Please Tell Me About 15V

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Manifestgtr

Re: Please Tell Me About 15V

Post by Manifestgtr »

zuludelta wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:29 pm
I know ZDP has sort of fallen out of favour with the larger afi community as of late
I’ll admit that ZDP isn’t my favorite steel but it has a wonderful niche. It’s a high hardness, high edge retention steel that can be sharpened on any abrasive. That’s a big deal, imo…and something that I feel should be emphasized in any conversation Surrounding ZDP
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
bleasure

Post by bleasure »

BBB - seeing the news about further models in 15v makes me inclined to think we may see others down the road as well. besides the two already announced, are there any models - or particular blade shapes - you personally think would be ideal showcases for this steel, or do these three aready offer it?
sal

Post by sal »

electro-static wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:20 am
Part of me wonders if optimized and consistent Steel HT protocols are the next frontier in knife performance as people in the community are testing knives and seeing what you have: The same steel doesn’t mean the same performance, especially as steels like M390 seem to be in everything these days and the performance seems to vary so much from mfg to mfg.
Hi Electro-Static,

I submit that it has always been the case. Different companies, different custom makers, different equipment, different testers all using different processes and formulas to bring a blade steel to market.

sal
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Sorry for the thread hijack. I have a couple laminated ZDP-189 knives and love it. Aesthetically, it reminds me of a hamon line which is in line with Japanese knives and being most likely a Japan made knife it feels right. I like the way it strops up well so less sharpening needed. Looking forward to having the 15V Shaman and Mule
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

sal wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:52 pm
electro-static wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:20 am
Part of me wonders if optimized and consistent Steel HT protocols are the next frontier in knife performance as people in the community are testing knives and seeing what you have: The same steel doesn’t mean the same performance, especially as steels like M390 seem to be in everything these days and the performance seems to vary so much from mfg to mfg.
Hi Electro-Static,

I submit that it has always been the case. Different companies, different custom makers, different equipment, different testers all using different processes and formulas to bring a blade steel to market.

sal
It would be better if more companies were more upfront about it, I learn most of what I know from backyard scientists who do cut tests and Rockwell testing, as well as real world stuff. There is a reason why spyderco is my favorite honestly your HT is consistently excellent, with other companies I often don’t know what I am getting or why. I’d like to see a future what that type of excellence gets the same attention as the steel being used.
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Electro-Static for the kind words and trust. At the top, we're knife afi's, steel junky's AND edge junky's.

sal
carrot

Post by carrot »

vandelay wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:15 am
If ZDP-189 dragonflies were made again, I'd pick one up.
Same. ZDP-189 is still one of my favorites even though I love and appreciate K390
nevertakeadayoff

Post by nevertakeadayoff »

I regret not reading more on 15V... are they all gone now?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Perhaps shared already some place else, and nothing really new, but still nice to hear from "Mr. 15 V" / BBB himself.

https://youtu.be/h6DwlT2NDtU

One thing I found interesting is that they basically used up all the 15 V they initially purchased for the three sprints and the Mules.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Urkilnmesmalls

Post by Urkilnmesmalls »

I hope that there’s a 15V para 3 in the lineup. Would love to see a kapara too but doubt that would happen due to it not being a Golden model