Hawkbill doing what it does best

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
z1r

Hawkbill doing what it does best

Post by z1r »

Since we don't get much traffic in the Byrd forum, I'm cross posting this. I love this Hawkbill. I use it in the garden center I work at.

While I can't get it paper slicing sharp, it has to problems cutting off shoots, small 1/4" limbs, opening boxes, straps, etc. Touch up is simple with the brown sharp maker rods. A quick rinse at the end of the day, no corrosion issues.

Last edited by z1r on Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sanderguy777

Re: Hawbill doing what it does best

Post by Sanderguy777 »

I have never had a hawkbill, but I am amazed at how useful my Gerber EZ-Out Rescue has been. I think a hawkbill will definitely be it's replacement though.

How do you sharpen it? Drag it through the sharpmaker, or individually hone each "tooth" with the corner of the medium rod?
z1r

Post by z1r »

I use the corner of the stone and just lightly drag it across. Works well, but I do need to refine my technique. The knife is the bomb for $35! And if the Hawkbill blade doesn't appeal, the Meadowlark comes in a wicked SE Wharnie version. I think you need both! I do.

Sanderguy777

Post by Sanderguy777 »

z1r wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:14 pm
I use the corner of the stone and just lightly drag it across. Works well, but I do need to refine my technique. The knife is the bomb for $35! And if the Hawkbill blade doesn't appeal, the Meadowlark comes in a wicked SE Wharnie version. I think you need both! I do.

I'll have to get one now!
olywa

Re: Hawkbill doing what it does best

Post by olywa »

The Meadowlark HB was my 2nd Hawkbill behind my wee little LadyBug Salt HB (which I love). I have been amazed at how useful a larger Hawkbill is and also at how effective the serration pattern is. Spyderco's 8CR in SE is pretty darn impressive as well. Since then I have picked up a Harrier 2 SE Wharnie and I really appreciate the added handle length and chamfering. These represent a pretty great value in hard-use work knives.

Now if only they'd bring out the Harrier 2 in a Hawkbill SE config I'd have my perfect yardwork companion.
z1r

Post by z1r »

olywa wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:27 pm
The Meadowlark HB was my 2nd Hawkbill behind my wee little LadyBug Salt HB (which I love). I have been amazed at how useful a larger Hawkbill is and also at how effective the serration pattern is. Spyderco's 8CR in SE is pretty darn impressive as well. Since then I have picked up a Harrier 2 SE Wharnie and I really appreciate the added handle length and chamfering. These represent a pretty great value in hard-use work knives.

Now if only they'd bring out the Harrier 2 in a Hawkbill SE config I'd have my perfect yardwork companion.
I hear you! I'd love to see this in a PE as well.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I'll advocate for the Byrd hawkbill. My first serrated Spyderco and the serrations as ground as good as on the main line. This is an excellent build quality too (I'm talking for my specific sample), I have 0 perceptible blade play or lock rock and everything is smooth.

It's just an excellent value. 8CR in serrations does give an edge with a correct lifespan
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Post by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives »

I love my Byrd Hawkbill. I use this knife more than 90% of my more expensive knives.
Clynch

Post by Clynch »

I love the looks of the Hawkbill. Spyderco instructions for serrations have us sharpening on the rods like a regular knife but slower. Do you ever slide the knife vertical on the rod edge to keep the serrations deep?
z1r

Post by z1r »

No, I sharpen on the point (edge) of the rod. I draw it across and slide down just like I would a plain edge. Just today, I finally got this knife so it will push slice trough receipt paper. Turns out I hadn't gotten all the way to the edge in my previous attempts. Super excited and still impressed with how well this baby performs.
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

z1r wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:28 pm
Since we don't get much traffic in the Byrd forum, I'm cross posting this. I love this Hawkbill. I use it in the garden center I work at.

While I can't get it paper slicing sharp, it has to problems cutting off shoots, small 1/4" limbs, opening boxes, straps, etc. Touch up is simple with the brown sharp maker rods. A quick rinse at the end of the day, no corrosion issues.

Best hawkbill that spyderco makes. The serrations are perfect. Now just change the steel to k390, magnacut, or h2
Justin
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

z1r wrote:

I need to pick up that SE warnie!
Justin
z1r

Post by z1r »

crazywednesday wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:55 pm
z1r wrote:

I need to pick up that SE warnie!
Yes you do. Just last week I actually figured out how to sharpen my Hawkbill "correctly", all I can say is WOW! Even more impressed now. I found out the key to sharpening is persistence. Making sure you actually get to the edge. Best $35 you'll ever spend on a knife!
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Post by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives »

I use my Byrd hawk bill to score a line in Drywall sheets.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Wow, I'd love to see the scars on that blade. Nice thing about a knife at this price point is that it WILL get USED. Though there are naysayers out there, I'm convinced that Spyderco's 8Cr is better than other knives I have with the same steel. Edge retention is good for what it is and it takes an edge nicely (once you know what you're doing).
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

The Byrd hawkbill is one of my favorite knives. If I’m carrying a hawkbill, it’s almost always this one instead of the more expensive spyderco version(s). a couple years back, I carried a hawkbill exclusively for a few months in order to learn about them in my every day use of a pocket knife and was quite surprised how well it works for me. Since then I have enjoyed carrying them in the EDC role as they are very effective box/package openers and that is the majority of my use. But I also prefer a serrated edge so that may also have something to do with it.

This reminds me, I need to buy a few more before the next price increase… Such a great knife!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I’ve been enjoying mine as well!
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
olywa

Post by olywa »

Ditto, I've been carrying mine all week. I keep hoping that we'll see the Harrier 2 get a hawkbill blade. That handle and my hand got a thing goin' on...
z1r

Post by z1r »

olywa wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:41 pm
Ditto, I've been carrying mine all week. I keep hoping that we'll see the Harrier 2 get a hawkbill blade. That handle and my hand got a thing goin' on...
Can't believe I missed your post. Coincidentally, I asked for the same on the "New Byrd" thread. Both SE and PE please!
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

I bought one as a beater for work for unpacking pallets and opening packages. so far am impressed.