Why no deep carry pocket clip?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Why no deep carry pocket clip?

Post by Wartstein »

Hopsbreath wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:00 pm
Add me to the apparent minority who like Spyderco’s OEM clips....
When reading this thread I am not so sure if "we" are actually a minority ... ?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:41 pm
Hopsbreath wrote:
Add me to the apparent minority who like Spyderco’s OEM clips....
When reading this thread I am not so sure if "we" are actually a minority ... ?
Reminds me of the South Park episode where Cartman kept insisting he was the only non-minority in a raft. The irony of course being that in his particular instance, he was in fact in the minority.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Danke wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:33 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:48 am
Danke wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:38 am
Deep carry clips are an abomination.

The wire clip is a real favorite for me.
Deep carry clips = an abomination

But Wire Clips = Deep carry clips

Wire clips = an abomination? :anxious

:thinking

I’m mostly kidding, of course, I know what you mean. I just think it’s worth noting that their wire clips are the only deep carry option they regularly offer.
Just to note that first knife in your sig has a deep carry clip.

For the wire clips I don't really feel that they're the typical deep carry that totally submerges the knife like that PPT. They're more low-vis in my books.
Right and so does the second knife in my sig - it has a “deep carry wire clip.” Also, The PPT Perrin is discontinued and not regularly offered anymore though, leaving the “deep carry wire clip” as the only option currently offered directly from Spyderco.
Hopsbreath wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:39 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:14 pm
Hopsbreath wrote:
Add me to the apparent minority who like Spyderco’s OEM clips. Despite trying deep carry, I switched back to the standard spoon clip for both comfort and looks. The deep carry clip creates a hot spot the standard clip doesn’t (in my hand) and I think they look ugly. Also, I’ve twice recognized spyderco clips in strangers pockets but never a Lynch clip. I’m not convinced “the people” want deep carry but a good chunk of social media and knife forum users seem to love them. To each their own, it saves me $20 when I don’t replace it.
It is the Hourglass clip that you prefer, not the spoon clip. The Hourglass clip is often mistakenly referred to as the Spoon clip. They are distinctly different though.
I stand corrected. Educate me further, what’s a spoon clip?
The Spoon clip was used on the Spyderco Gunting. Once you see it, you’ll never mistake it for an hourglass clip again! :zipper (Hint: it is an atrocity. A crime against knife design)

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... ng-G-10/25

This knife is also a phenomenal example of how shallower carry clips are just not better than a deeper carry clip.
-Nick :bug-red
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

deep carry clips are not important to me. Doesn't bother me that i can kinda see my knife.
I Play With Salt Knives / instagram huyfishin
270ultimate

Post by 270ultimate »

Not wanting to hijack too much, but I've kinda wondered lately and this seems like a decent spot to ask...

Do deep carry clips affect Wave Openers much during the drawing process?
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

Well, a few on my Spyderco's sit a bit high out of my pocket and end up banging into things. I changed to a deep carry on my Delica Damascus and I thought I was in love before! There's no comparison. This aftermarket clip makes the knife disappear into my pocket and matches perfectly. Im a lawyer and really don't want to flaunt my knife around the clientele or in the courtroom. I guess I should feel lucky I can carry a knife in my local courtroom. I have a feeling that's going to end soon.
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:03 pm
The Spoon clip was used on the Spyderco Gunting. Once you see it, you’ll never mistake it for an hourglass clip again! :zipper (Hint: it is an atrocity. A crime against knife design)

This knife is also a phenomenal example of how shallower carry clips are just not better than a deeper carry clip.
I always forget the Gunting exists. It’s definitely in the running for Spyderco-iest Spyderco. The clip even follows the curve of the handle! Aaaand now I sort of want one.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:30 am
wrdwrght wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:26 am
Because Spyderco is not about hiding its knives?

For me: Post of the day... :beaming-face :1stplace:

Well now hang on, guys, let's not be handing out awards just yet. Review all the contestants first.

The Caly series (Calypso meaning alternately: "I conceal," "she who conceals," "to hide," "to cover") was a beloved series of Spyderco's knives that had deep carry wire clips and rounded butt ends that left almost nothing to see when stashed. Impressive ratio of blade size to handle when in use.

One of the reasons I'm such a big Caly fan, is that it's a knife I can carry around people, be well knifed, and nobody's the wiser. It is also a slim, trim design that is gentle on the leg and doesn't hog pocket space. Slender enough to comfortably fit inside the waist band.

I want deep carry for social situations, and have a slight preference for a higher profile clip for work, which gives an easier draw. All good just different.
Last edited by Bolster on Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Edit: it was already addressed
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:57 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:30 am
wrdwrght wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:26 am
Because Spyderco is not about hiding its knives?

For me: Post of the day... :beaming-face :1stplace:

Well now hang on, guys, let's not be handing out awards just yet. Review all the contestants first.

I forgot that in the US it is much earlier into the day than here in Europe... ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Caly being Caly...
Attachments
CalyBeingCaly.JPG
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Hopsbreath wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:43 pm
Mushroom wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/n1q2YoC.jpg

I always forget the Gunting exists. It’s definitely in the running for Spyderco-iest Spyderco. The clip even follows the curve of the handle! Aaaand now I sort of want one.
It’s definitely an interesting piece of Spyderco history. It was the knife that Sal created the compression lock for and it’s also a “left hand” compression lock. The clip positioning leaves much to be desired and as I’ve already stated, I think the clip itself could be use some refinement.

To be honest, I would like to have one in my collection for the sake of it’s history but as for the knife itself, I’m not exactly the biggest fan of the design - it’s a bit too niche for me.
-Nick :bug-red
R100

Post by R100 »

aicolainen wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:11 pm
For me, and for many others I think, it’s much more about necessity than preference.
Knives aren’t as widely accepted as they used to be, so outside activities where knives are still expected (outdoor, blue collar work etc.) I carry with deep carry clips or clipless in the bottom of my back pocket.

At different times I would find myself in any of the situations above, so I have a relaxed attitude toward this. Either is fine, just at different times. And the once suitable for use in non-outdoor/blue collar often comes without a clip or with a deep carry clip.
Some don’t, and I agree it can be a little annoying to depend on a third party to get the knife as I prefer, especially for us living outside the US that has considerably less access to such parts, but I realize that preferences vary and it’s truly a 1st world problem.
Same for me where I live. The only advantage of a deep carry clip is that it is more discrete but that is a big advantage.

Dan
Zipper

Post by Zipper »

R100 wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:24 pm
aicolainen wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:11 pm
For me, and for many others I think, it’s much more about necessity than preference.
Knives aren’t as widely accepted as they used to be, so outside activities where knives are still expected (outdoor, blue collar work etc.) I carry with deep carry clips or clipless in the bottom of my back pocket.

At different times I would find myself in any of the situations above, so I have a relaxed attitude toward this. Either is fine, just at different times. And the once suitable for use in non-outdoor/blue collar often comes without a clip or with a deep carry clip.
Some don’t, and I agree it can be a little annoying to depend on a third party to get the knife as I prefer, especially for us living outside the US that has considerably less access to such parts, but I realize that preferences vary and it’s truly a 1st world problem.
Same for me where I live. The only advantage of a deep carry clip is that it is more discrete but that is a big advantage.

Dan
I hear what you are saying. This is the reason I have a pocket (about 2-3 times longer than a regular coin pocket) sewn into my right hand pocket of my work pants. It has the benefit of separating my knife from anything else in my pocket and no clip showing - out of sight and out of mind.
The type of clip I use, no longer bothers me.
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

I don't find deep carry clips very practical. The chaparral has a really loose clip which makes it easy to draw but it feels like it could get pulled out of my pocket if I'm not careful. The lil' native has a really tight clip so it's not going to come out of my pocket accidentally but I have trouble getting it out when I want to. Comparing these to the dragonfly which doesn't have a deep carry clip, it's easy to draw because I have a half inch of the handle to grab onto and the clip is tight enough that it's not going to fall out of my pocket.
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

RustyIron wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:17 am
If Feng shui applies to knives, the deep carry PM2 and Native 5 don't have it.

Nail on the head. Found this out the hard way with both models. Nowadays the Native spoon clip is one of my favorites, funny how that happens.

edit: hourglass, my bad!
Last edited by Spicy Suplex on Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mushroom wrote:

While I have no love for this knife, there was definitely a reason for the clip placement.
n1q2YoC.jpg

If assume in self defense that hook dude would probably snag a pocket if it were carried deeper.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

jmj3esq wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:34 pm
Well, a few on my Spyderco's sit a bit high out of my pocket and end up banging into things. I changed to a deep carry on my Delica Damascus and I thought I was in love before! There's no comparison. This aftermarket clip makes the knife disappear into my pocket and matches perfectly. Im a lawyer and really don't want to flaunt my knife around the clientele or in the courtroom. I guess I should feel lucky I can carry a knife in my local courtroom. I have a feeling that's going to end soon.
if you like the delica on a deep carry clip and you are regularly dressed up at work, you need to check out the ikuchi. it rides deeper than the delica, probably even with the deep carry clip you have. it definitely rides much nicer since it's half as wide closed. the wire clip is very inconspicuous. it has more blade than the delica and is an excellent, slicey design.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I used to think it was really silly to spend an extra $20 every time you bought a $1-300 knife, but now I do it religiously. The knives without deep carry clips just don’t get carried.

I appreciate and respect that Sal is making room for Casey at LNW, but I also wouldn’t mind a Spyderco alternative. I see Sal’s point: I didn’t bother buying Casey’s clip for my Bugout, because the stock deep carry clip is just fine.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

RustyIron wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:17 am
jmj3esq wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:36 am

I think the traditional clips typically LOOK a nicer. The placement of the clip balances proportionally with the knife. The PM2 with a deep carry looks like the clip was an afterthought constructed by a twelve year old in the garage. The Native 5 isn't much better. The deep carry clip is at the very edge of the handle. If Feng shui applies to knives, the deep carry PM2 and Native 5 don't have it.
This was one of my points too, but you said it a lot better.

It is as subjective as it can get, has no practical application and so this is no"fair" point that can be made against deep carry clips at all, but I have yet to see a Spydie that does not just look weird or a lot less harmonic and a lot less nice with an after market deep carry clip - to MY eyes.

The worst to me are those clips, that actually extend backwards over the rear end of the handle (so "super deep carry")

But :More power who those who like such clips! They are just not for me.