Coarse stones for sharp maker

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
WyoJon

Coarse stones for sharp maker

Post by WyoJon »

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Alum ... -P719.aspx

Here are some nice coarse stones that will fit the sharp maker. Norton makes some in the india stone, but they are only 4"
Superflex

Re: Coarse stones for sharp maker

Post by Superflex »

Congress Tools also has 1/2" x 6" triangulars in may varieties.
I have the moldmaster set. The coarser stone (80 and 120) are a little rough on the edges. The finer stones are outstanding.
https://www.congresstools.com/catalog/c ... ory/?id=72
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Thanks, that's half the price of the Idahone stones: https://idahoners.com/products/7-triang ... 2238502026
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My only concern would be with wear/dishing and trying to lap them.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:09 am
What do you use for lapping, David?
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Thank you "WyoJon" for bringing up this subject. I've been saying that same statement over and over for years now concerning the 204 Sharpmaker not having a set of super aggressive stones. That's the one thing that makes the 204 Sharpmaker slightly less than perfect is the fact that they never made any stones that can remove stock at a faster rate. Oh sure the diamond stones somewhat address that problem but they don't do what a high quality extra coarse stone can do for a really dinged up, damaged blade edge.

I will be checking out this source to see what will work on my 204 Sharpmaker and make it a better sharpening tool. Because the 204 Sharpmaker kit is without a doubt the best kit you can take into the field or in any situation you don't have electricity handy. I tend to like to sharpen manually most of the time. I kind of get a feel for what it takes to make the edge super sharp when I do it the hard way.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Just out of routine I tend to replace all my "Medium stones" periodically especially on the Sharpmaker at least every 2 & a half to 3 years. Because as much as I use them I know they dish out and become uneven over time. I've only ever had to replace one set of FINE stones for the Sharpmaker. and I've never had to replace any Ultra-Fine stones ever.

Because the Medium stones on the 204 Sharpmaker are priced low enough that you don't have to lap them. It saves me a lot of time. I've even had to replace one of the medium stones on one set of my Spyderco 302 Benchstones. Even though the medium stones will wear over time it takes a while before they need replacing. Albeit if I could do it really efficiently I would be open to suggestions and time saving methods I may not be aware of.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:50 am
Evil D wrote:
Just out of routine I tend to replace all my "Medium stones" periodically especially on the Sharpmaker at least every 2 & a half to 3 years. Because as much as I use them I know they dish out and become uneven over time. I've only ever had to replace one set of FINE stones for the Sharpmaker. and I've never had to replace any Ultra-Fine stones ever.

Because the Medium stones on the 204 Sharpmaker are priced low enough that you don't have to lap them. It saves me a lot of time. I've even had to replace one of the medium stones on one set of my Spyderco 302 Benchstones. Even though the medium stones will wear over time it takes a while before they need replacing. Albeit if I could do it really efficiently I would be open to suggestions and time saving methods I may not be aware of.
I replaced my medium stones for the first time last year, and man what a difference 10 years makes.

I’ve also been better about cleaning my stones recently, which helps a lot.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:42 am
Thank you "WyoJon" for bringing up this subject. I've been saying that same statement over and over for years now concerning the 204 Sharpmaker not having a set of super aggressive stones. That's the one thing that makes the 204 Sharpmaker slightly less than perfect is the fact that they never made any stones that can remove stock at a faster rate. Oh sure the diamond stones somewhat address that problem but they don't do what a high quality extra coarse stone can do for a really dinged up, damaged blade edge.

I will be checking out this source to see what will work on my 204 Sharpmaker and make it a better sharpening tool. Because the 204 Sharpmaker kit is without a doubt the best kit you can take into the field or in any situation you don't have electricity handy. I tend to like to sharpen manually most of the time. I kind of get a feel for what it takes to make the edge super sharp when I do it the hard way.
I held off on a sharp maker for over 15 years because there was no course. Finally bought one recently. Used the stones by hand for finishing edges for years before.
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

Superflex wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:40 am
Congress Tools also has 1/2" x 6" triangulars in may varieties.
I have the moldmaster set. The coarser stone (80 and 120) are a little rough on the edges. The finer stones are outstanding.
https://www.congresstools.com/catalog/c ... ory/?id=72
How do they compare to sharpmaker brown?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:39 am
Evil D wrote:

A big diamond plate but I wanna get some glass and SIC powder, I think the plate is the wrong grit for my other stones, they tend to stop cutting as well after I lap.
~David
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

They must have sharpened hundreds of knives at Shot Show, I believe they were using the Diamond/cBN rods which was really handy because they don't load or require any liquid.

They were sharpening knives pretty quickly for people that were waiting.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:07 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Evil D wrote:

A big diamond plate but I wanna get some glass and SIC powder, I think the plate is the wrong grit for my other stones, they tend to stop cutting as well after I lap.
I think ive degraded a few good bench stones lapping poorly. Im always afraid not matching the stones grit ill end up surfacing the stone to a grit different than the stones partcle size. I surfaced a ceramic stone once and ruined it making it smooth.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

WyoJon wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:25 pm
Evil D wrote:
wrdwrght wrote:
Evil D wrote:

I think ive degraded a few good bench stones lapping poorly. Im always afraid not matching the stones grit ill end up surfacing the stone to a grit different than the stones partcle size. I surfaced a ceramic stone once and ruined it making it smooth.
Lapping the friable stuff I have on hand is something I’m doubtless “past-due”, but I know nothing about lapping except its concept.

So, the lapping surface must match the grit of the abrasive you’re maintaining, thus the possible need for multiple lapping stones?

wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Evil D wrote:
wrdwrght wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Thanks.

The glass plate and “swappable” SIC grit makes budgetary sense, at least.

WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

Since it will take weeks for Assassins Inc to deliver any stones I order with all the snow storms, I got some sand paper and binder clips as others suggested. The pictures explain the technique.
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

Screenshot_20230129_111649_Photos.jpg
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

20230129_122904.jpg
20230129_122917.jpg
20230129_123053.jpg
20230129_122917.jpg
20230129_122904.jpg
20230129_123104.jpg
Well my old beater ka bar 1189 that i bought used and beat up when i was about 13 that had no bevel set on it what so ever, which has always been a pain to put a decent edge on, feels like some old 440a stainless, I used the sharp maker at 30 deg, about 15 minutes with 120 grit, 5 minutes with 220, then straight to the brown sharp maker up to the ultra fine. Has a nice perfect bevel that is mirrored and is easily slicing rolling papers.
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

This knife is so beat up the chips in the brass are deaper than file work. The wooden scales dont alight with the brass anymore. Yet this thing is still solid, no play at all in the lock up. Bought a buck 110 not long after this, and still carried this one for years, till my first spyderco sometime in college. Its about 40% thinner than a buck 110, has a better blade profile and nice jimping on the blade spine.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

WyoJon wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:18 pm
Since it will take weeks for Assassins Inc to deliver any stones I order with all the snow storms, I got some sand paper and binder clips as others suggested. The pictures explain the technique.

I managed to reprofile Maxamet using this method so it absolutely does work. I'd recommend a decent quality silicon carbide sandpaper, I use this pack off Amazon, pretty good stuff for $8.

120 To 3000 Assorted Grit Sandpaper for Wood Furniture Finishing, Metal Sanding and Automotive Polishing, Dry or Wet Sanding, 9 x 3.6 Inch, 36-Sheet https://a.co/d/9Ow4nrS
~David