Spyderco Collaborators You Would Love to See Again?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dsvirsky

Re: Spyderco Collaborators You Would Love to See Again?

Post by dsvirsky »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:25 pm

Glad to hear that JD Smith is still around. I wonder if there is a way I could mail him a letter? It would be so cool for him to do another collaboration.
He's easy enough to find on Facebook.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

I think we need some more schempp models
:bug-red-white
Current “dream collection” of knives
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

JSumm wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:01 pm
Gayle Bradley, definitely Gayle Bradley. Seems like some like one over the other, but they all seem to be held in high esteem.
Is it just 3? Air, GB1, & GB2?
Advocate https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C214TI/1011

Another great design in my opinion.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Still hopeful we see a Slysz Rat in Spyderco form someday. The Mouse3 flipper looks great too.

DansGearAddiction

Post by DansGearAddiction »

abbazaba wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:41 pm
Still hopeful we see a Slysz Rat in Spyderco form someday. The Mouse3 flipper looks great too.

I love the Rat, but not sure how the Spydiehole could fit without compromising the integrity of the blade. I think the blade would need to be taller so it could fit within the swedge.
Current Collection
Chaparral LW, Dragonfly 2 (VG-10), McBee, Stretch 2 (K390), UKPK Salt (LC200N)
horzuff

Post by horzuff »

Probably similarly as it was in the Southard Flipper, would definitely work IMO. And I'm also waiting for the two Slysz's mentioned here, the SpydieChef2 and the Rat.

Another one would be the Tkachenko Paradox:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:11 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:28 pm
Evil D wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:23 pm
I really haven't gravitated so much to collabs, I just like a design or I don't. My favorite collaboration models are probably the ones where Sal and Eric team up lol.

Besides that it's a broken record that'll probably never get played again.... another Ulize design in SE.
I'm a bit taken back by this comment. Because I thought for sure you liked the newest C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run we just got recently. OR was it just the SE version maybe? But I do 1000% agree with Sal & Eric's IN HOUSE designs. I would love to see a bigger scale version of the Dodo at some point. Or something else along that line.

Yeah there are collabs I do like but I guess I meant I don't like them specifically because a certain person made them, or in other words for example if Massad Ayoob designed another knife with Spyderco I would pay attention but I wouldn't just automatically want it. Seems like some people are into collecting all of one designers designs but that would only work for me if they were really specific about how they design them.

Example, I loved the original Southard but had no interest at all in the Hanan.

I loved the Sliverax but didn't care for the Ikuchi.

I guess I'm trying to say it's a case by case basis and not so much "ooh look that guy I like made a new knife I instantly like it". I think we all experience this and don't think about it...Sal has designed a bunch of knives and I don't think any of us universally like every one of them.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I do seem to remember you liking the Vallottan model at one time? I can't think of others at this time. But I do remember that one because I almost got one for a user until I landed the M390 Military.

How about the JD Smith? Or did that one not impress you?
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Good grief. After seeing some photos, I'm thinking we need another Slysz Collab. I tend to prefer long and slender designs. Seems like a theme with his. Minus the Techno.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Reinhold (Spydernut) , Rhino grande , Lanny’s clip.
Deviant blades , Buffalo design.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Having a Junction and a GB1 it’s definitely Gayle Bradley.

But am looking forward to someone new in the pipeline “Xplorer” Chad Kelly.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
JesterXL

Post by JesterXL »

Gabor Szakonyi, designer of the Astute. IMO one of the best looking knives in Spyderco’s lineup an very underrated.
30 :bug-red-white 's
Models: Manix 2, Manix 2 XL, Lil’ Native, Native 5, Native Chief, Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Caly 3.5, Stretch 2 LW, Stretch 2 XL, PM2, Delica 4, Endura 4, Astute, Chaparral, Dragonfly 2, Ladybug, Manbug, Jester
Steels: 15V, LC200N, S30V, S90V, Maxamet, K390, 8Cr13MoV, VG-10, HAP-40, Rex 45, M4, CruWear, XHP, 204P, ZDP-189, 4V
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

skeeg11 wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:31 pm
Anything Phil Wilson. Please make it happen.
Definitely my favorite collaborator. I like quite a few of the collaborations, for sure, but Phil Wilson is my favorite.

For a folder, I'd love to see something from Des Horn. I really like the Des Horn, and I still carry it fairly regularly. The other collaboration that sees a fair amount of use for me is the Junior. I wasn't a fan of the Battlestation personally, but I'd be curious to see what else DiAlex comes up with--his designs are just so varied. I also really like the Rhino, and some of Mike's other stuff (looking at his website) seems fairly interesting to me.
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

I have been waiting for years to see a Grimsmo/Spyderco collaboration. As someone who is not a fan of thumb studs, getting my hands on a Norseman with a Spydie hole would be a dream come true.

:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I swear we did this thread a couple of months back...

So many good choices in this thread!

I'd like Spyderco to no longer give the cold shoulder to designers who went on to work with other manufacturers. It seems unwise to cut off one's own nose to spite their face. I would think it would be a good thing to show how much better your collaborations are vs the competition.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:51 am
I swear we did this thread a couple of months back...

So many good choices in this thread!

I'd like Spyderco to no longer give the cold shoulder to designers who went on to work with other manufacturers. It seems unwise to cut off one's own nose to spite their face. I would think it would be a good thing to show how much better your collaborations are vs the competition.
Indeed i heard this happening more then once and i am shocked that Spyderco is still so "childish" in this area. Even worse that some of those collaborators did not even know Spyderco would be that way until it happend and Spyderco reacted so coldly for something that is in my eyes only normal. If spyderco does not want a specific design why can not anobody else make it ( without the hole then ) ? That should not meen that the maker isnt welcome in golden anymore for all future time. That is just plain stupid in my book.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

JesterXL wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:39 am
Gabor Szakonyi, designer of the Astute. IMO one of the best looking knives in Spyderco’s lineup an very underrated.
He is also responsible for Spydercos Hungarian folder! Which I always say is one of Spydercos most underrated sleeper models.
- Nick :bug-red
di81ni

Post by di81ni »

Definitely Gayle Bradley. I really hope there will be another design by him.
CLOK

Post by CLOK »

Gayle Bradley and McNees.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I'm glad to hear, but very surprised, of the support for more Gayle Bradley. If this comes to fruition it will cost me.
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

JD, I agree with you on Breeden. He’d be on the top of my list for sure. I don’t see it happening so I’d be content with a Sprint of the existing discontinued models.
Think for yourself