Deadbolt lock original,improved upon,borrowed,influenced, or stolen

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Deadbolt lock original,improved upon,borrowed,influenced, or stolen

Post by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives »

I just found something interesting. I was watching a video by metal complex on the CRKT M40 deadbolt lock. I scrolled through some comments and someone mentioned that the deadbolt lock designed by Flavio Icoma was in fact designed by Paul Poehlman on the Gerber a legendary Knives of the 1970's. Yet Flavio has a patent on the Deadbolt lock. Which only came out roughly 3 years ago.
So does this mean Flavio borrowed or got influence from the Paul Poehlman design or are these different locks? Stolen design possibly? Workaround? or a simple coincidence? The only difference I see is the locking mechanism as one end is rectangular in shape on the Deadbolt. While Paul Poehlmans lock is round on both sides.
I will share a few links of the following knives in question. Starting with the video link so you can see the comment for yourself. I am just in disbelief this type of lock originated in the 1970's. Learned something new.
Feel free to check out the few links I posted and share some thoughts.

https://youtu.be/9Ke10ReJ37Q Commenter in comment section who brought this up is under username John C.
Gerber/Paul Poehlman lock.https://www.arizonacustomknives.com/kni ... mann-paul/
CRKT Deadbolt. https://www.crkt.com/deadbolt
JRinFL

Re: Deadbolt lock original,improved upon,borrowed,influenced, or stolen

Post by JRinFL »

Just for reference:
Good article from Doug Ritter’s site on the Paul Poehlamn lock which includes the patent papers. www.dougritter.com/Paul_Poehlmann.htm
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

I'd say it's a different execution of the same concept, much like the CBBL and the Axis lock.

Very cool thread. Thank you for the links.
- Richard
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Post by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives »

JRinFL wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:31 pm
Just for reference:
Good article from Doug Ritter’s site on the Paul Poehlamn lock which includes the patent papers. www.dougritter.com/Paul_Poehlmann.htm
Thanks a million for sharing that link. I am very intrigued with Paul Poehlman. Maybe one day I can afford one of his knives. His work was ahead of its time.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I bought one of the lone wolf knives with the Paul lock. Apparently the deadbolt is very strong. Andrew Demko was impressed when he tested the lock strength. Unfortunately I don't really carry my Paul defender. I bought it more as a collectible /curio. I'm actually thinking about buying a crkt clever girl folder now.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Regardless of inventor i'd love a Sage 6 featuring the Ikoma deadbolt lock..
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.