What's your LEAST favorite of all your favorites?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: What's your LEAST favorite of all your favorites?

Post by Evil D »

benben wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:16 pm
Bet Sal and Eric are reading these and texting each...."WHAT", bunch of ungrateful AH's!! Sorry sir, even the ones I deemed least favorable (to me) are still phenomenal knives, their sales records proves it time and time again!

I still am not sure if I got my point across with how bad I jacked up this thread title. Least favorite favorite is still a favorite. It's like if you own every color option of a Ferrari, one of them will be your least favorite but it's still a Ferrari and you don't just want to get rid of it because it's at the low end of your favorites list.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
benben

Post by benben »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:29 pm
benben wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:16 pm
Bet Sal and Eric are reading these and texting each...."WHAT", bunch of ungrateful AH's!! Sorry sir, even the ones I deemed least favorable (to me) are still phenomenal knives, their sales records proves it time and time again!
No I get it David, just making light hearted conversation! And for the record, I don’t own a bad Spyderco!

I still am not sure if I got my point across with how bad I jacked up this thread title. Least favorite favorite is still a favorite. It's like if you own every color option of a Ferrari, one of them will be your least favorite but it's still a Ferrari and you don't just want to get rid of it because it's at the low end of your favorites list.
DansGearAddiction

Post by DansGearAddiction »

Current collection (Tenacious LW and UpTern are leaving very soon, so I'm excluding them) is in my signature, and I'd have to say the Pingo as well.

In hand, I'd say the UKPK is the best slipjoint Spyderco makes, and the SpyDK is also a better overall "Denmark-legal" knife than the Pingo -- slicier blade, more utilitarian blade shape, finger choil, better grip, though the Pingo has the SpyDK beat on "lock up" since it's a bit stiffer.

With that being said, I'm not in any rush to get rid of it -- it's still a neat model, is discontinued, and I always appreciate the work of Jesper Voxnaes and Jens Anso. I still carry it from time to time.
Current Collection
Chaparral (LW, Stepped, Stealth, Sun & Moon), Dragonfly 2 (VG-10), McBee, Stretch 2 (K390), UKPK Salt (LC200N)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I had to think about this one for a while. But I think I get the jest of what you are talking about. In that case I would have to say that the older RENEGADE model is still one that I really like the overall design. It was one of the very first GOLDEN ERA (1998-2004) models that I fell in love with. But several succeeding models diverted my attention and thus got me to liking different types of folders.

However if they were to revamp the old RENEGADE model with a Supersteel blade and an updated handle material I could see myself carrying another one at some point. Another Golden Oldie model I still have respect for is the very first POLICE model that came out with a G-10 handle. That was during the ATS-55 era. I wouldn't mind another one of them at some point.

My all time fav is the C-60 Ayoob model and the new Sprint Run is nothing short of pure perfection.
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

So a favorite knife that sees the least carry/use. Oddly, that would probably be the native 5 for me. It checks off a lot of preferences, yet it still just simply gets left at home…
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The more I think about the idea of listing knives like this, the more it fascinates me. What's more interesting than the top favorite or bottom favorite are all the ones in the middle, because the ones that are closer to your top favorite that you still don't carry have even more going for them. It really speaks volumes about the ones we consider top favorites because there must be some really amazing models that are in the mid grade range.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
standy99

Post by standy99 »

My least favourite, favourite is a sprint M4 Jade PM2 DLC….took so long to get a M4 PM2 in Australia due to not many dealers shipping here in the day and it’s the one knife in M4 I wanted so much. Just don’t carry it that much since it’s so sentimentally sacred and loosing it would be devastating. Probably one of my most favourite but least favourite for the above reason.
Weird but that’s it
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:44 am
The more I think about the idea of listing knives like this, the more it fascinates me. What's more interesting than the top favorite or bottom favorite are all the ones in the middle, because the ones that are closer to your top favorite that you still don't carry have even more going for them. It really speaks volumes about the ones we consider top favorites because there must be some really amazing models that are in the mid grade range.
Where do we stop? I could probably come up with a list for my top three favorites, top five favorites, top ten favorites, etc. and then the last knife of those would be my “least favorite of the favorites.”
-Nick :bug-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

To make things even more detailled :winking-tongue :

Here is my, though actually certainly a favorite, still "least favorite version of my favorite model that I still own"

The stainless steel Endura (Endura still being my overall favorite Spyderco)

Love it for several reasons (one being that it is an older one with the hollow- instead of the newer "just" sabre grind), but out of the Enduras I have at the moment (four, or five if I also count the Pac Salt) it still would be the first having to go should I ever decide to sell one

(Old pic, knife looks a lot more scratched up (and so to me better) these days)

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
murkyocean

Post by murkyocean »

I have owned quite a few knives over my lifetime and currently my collection has kept some of my favorites for over 2 years. I would say the "bastard" of the group would probably be my Native 5 REX45. I love this knife but I rarely use it since my wife took it over as her first knife. She keeps it in her nightstand or on her work desk and uses it for everything. She took it to work one night and left it in her car leaving it for over a week. When I found it I about died as it was patina'd and had some mild corrosion on it. All it needed was some alcohol and elbow grease, there are still some spots of dark patina but it has character now and everyone at her work (restaurant business) was amazed how sharp it was and wanted theirs that sharp. It is still a favorite but probably my least now because it is my wife's.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear murkyocean:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

murkyocean wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:26 pm
I have owned quite a few knives over my lifetime....

Welcome!

Nice story, nice first post here! :smlling-eyes
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bike_rights

Post by Bike_rights »

Police 4 LW in k390 - but only because I have a police 4 g10 k390. The g10 version blows the LW version out of the water.

Honorable mention - native 5 LW. Does everything an edc knife should, but doesn't bring much excitement. Almost utilitarian to a fault. Both excellent knives, just the least favorite of the favorites.
Fharing45

Post by Fharing45 »

Gb2, really a beautiful build on paper. Yet even now , a year or so later I can't warm up to it.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

The 4 Manix Lw’s i have in my collection. I just Love Manixes and i find the Lw's Good user and beater knives that demand my respect.
But compared to there g10 counterparts they are kinda a let down for me. Stiff action even after years of use that can not be improved without given them massive bladeplay , the locks are more difficult to release because it feels like they are rubbing against the frcp that surrounds the cage. And can not get used to the lack of weight they have , it takes away the strong and capable of anything feeling the g10’s have. I also like to feel a knife in my pocket its an ocd thing i guess because with a Lw i am feeling nothing and i need to check all the time if its still there or not and that makes me crazy.
Now you can ask why does he have 4 well that is easy they are gifts so i love them more because of it.
murkyocean

Post by murkyocean »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:04 am
murkyocean wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:26 pm
I have owned quite a few knives over my lifetime....

Welcome!

Nice story, nice first post here! :smlling-eyes
Thank you! Hopefully I will be on the form more after I get my M398 Mule!
murkyocean

Post by murkyocean »

Michael Janich wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:46 am
Dear murkyocean:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Thank you Mike! I have been viewing the forums for years just noticed I wasn't a member OOPS :rofl