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wrdwrght

Re: Question for Sal and Eric

Post by wrdwrght »

JoshLikesSekiCityKnives wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:34 pm
If Spyderco decide to release a tanto in their Golden,Seki City, or Chinese Byrd line. I will buy one
Your phrasing leads me to ask if you’re unaware of Eric’s Tanto PM2. The grind, which Sal has raved about, is something to behold.

The long edge is a Wharncliffe and the short edge is also flat. As a Wharncliffe, you get the continuous downward pressure until you don’t. A different feel than the Bob Lum’s slightly-curved long-edge.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Post by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:23 pm
If Spyderco decide to release a tanto in their Golden,Seki City, or Chinese Byrd line. I will buy one
Your phrasing leads me to ask if you’re unaware of Eric’s Tanto PM2. The grind, which Sal has raved about, is something to behold.

The long edge is a Wharncliffe and the short edge is also flat. As a Wharncliffe, you get the continuous downward pressure until you don’t. A different feel than the Bob Lum’s slightly-curved long-edge.
I am not familiar with Eric's Tanto PM2. I have a lot to learn. Thanks for sharing. I will look up Eric's design right now.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Ah yes the great Tanto PM2 that you can't buy because it's exclusive to BHQ :eye-roll

If they're not going to produce anymore is the blade going to be exclusive to them indefinitely? It's been a waste of a good design.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

What constitutes a tanto is surprisingly broad. This diagram of various tanto profiles with cross sections might interest some.

JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Toucan wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:38 am
What constitutes a tanto is surprisingly broad. This diagram of various tanto profiles with cross sections might interest some.

Thanks for finding this chart. I remember seeing a similar chart a while back but could not locate. I appreciate you sharing this.
That's not even counting the 3-4 Americanized tanto shapes of Cold Steel, Brian Tighe, etc. Or the reverse tanto.
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

WyoJon wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:58 pm
Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:06 pm
WyoJon wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:09 pm
Tantos are not a very practical slicing knife design. The design was made for stabbing for combat knives.

Maybe kinda like why we dont have "bowie" blade shaped spyderco versions
My tanto slices well. Some people just don't know how to sharpen. And blame the knife instead. I bet if I sharpen a tanto and I squeeze on the blade. I will probably need stitches. Tantos are capable of both slicing and stabbing.
Ninjas and Samurai of old did not seem to have issue with either.
On second thought. I got 5 stitches in my right front shin when I accidentally over cut a bag of mulch and chunked out my shin to the bone. Thanks to a tanto. And my own stupidity.
I don't know what self professed "expert" :rofl on YouTube started the rumour that Tantos can't slice. Maybe I should try to explain that to Rockstead. But I trust over 600 years of Japanese knife development from 1570 AD over some hotshot wannabe YouTube or blade forum knife "expert" :rofl
The tanto point of the shorter japanese knife was made for stabbing. The curved edge of swords was made for slicing.

Any sharp knife will slice. The tanto edge was designed to be stouter for stabbing, its less efficient for slicing because the way the tip tapers, gives much less contact when rounding the point on the blade than the belly in a leaf shaped blade making contact consistantly to the tip. Hence why that point was used for stabbing, not slicing.
I am not debating the tip of the tanto and it's primary use. But there are many different types of blade and edge geometries that allow for tanto designs to be good slicers. As well as piercers. I like tanto tips due to being more resilient to snapping. Especially when dropped from a pocket or ladder onto the pavement. And I honestly think they look cool A.F.
I have nothing to prove and my post you paraphrased still stands true in my opinion. Not trying to convert anyone. I just asked Sal and Eric a question on the possibility of producing a tanto folder sometime in the future.
If Spyderco decide to release a tanto in their Golden,Seki City, or Chinese Byrd line. I will buy one or 2. If not. I will go without, find an alternative, or buy one from a pawn shop, Ebay, or online retailer. I can't speak for anyone else.
I keep extremely sharp slicing knives. So I dont do anything that will snap the tip, and I certainly avoid dropping them off of ladders.
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

I think part of the problem is spyderco knives are designed around the gradual sweep of the leaf shaped blade. So the quick turn up of the end of a tanto point would not sit as well in the handle of many designs
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

WyoJon wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:36 am
WyoJon wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:58 pm
Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:06 pm

My tanto slices well. Some people just don't know how to sharpen. And blame the knife instead. I bet if I sharpen a tanto and I squeeze on the blade. I will probably need stitches. Tantos are capable of both slicing and stabbing.
Ninjas and Samurai of old did not seem to have issue with either.
On second thought. I got 5 stitches in my right front shin when I accidentally over cut a bag of mulch and chunked out my shin to the bone. Thanks to a tanto. And my own stupidity.
I don't know what self professed "expert" :rofl on YouTube started the rumour that Tantos can't slice. Maybe I should try to explain that to Rockstead. But I trust over 600 years of Japanese knife development from 1570 AD over some hotshot wannabe YouTube or blade forum knife "expert" :rofl
The tanto point of the shorter japanese knife was made for stabbing. The curved edge of swords was made for slicing.

Any sharp knife will slice. The tanto edge was designed to be stouter for stabbing, its less efficient for slicing because the way the tip tapers, gives much less contact when rounding the point on the blade than the belly in a leaf shaped blade making contact consistantly to the tip. Hence why that point was used for stabbing, not slicing.
I am not debating the tip of the tanto and it's primary use. But there are many different types of blade and edge geometries that allow for tanto designs to be good slicers. As well as piercers. I like tanto tips due to being more resilient to snapping. Especially when dropped from a pocket or ladder onto the pavement. And I honestly think they look cool A.F.
I have nothing to prove and my post you paraphrased still stands true in my opinion. Not trying to convert anyone. I just asked Sal and Eric a question on the possibility of producing a tanto folder sometime in the future.
If Spyderco decide to release a tanto in their Golden,Seki City, or Chinese Byrd line. I will buy one or 2. If not. I will go without, find an alternative, or buy one from a pawn shop, Ebay, or online retailer. I can't speak for anyone else.
I keep extremely sharp slicing knives. So I dont do anything that will snap the tip, and I certainly avoid dropping them off of ladders.
You are awesome. I will work harder in the future to never drop a knife or make a human error. Kinda happens more in older age💀
Thought you or others might find this article link interesting.
At least I don't feel like the lone ranger now over wanting a tanto blade.
https://www.marineapproved.com/tanto-bl ... ry%20point.
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

For those who are interested in others perspectives of tanto style shapes. I found this link a good read.
https://www.marineapproved.com/tanto-bl ... ry%20point.
Danke

Post by Danke »

wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Toucan wrote:

Nice find.

And these profiles are themselves just themes.

My two seem to be variations on the Shinogi theme. But, of course, whatever the theme, tantos were traditionally only fixed-blades.

WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:38 pm
Toucan wrote:

Nice find.

My two seem to be variations on the Shinogi theme. But, of course, whatever the theme, tantos were traditionally only fixed-blades.

[/quot]

Those two knives are great examples of how having the tip so far up from the edge will not fit in most spyderco handles. Draw that on an endura or a police, and it will be a useful cutting tool with the blade closed. :winking-tongue
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

WyoJon wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:38 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:38 pm
Toucan wrote:

Nice find.

[/quot]

Those two knives are great examples of how having the tip so far up from the edge will not fit in most spyderco handles. Draw that on an endura or a police, and it will be a useful cutting tool with the blade closed. :winking-tongue
Efficiency dammit. That's the name of the game :nerd
I am pretty sure Spyderco can figure something out. But yeah some tips may not be compatible with certain handle.designs without modifications.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

WyoJon wrote:
Your meaning escapes me.

The only handles that matter in my post are the ones in my pic.

Are you suggesting that other Spydie handles not presently featuring Tanto blades would make better knives than the ones I’ve shown, and they won’t even need opening?

JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:46 pm
WyoJon wrote:
Your meaning escapes me.

The only handles that matter in my post are the ones in my pic.

Are you suggesting that other Spydie handles not presently featuring Tanto blades would make better knives than the ones I’ve shown, and they won’t even need opening?
No kidding. I crack up when these anti choice of others guys Ideas and preferences always got to throw poop in the fire. Even though they are not being forced to use or buy what some others like. It's almost like they are taking it personal.And no amount of reasoning or facts presented will sway them or even offer compromise. I never had a problem with others preferences or brand of choice. That is silly.
Their way or the highway. Well I am cool with the highway more than I am with control freaks and closed minded folk.
It's like a form of narcissism and controlling behavior. And I feel sorry for their family and children who have to live with this behavior.
It would really bother me if everyone agreed with me on everything and used what I used. That would be boring and would make me question myself and visit a shrink. I hope I never get so close minded as I get older.
To be honest people like this are why I refuse to call myself a part of the knife/watch community or a member of the Spydie or Cold Steel club. And just collect for myself.
They turn knives and collecting of any hobby into some personal grudge and poop slinging fest. And god forbid you like or want to use something different from what they have been indoctrinated to use.
Even if the tip of a tanto could protrude from a certain handle style. It's not like Spyderco or any decent company could not modify an existing handle shape to accommodate the blade style.
Speaking of protruding tips. I had that with a Joker 2 handed classic folder and a medium Cold Steel Luzon. Neither being tanto shaped.
EDIT: This will be the last time I comment on my own post. I merely wanted to bring an idea I feel is lacking in Spyderco's manufacturing. If you release a tanto in your line up Sal.Even the Byrd line. I will try it.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i think he was just saying that the blade shape wouldn't fit in most spyderco handles. that seems fairly obvious that blades and handles are typically designed together and spyderco wouldn't be shoehorning a tanto blade into a handle that doesn't cover the blade when closed. i'm not sure what the point was of that comment.

i don't think anyone is telling you what you can like. there are a lot of opinionated people around here and it's a discussion forum, so people are going to share their opinions.

i would consider purchasing a lum tanto if they were available for a reasonable price. i'm not interested in a pm2 tanto. i'd much rather see a uniquely spyderco take on the tanto designed as it's own thing from the ground up instead of a collaboration or just a tanto version of a knife that already exists.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:31 am
i think he was just saying that the blade shape wouldn't fit in most spyderco handles. that seems fairly obvious that blades and handles are typically designed together and spyderco wouldn't be shoehorning a tanto blade into a handle that doesn't cover the blade when closed. i'm not sure what the point was of that comment.

i don't think anyone is telling you what you can like. there are a lot of opinionated people around here and it's a discussion forum, so people are going to share their opinions.

i would consider purchasing a lum tanto if they were available for a reasonable price. i'm not interested in a pm2 tanto. i'd much rather see a uniquely spyderco take on the tanto designed as it's own thing from the ground up instead of a collaboration or just a tanto version of a knife that already exists.
Well put and agreed. I just hope Spyderco will do a tanto release without it being exclusive to one retailer or offer it on their own site.
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:44 pm
ladybug93 wrote:

Well put and agreed. I just hope Spyderco will do a tanto release without it being exclusive to one retailer or offer it on their own site. My apologies. I think I took WyoJon's text wrong. But I just wanted to comment to you and say I agree with everything you said just now.
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

ladybug93 wrote:

Thank you. You got what I was saying exactly. Just slamming a tanto blade in a knife such as the endura would not fit the handle. Most models would have that issue. That would makw it not possible to just make a tanto version of most models. It would mean a seperate special tanto model in most cases, which to me might be great, but hey, if spyderco designers tends to prefer a particular blade style, why force something else on them. I appreciate spyderco knives for what the designers do for them. I accept them for whst they are and enjoy them.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Josh,

There are more in-the-works.

sal