What's your LEAST favorite of all your favorites?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mushroom

Re: What's your LEAST favorite of all your favorites?

Post by Mushroom »

I was expecting the Ayoob to be an ergonomic masterpiece but it fell short in a number of ways. Of what I own, the Ayoob might be my least favorite.
-Nick :bug-red
amateur blacksmith

Re: What's your LEAST favorite model that you actually own?

Post by amateur blacksmith »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:35 pm
I think I failed to word this correctly. I wasn't so much looking for ones you failed to like, I meant to say "least favorite favorite" if that makes sense.
Hi David, Maybe you could run another thread of your most disliked or disappointing model?

That would also be an interesting one to follow. I'd start it myself but really it's your thread that spawned the idea.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

for me, it would be the chicago. the chicago was kind of a passive aggressive dig at my workplace having strict rules about blade length. ironically, i cut the crap out of my thumb with it one day. so much for shorter blades being safer. i can't get a rid of it though because it was a gift and because we're bonded by blood. my blood. quite a bit of it.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
benben

Post by benben »

I’m gonna get blasted for this, both the PM2 and the Para 3. I own two PM2’s and one Para 3, they’re all exclusives.

A Knifeworks Forest Green 204P and a Red DLT M390, and the Para 3 is a Knifecenter Cru-Wear with smooth Black G-10.

All three are excellent, super nice fit & finish, great lockup, perfect examples of those two models. But they just don’t do it for me so I’d have to say they’re my least favorite models!
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:49 pm
My ranking of current owned collection of spydercos from least favorite favorite to most favorite favorites:
calypso g10
Caly 3 vg10
Caly 3 superblue
Caly 3.5 zdp 189
Kopa tiger coral
Kopa stainless
Manbug g10
Ss delica

Clarification: Did you rank most favored @ top or @ bottom? Your intro could be read least ff @ top, but having read your posts for awhile, I'm guessing your most ff is @ top?

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:03 pm
i can't get a rid of it though because it was a gift and because we're bonded by blood. my blood. quite a bit of it.

LOLOL. Well said.
Last edited by Bolster on Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Skar

Post by Skar »

I haven't found a spyder that doesn't work for me.
My least favorite favorite... pacific salt
Fits me good, looks cool all blacked out se.
I just don't carry it often.
First time using it all the points bent in and I needed to sharpen them out.
Still I like the knife.

2nd least favorite favorite pm2, the detent feels sticky and the one that doesn't feel that way is too pretty (marbled carbon fiber) and I'm hesitant to mark it all up.
I should just have at it, it's no good unless it's carried.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I have two that I think fall into this category.

The first is my G-10 Dragonfly. Great knife, but I just prefer a lightweight Dragonfly. The G-10 model is too heavy.

The second are my two G-10 (now Micarta) Para 3s. Again, sweet knives, but I never carry them because the PM2 takes up the same pocket space and offers more blade length.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

dsvirsky wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:13 pm
Least favorite, favorite? Native Chief, I guess. I like everything about the knife, but I always find myself putting it back in the drawer and choosing something else, instead.
Me too. I never quite bonded with my DLC M4 Chief, even after I chamfered and RIT dyed the scales. It's beautiful, but every time I pull it out from way back in the back of the drawer, I admire it and then pick a PM2, Manix, Millie, PITS...

The Chief would have been in my first post, but it's not really a least-favorite favorite, I just plain don't like it. But I used to feel that way about my first PM2, and now I have five of them. People can change. ;)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I typically sell off anything that I no longer like, but I bought and kept my Cru-carta PM2 because I like the materials, steel, and ergos. I just hate comp locks and always have issues with them opening in my pocket, including this one, so I stopped carrying it. Definitely my least favorite due to this.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Here are a few that I rarely carry, but I'll probably never sell them because they all have some aspects that I admire and enjoy. Most are pleasing to the eye and nice to fondle, and I would carry one for a day or so as a "change of scenery" before defaulting to one of my go-to's again.

- Nilakka - fantastic flawless specimen, great cutter, great engineering, but too thick in the pocket.
- Tuff 3V - it's a beast, with a heavy action. Waaay too much knife most of the time, but extremely cool.
- JD Smith micarta SE - the action and lock feels very "old skool", because it is. I am not so keen on SE.
- Native 5 - blade always feels too short. That does not make sense because I love the UKPK that has a similar blade length.
- Most FRN/FRCP models - I have several scattered all around. Fantastic utilitarian work knives but not my cup of tea for EDC.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Zipper

Post by Zipper »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:23 pm
I was expecting the Ayoob to be an ergonomic masterpiece but it fell short in a number of ways. Of what I own, the Ayoob might be my least favorite.
+ 1.
I thought I was the only one!
The build quality and components are all what I look for in a knife. I probably expected more after all the build up.
I don’t hate it. Just not in love with it.
It is still an interesting piece and part of my collection I carry occasionally.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

It's my CPM Cruwear Delica. It has all my likes except for not being my all time favorite knife. The Endura. I've had Delicas almost as long as Enduras but I stopped carrying them. As I got old I became more set in my ways. I'm not complaining about the Delica but to be perfect it would be an Endura. I wouldn't get rid of it though and will force myself to carry it now and then as it's almost perfect.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Watu for me. I love almost everything about this spydie except the lock. They should have implemented the liner lock like in the big brother Chokwe. Same with the Kapara.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

elena86 wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:50 am
Watu for me. I love almost everything about this spydie except the lock. They should have implemented the liner lock like in the big brother Chokwe. Same with the Kapara.
Yeah, I feel the same about those two as well. Definitely great designs. Fantastic designs actually. I do feel the Watu is better than the Kapara with the CL. Flatter scales to pinch, but a Linerlock would have been nice on it. I think the Kapara would look stunning with a backlock. Contoured skinny scales don't play nice with a pinch to close.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

elena86 wrote:
JSumm wrote:
elena86 wrote:
Yeah, I feel the same about those two as well. Definitely great designs. Fantastic designs actually. I do feel the Watu is better than the Kapara with the CL. Flatter scales to pinch, but a Linerlock would have been nice on it. I think the Kapara would look stunning with a backlock. Contoured skinny scales don't play nice with a pinch to close.
This.

I would still have a Kapara if it had a liner- instead of a comp.lock (and IF I´d still have it (with its comp.lock) it could very well be my "least favorite of all my favorites" cause most other things are great on this knife)

Same with the Watu: If it had a linerlock like the Chokwe I´d most likely own a Watu - a lot of cutting for the overall package, and that I appreciate

@ Jeff: A backlock Kapara would be amazing, but I think it would have to have an a bit taller handle to fit both blade and backlock into it.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

Mamba.

It carries well enough, and feels GREAT in my hand but when I'm finally able to jam my thumb between the liners enough to get it unlocked, I'm rewarded with the flipper tab hitting me right on the cuticle of my thumb nail.

I can do the "claw" type unlock just fine and that would make it so I could theoretically use it, but then I'd have to figure out how to deal with the nearly three-quarter inch unground "choil" section at the heel of the blade when it comes time to sharpen it.

The fit and finish rivals anything I've ever owned at any price, and that's what will keep it in my collection forever. I've definitely owned other Spydies that were equally terrible, ergonomically (for my hands!!), but they were immediately sold.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I have Enduras in Supergold and Wharnie SE, the handles of which I don’t like disliking, if you know what I mean!
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

I dont like my:

Kapara
Native chief
Para 3
Delica
Native 5
Yojumbo
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

It's hard enough to rank the top of the drawer, ranking the bottom half is next to impossible.

Then there's the ever changing tastes and preferences. Some has spent years in the bottom of the drawer only to rise to the very top layer.

In the few years, or actually quite a few years at this point, I've been into knives I've managed to a accumulate more than I need. Even if I'm generous with the definition of "need". So something has to go, and guess we're looking for the one closest to the chopping block that still makes it (through this round at least).

From the top of my mind I think it has to be a tie between the HH Urban in G10/S90V and the SpydieChef.
Both are pretty good actually, but were somewhat betrayed by high expectations.

The Urban could have been the perfect intermediate EDC between a DF2 and a Delica, Even in it's current form it still manages to squeeze in between, but there's too little gain in edge length to justify the added bulk over the DF2.
With the listed blade/edge length (which is still misleading us with the old specs), the Urban compares very favorably to a Delica. With it's very efficient design it could pack a cutting edge only 6mm shorter than a Delica, in a handle that's a whooping 20mm shorter. What you really get is a blade that's 4.3mm shorter than listed, and that's all cutting edge (i.e. almost 10% less).
It's still a good knife. In fact it's the most ergonomic, easy to use slip joint I've ever experienced. And when a slippie is required, this will be my go-to option, but I'm not often required to, and the above issue is what's keeping being a relevant alternative to my regular EDC knives.

I bought the SpydieChef quite early, as far as my Spydercos go, and I was still quite new to everything and basing much of my decision making on internet "knowledge". Hence titanium frame locks were the bees knees. So as you might imagine an un rustable, titanium frame lock, folding chef's knife was pretty much irresistible. And I still think it's an idea that makes a lot of sense. The construction and choice of materials makes it very useful for outdoor cocking and food prep as far as maintenance and overcoming the elements, but falls short in some practical areas. I don't find the RIL particularly easy to operate safely with my hands covered in slippery food goo. Add a bit of cold and numb fingers to that mix and I would very quickly be tempted to trade all that ease of maintenance against a grippy FRN/G10 salt with a back lock.
The raised grip, long belly and positive blade angle defiantly makes it a pleasure to work with on a cutting board, but in actual cutting performance it leaves something to be desired. Again, it's not bad, it's just betrayed by my expectations tied to the "chef" moniker.
The above combined with a blade that has come open in my pocket a couple of times, rarely makes it an obvious choice for outdoor folding knife over a more generic, back lock, salt knife.
Still it has something special that I haven't found in any other folding knife yet, and I still find it a good choice when I don't expect to need it for much else than food prep, for instance in combination with a fixed blade and preferably carried in a pack.
anycal

Post by anycal »

I definitely have a least favorite Spyderco. Perhaps even couple. I am not good at selling knives, so they linger in my collection.

Now, least favorite of my favorites is a different category. This would be the Manix 2 LW. It is way too slippery. Having to depend on pushing it against the palm of my hand to disengage the lock, I dropped that thing more times than I like to admit. Also, although there are other 'blocky' knives, this one due to the smooth sharp edges of the plastic scales is just not comfortable with a strong grip.

Manix 2 G10 is a completely different story. Lot more comfortable, and stays put.
Peter