Spyderco Ulu?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cl1ff

Re: Spyderco Ulu?

Post by Cl1ff »

I think there’s a lot of potential for an Ulu market.
There are several traditional styles which are really great tools and they come in a variety of sizes.
The ones I favor lack the cutouts for fingers and are usually just held in pinch grips, but I think there are advantages to both styles.
You’ll notice Marjorie Tohbone, the person Sal mentioned before, is typically seen using what appear to be the ones without cutouts.

There are also the type that use a post or rod to attach the blade and handle.

I also think their history as tools often used by all kinds of people, including women and children, is something that could be further explored.
Ulus would prove to be excellent EDC cutting tools for many people. They don’t look like typical knives, while retaining all of their function as tools. They’re relatively compact.
I think they can even be made “fashionable”, in a way that most knives aren’t, again without compromising any function.

This would be a more convincing argument if I showed some of my drawings.

It might not be practical to make more than one kind of Ulu, so I think it’s worth discussing the possibilities and narrowing down what to ask for.

My ideas for and EDC Ulu are probably not as good as just a solid traditional Ulu design in Spyderco’s style.

I like the idea of a very stainless steel, at least.
BD1N sounds good to me. LC200N too.

I don’t like wood that will degrade in the same environments where stainless steels shine. That seems counterproductive when we have a such a wide selection of stable materials.
G10 is probably a good candidate.

That’s what I can think of right now. I’ll come back with more and probably read this thread again because I’ve forgotten what points have already been covered. Forgive my laziness if that means my post is already rather redundant.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

What ever steel they use it need to be USA made. I mean 8Cr would be fine but you can get cheap Chinese versions anywhere. Just need to figure where to put the Spyde-hole now.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

So far as I can see... The elephant in the Spyderco Ulu question is EDC and how/where would you carry it? I carry mine in a pack, leave it in the kitchen or shop. Lots of people can agree that an Ulu is an effective cutting tool. Like any EDC one can shape the blade and come up with many intended uses. An Ulu can be a: blubber cutter, fish cutter, meat cutter, hide scraper, and kitchen knife to be somewhat traditional and general in purpose. An EDC Ulu could be anything, and a consensus that would have enough market traction to support tooling.... Well, I would like a Spyderco Ulu.

I own a traditional blubber cutter and a hide scraper, as well as 2 commercial Ulus. I have processed many hides with the traditional scraper and the commercial Ulus. I have tried to process game with an Ulu and I am faster and more efficient with knives.

I'm game for a Spyderco Ulu. I am not fussy on blade shape, I prefer solid handles, and sure would like a high wear steel, something that could scrape out a moose hide and still be sharp.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
sal

Post by sal »

FYI, I designed a folding Ulu in 2 sizes. They were the opposite of autos in that they were spring loaded to close. The had 2 different opening positions.

sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Truthfully, most people in the lower 48 and in Eastern Canada probably have no idea what an ulu is. I think people in Alaska and Yukon, NW Territory, and Nunavut would be the likely market, except for us Spydie Nuts.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:27 am
Truthfully, most people in the lower 48 and in Eastern Canada probably have no idea what an ulu is. I think people in Alaska and Yukon, NW Territory, and Nunavut would be the likely market, except for us Spydie Nuts.
It could also be a good way to expand Spyderco’s audience. I have been to a dozen stores in Anchorage and they all I see these cheap Ulus, everywhere. I was looking for something more than the $10-$15 cheap one but it was the best I could find.

Now you put a nice Spyderco one in all of these little stores for $50-$75 and that makes a really cool gift/souvenir. I don’t know the numbers but tons of people visit and cruise to Alaska all the time. They buy one, get it home, use it, like it and they might look at other knives in the Spyderco kitchen line.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I’m still seriously interested in those folding ones, Sal!
I think they’re a great concept, especially as an EDC tool that makes use of the Ulu’s relatively unique ergonomics and mode of cutting.
It seems very much like a great translation of the tool, and other similar ancient stone tools, to the daily cutting needs of most people nowadays.

The only thing I think is “wrong” with going that route, of course, is that I think there still exists a lot of people who do need the more traditional function of an Ulu, so they’d still want a traditional Ulu from Spyderco (even if they came to like and appreciate the functionality and convenience that a folding, reverse-auto, Reverse-S, Ulu boxcutter could offer).

You might see some new customers saying, “Wow, this modern tool by Spyderco is really neat and well made. I appreciate its roots in my culture! So, where can I get the traditional style Ulu they make? It must be really good too!”.

This is just a silly hypothetical I’ve thought up in my head because I’m way too enthusiastic.😅

Speaking of enthusiasm, I don’t have that much experience with using an Ulu (although I have used similar stone tools to cut various things), and didn’t currently own one.
So, yesterday, I found a piece of metal, hammered it flat, crudely cut it to shape, ground the rust off, and put something that resembles an edge on it.
I made a little Ulu.

It’s very crude, but I’m going to put a simple handle on it too.
All I’ve done is cut some sandwiches with it and not much else, but after talking about them I had to play around with one immediately to get a feel for it.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 5:58 am
I would be interested. I have thought about making one out of an old circular saw blade. That seems somewhat common.

Bench made produced a hybrid ulu that looks like it would process game really well.

I personally would prefer to see one that is more traditional that I could use in the kitchen. Since I would be using it for food prep I would want it to be very thin. Definitely curious what a high performance ulu made by spyderco would look like.
Hi I actually own one of these from Benchmade in S30V Steel it is one of my favorite fixed blade knives, and sees quite a bit of kitchen use chopping, and is an excellent skinning knife for certain and if I need to cut frozen meat and am a bit impatient it handles it very well with good control and quite safely.

I am certain Spyderco can do even better especially if they use... Wait for it.... CPM Magnacut :party-face

There are Karambits that open and close now if a gimmick like this could be worked out on something like this I think it would sell very well.

Here is a real life pictures turns out I was carrying it and a Manix2 Cruwear with smooth G-10 Scales today. Here is a size comparison. As can be seen in the pictures I keep a coarse edge on it.

No need for anything bigger in this shape hope this helps Sal.

:bug-red-white Those who are wise sharpen their steel to it's chemistry not their beliefs. "BeggarSo" :fortune-cookie
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

That Benchmade has a huge Spydie hole.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

Lol Right!!!! Ha I knew they ripped Spyderco off years ago copying the Spydie Hole and each time I use this I think of their less than honorable practices and it goes a long way towards me not purchasing much from them at all.

I probably have something like 100 Spyderco's and oh lets see counting this two Osbourne 940-1 in Carbon fiber in S90V one of which is a safe Queen.

Hmm Yep 3 Benchmades Total.
:bug-red-white Those who are wise sharpen their steel to it's chemistry not their beliefs. "BeggarSo" :fortune-cookie
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

Considering that hole is on a fixed blade and not used for opening the knife, I don't know how that could be considered a violation of any patent of Spyderco's. If they actually managed to patent putting a round hole in a fixed knife, I would honestly be super confused how that ever got past the patent office.

Is that Benchmade Ulu considered a patent violation? Or maybe you were referring to another knife? I think I remember seeing a Griptilian with a round hole.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
sal

Post by sal »

Hi BeggarSo,

Thanx for the comparison pic. I designed an Ulu like that about 20 years ago, but held off.

I don't think it's a violation of our trademark. Do you know if Benchmade s still making it?

I think If we were to make one, I would prefer to be more traditional.

sal
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Sal,

A traditional Ulu would be great. I know I like my cheapo one, a Spyderco version would rock.
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

Depending on the price point and aesthetic I would be tempted to get an Ulu from Spyderco. I'm just not sure if it would be traditional enough looking for my preference. For example, I think I would have a hard time buying it if it didn't have wood handles. Maybe my mind could be changed though, guess it depends on whether I ever get around to making one myself, in which case it would definitely have wood handles. Micarta would be the best none wood option to me.

This knife design is very interesting to me because of it's uniqueness, as well as the fact that I have native American ancestry, although not from the north. I am about 1/16 Cherokee Indian, so native American knife designs are special to me.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

sal wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:02 pm
Hi BeggarSo,

Thanx for the comparison pic. I designed an Ulu like that about 20 years ago, but held off.

I don't think it's a violation of our trademark. Do you know if Benchmade s still making it?

I think If we were to make one, I would prefer to be more traditional.

sal
The knife in question concerning using the Spidey hole is an older different model this model just reminds me of Benchmades less than correct behavior. here is an old thread referencing the topic. viewtopic.php?t=73291

Sal, they discontinued this roughly two years ago as I recall. I agree a more traditional one would likely be better this is a good interpretation but likely misses allot of the original designs abilities.
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx BeggarSo,

My preference would be to try to create the best mot useful traditional design that has proven effective over time. I'm trying to work with an expert and experienced Ulu user for a design and possibly an instruction video.

sal
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

sal wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:25 pm
Thanx BeggarSo,

My preference would be to try to create the best mot useful traditional design that has proven effective over time. I'm trying to work with an expert and experienced Ulu user for a design and possibly an instruction video.

sal
I think that is awesome Sal,

As you well you know the culture the Ulu design comes from needed these knives just the way they became for survival in some of the most extreme living conditions on our planet. That is not to say every knife design at some point did not but when I think of the peoples this design evolved from and is still in use two things come to mind.

#1. This evolved from our earliest tool using as human beings of chipped rocks into blades and is somehow from the very primitive to the evolution of that which is tried and true. I mean can you see it? a nice sized flint in the hand rounded for the palm but chipped away into the first Spydie edge and over time evolving into the Ulu. Wouldn't surprise me if it was a Glesser that started the whole thing. Lol just look at what that kid from New York had to do with a sharpened nail to make it and what that evolved into. :bug-red

#2. Unlike me well they needed a 1 knife does it all, where as I in a far less harsh environment own so many Spyderco knives, each capable of pretty much doing it all but also specific in the things each can excel at. Sure a cheap knife can cut but when you have Cadillac taste and purse to match why buy a Yugo? In fact I have so many Spyderco's I am not sure how many but it must be close to 100 as I have forgotten which ones I have and recently began cataloging them in the safe and reorganizing. This has been a bit like Christmas morning all over again when I was a kid... only better. :bug-red-white :bug-red-white :bug-red-white :smlling-eyes.

So anyway I say go for it I will back my writing with buying an I'll bet others will to. There has to be something to the original design or else it would not still be in use.
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

Benchmade’s Model 15100 Nestucca Cleaver was introduced in 2016 and discontinued in toward the end of 2019.
https://dealer.benchmade.com/media/wysi ... chmade.pdf

nb
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

Knives of Alaska have had their Magnum Ulu in their line for quite a few years. https://www.knivesofalaska.com/Store/ma ... magnum-ulu

Blade Tech also made a folding ulu of sorts: https://www.bladehq.com/item--Blade-Tec ... ing--19635 Long discontinued.

Here is Sal’s Ulu patent: https://patentimages.storage.googleapis ... 205667.pdf
And a few others …

http://www.indianpeakmfg.com/products.html

https://www.bmerrystudio.com/damascus-p ... ymondwood/

nb
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

Wow great work on the research the patent is pretty cool the only thing I would say about it is that it does not seem to allow much blade out of the handle. A little more blade out (Not sure how) and this could be a pretty cool & useful knife.