What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
abbazaba

Re: What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Post by abbazaba »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:10 pm
Foehammer wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:57 pm
abbazaba wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:21 pm
Ok do you and Jsumm get a commission every time someone buys a Gb2? Lol
seriously. i think these two have made a very good case for these taichung knives to be offered in a different scale material. i'm personally not a fan of the cf/g10 that spyderco uses (though it's far less objectionable in person than in pictures). also cf just doesn't look right on this knife to the point that i never even really noticed the model until i started seeing these two with micarta. now i really want one.
The GB2 sells it's self, as one of the most photogenic knives Spyderco makes IMO... That great hollow grind contrast, Sebenza like proportions, proud shiny liners, the unique woven CF texture. It's a beautiful knife.

I personally love the Taichung CF laminate. It's a unique look that also feels great in hand, and still looks new after tons of abuse. Seems like many write it off simply because it's not solid CF, but I think it achieves something that many scale materials don't, laminate or not. It's one of the reasons I loved the GB1, as well as the Sage1 and Chaparral1. I still own my GB2 from the original drop in CF, making it one of the few knives I have an exact backup of, albeit now with Micarta scales.

Not sure what I'd ask for in a sprint run/different version of the GB2 with it already a **** near perfect knife in one of my favorite steels. Micarta is a great fit for it... Maybe Ironwood and 10v? Polished Gray G10 and Cruwear? Would love to see one in full DLC.
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

ladybug93 wrote:
Foehammer wrote:
abbazaba wrote:
seriously. i think these two have made a very good case for these taichung knives to be offered in a different scale material. i'm personally not a fan of the cf/g10 that spyderco uses (though it's far less objectionable in person than in pictures). also cf just doesn't look right on this knife to the point that i never even really noticed the model until i started seeing these two with micarta. now i really want one.

Yeah, didn’t one of them have a micarta scaled Kapara? I never thought I’d want one until I seen that pic (Jsumm I think) posted of his Kapara.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

We need a Gayle Bradley What's next thread. Maybe some Dealers will take note and run an exclusive. I think any variant would sell. I think Micarta would be ideal. The M4 on it is awesome. I feel like it needs a tough steel just to meet it's design intent not for any practical reasons. 4V would be cool with a black or gray Micarta.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

abbazaba wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:50 pm
The GB2 sells it's self, as one of the most photogenic knives Spyderco makes IMO... That great hollow grind contrast, Sebenza like proportions, proud shiny liners, the unique woven CF texture. It's a beautiful knife.

I personally love the Taichung CF laminate. It's a unique look that also feels great in hand, and still looks new after tons of abuse. Seems like many write it off simply because it's not solid CF, but I think it achieves something that many scale materials don't, laminate or not. It's one of the reasons I loved the GB1, as well as the Sage1 and Chaparral1. I still own my GB2 from the original drop in CF, making it one of the few knives I have an exact backup of, albeit now with Micarta scales.

Not sure what I'd ask for in a sprint run/different version of the GB2 with it already a **** near perfect knife in one of my favorite steels. Micarta is a great fit for it... Maybe Ironwood and 10v? Polished Gray G10 and Cruwear? Would love to see one in full DLC.
to be fair, i've been pretty anti tool steel up until recently. i still don't prefer it, but i'm caving a bit because i want to try new things. m4 still doesn't appeal to me as much as even k390 does, but i'm thinking about trying it just because i want this knife.

the only cf/g10 knife i have is the ikuchi. i really don't care for the way the cf looks in the picture, but i quite like the feeling of the peelply texture in hand. i still plan on a set of upgraded scales for the ikuchi though. i just was in less of a hurry to do it than i thought i would be. so, i don't hate the laminate as much as i originally thought i would, but it's not my favorite. and the gb2 looks like a work knife to me and reminds me of the sebenza, so the cf just looks strange to me on this model. micarta looks far more appropriate.

as far as this knife's design, i really like the look of the proud liners and i love the hollow grind as well. i've had a lot of knives with hollow grinds and i think i prefer them to flat grinds. even though the manix is my favorite knife, the yojimbo and h1 salts reminded me how much i love a good hollow grind.

i'm not asking for a sprint of this model. i did make a thread recently saying it would be nice to have it in a more corrosion-resistant steel, but i do think the knife is good as is. like i said, i will likely end up with one, even in m4, and i will almost certainly be putting od micarta on it and forcing a patina so it doesn't rust on me.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Rex45
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JSumm wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:14 pm
We need a Gayle Bradley What's next thread. Maybe some Dealers will take note and run an exclusive. I think any variant would sell. I think Micarta would be ideal. The M4 on it is awesome. I feel like it needs a tough steel just to meet it's design intent not for any practical reasons. 4V would be cool with a black or gray Micarta.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=94237
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

ladybug93 wrote:
Foehammer wrote:
abbazaba wrote:
Count me in too for the Crucarta GB2 sprint. But I might just have to order one in M4 soon.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

aicolainen wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:17 pm
kennethsime wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:43 am
Do you ever challenge yourself to carry a knife you don’t ordinarily carry? Any other idea for mixing it up once you have too many knives? :p
Those look great!
I'm tempted to get a pair of RGT scales for my P3 even though I quite recently got a pair of Cuscadis. I wanted black canvas micarta for mine, but they only had linen micarta. Figured I'd give it a try. The finish is a bit smoother than I prefer, but I knew that going in. There's still enough traction, and on the positive side it slides easier in and out of the pocket. I think I'd still prefer canvas though.

And yes, I do challenge myself to some extent. Maybe more to get acquainted with different features and knife types and to a lesser degree to rediscover old flames. Right now I'm carrying the Endela thin red line CE, it's brand new so it's certainly not an old flame, but rather solely to try the much hated on CE. It's also my first linered (FRN) Seki model, so I get to try that as well.
I've also tortured myself carrying just a nail nick slip joint for a couple of weeks, so I guess I do actually take it to the extreme some times :)
I usually prefer canvas, but I like linen just fine. I think you can modify the texture a bit with a very light sanding, if you really want it.

I havent tried Cuscadi yet, but I’ve heard that that they’re the best. If I were in Europe I think I’d be buying from them regularly.

I’ve been thinking about a combo edge Stretch XL. I haven’t tried CE since I bought my first fixed blade (a cheap Gerber made in China) but I think with the bigger blade, you still get a fair amount of plain edge. With nice sharp serrations, it would make a lot of sense for edc.

I’d definitely be interested to hear how you like carrying that Endela after a few days/weeks!

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:21 pm

Rex45
That micarta texture on the lynch clip just takes it over the top. Sweet knife!

JSumm

Post by JSumm »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:22 pm
JSumm wrote:
Gotcha. Yeah I didn't want to come there and push a non-stainless steel. I was thinking more in general GB discussion and future collaborations. Possible exclusives and such.

Oh, and I wouldn't guarantee a patina helps with rust. That may be old fashioned bro-science. Not sure, but it hasn't proved that in my limited experience.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

Rockin’ my new Siren today. The pattern is growing on me. I’m considering using a dremel to draw some jimping where my thumb falls on the spine though. A bit too slick there..
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:19 pm
abbazaba wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:50 pm

to be fair, i've been pretty anti tool steel up until recently. i still don't prefer it, but i'm caving a bit because i want to try new things. m4 still doesn't appeal to me as much as even k390 does, but i'm thinking about trying it just because i want this knife.

the only cf/g10 knife i have is the ikuchi. i really don't care for the way the cf looks in the picture, but i quite like the feeling of the peelply texture in hand. i still plan on a set of upgraded scales for the ikuchi though. i just was in less of a hurry to do it than i thought i would be. so, i don't hate the laminate as much as i originally thought i would, but it's not my favorite. and the gb2 looks like a work knife to me and reminds me of the sebenza, so the cf just looks strange to me on this model. micarta looks far more appropriate.

as far as this knife's design, i really like the look of the proud liners and i love the hollow grind as well. i've had a lot of knives with hollow grinds and i think i prefer them to flat grinds. even though the manix is my favorite knife, the yojimbo and h1 salts reminded me how much i love a good hollow grind.

i'm not asking for a sprint of this model. i did make a thread recently saying it would be nice to have it in a more corrosion-resistant steel, but i do think the knife is good as is. like i said, i will likely end up with one, even in m4, and i will almost certainly be putting od micarta on it and forcing a patina so it doesn't rust on me.
You are probably aware, but the GB2 CF is much different than the Ikuchi. Sage1 vs Sage5 different.

FWIW, Spyderco's M4 was my gateway drug... It was the first time I truly enjoyed a steel, an A-ha moment - On the GB1 actually, which may be the reason I'm here. The second time was K390.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:05 pm
legOFwhat? wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:21 pm

Rex45
That micarta texture on the lynch clip just takes it over the top. Sweet knife!
Thank you sir! Something about black and bronze just does it for me. I'll have to find bronze hardware for them.

-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JSumm wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:20 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:22 pm
JSumm wrote:
Gotcha. Yeah I didn't want to come there and push a non-stainless steel. I was thinking more in general GB discussion and future collaborations. Possible exclusives and such.

Oh, and I wouldn't guarantee a patina helps with rust. That may be old fashioned bro-science. Not sure, but it hasn't proved that in my limited experience.
that's fair. i don't care if you "derail" my thread a little. clearly, i'm not that worried about it. and anyway, my point was to make a suggestion, but i'm not married to it. i always welcome discussion.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

abbazaba wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:40 pm
You are probably aware, but the GB2 CF is much different than the Ikuchi. Sage1 vs Sage5 different.
i was not aware, actually. i thought it looked different in pictures, but it's hard to tell for sure. since it's the same material and the same factory, i figured it was the same.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Pictured - Teal Para 3 LW

Not Pictured - REC Lil Native
Assist Salt
Customized Ladybug Hawkbill
-Nick :bug-red
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageOne more day .
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Filoso- wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:34 am
Just arrived today and to the pocket she went...love the drop point blade!
I own both the leaf and the drop point HH exclusives and I started to like the dp more. Can’t explain why… maybe I am attracted by the funky blade shapes. I only wish they ground them thinner bte.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red