Kopa satus (the new Caly 2.5?)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tristan_david2001

Kopa satus (the new Caly 2.5?)

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

the kopa. What a fine little knife. For its size, it is easily my favorite folder. Like the dragonfly, don’t let it’s size fool you, it’s a knife that’s designed exceedingly well for use. I appreciate how the series was focused on being beautiful, limited collections of higher end gentleman’s folders..but at the same time, I wish this model wasn’t so elusive, and turned into (like the dfly) a model that’s more aimed to be a real edc user. not having to worry about scuff/dirtying up the beautiful handle work and maybe something more standard and less expensive like frn or g10. Performance wise, the kopa and dfly are very similar, but I much prefer the kopa for a big reason. The ergonomics. Don’t get me wrong, I think the dfly respectfully has very solid ergos, but to me the kopas more neutral shape, softer contours and larger finger choil really do feel incredible in your standard forward grip. I think it would be an awesome idea if this model had a revival and became the Caly 2.5! As it’s general features are identical to the Calys, I think it would fit right in. I must sound like I’m dreaming as this is pretty unlikely to happen, perhaps because the dragonfly is already one of spydercos best-selling flagship models in its size class. But personally I can’t see any reason why the kopa model couldn’t be besides it’s initial introduction being quite exclusive, and higher end. Thoughts?
:bug-red-white
JRinFL

Re: Kopa satus (the new Caly 2.5?)

Post by JRinFL »

It just did not sell well enough fro Spyderco to keep it in the line up. I'm not sure why, maybe due it being originally released when the market was looking for massively overbuilt folders? With the resurgence of smaller blades these days maybe we will see a re-release.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Tristan_david2001

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:09 am
It just did not sell well enough fro Spyderco to keep it in the line up. I'm not sure why, maybe due it being originally released when the market was looking for massively overbuilt folders? With the resurgence of smaller blades these days maybe we will see a re-release.
Possibly due to that, and I think due to the expense of manufacturing, working with exotic materials for the inlays, high polished contoured bolsters etc. I believe the sprints all sold really well, each was only limited to 600. The kopa, like the calys are made in the moki factory, that possibly raised the cost on manufacturing. I think if they changed the materials to more regular production friendly cost, and possibly make them in golden co, it would be great seller. Hopefully the response to this on the forum pushes for it and the odds will change.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I can only speak for myself, but i think many, like me found the "Global kitchen knife" design a bit (too) plain. A stark contrast to the previous 16 variants and frankly, a bit of a disappointment.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Tristan_david2001

Larry_Mott wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:27 pm
I can only speak for myself, but i think many, like me found the "Global kitchen knife" design a bit (too) plain. A stark contrast to the previous 16 variants and frankly, a bit of a disappointment.
Not sure what you mean by “global kitchen knife” design. But maybe you’re talking about the last sprint run in the all contoured steel handle ? I guess I could see how in comparison to the previous 16 sprints it could be a little underwhelming not having those nice bolsters, but I think the latest version is better at being geared towards an edc user. I also don’t mind it being clipless, doesn’t disrupt the ergos as much and the knife is small enough to throw in the 5th pocket.

It’s still a great knife, and the design is too good to be left forgotten.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:57 pm

Not sure what you mean by “global kitchen knife” design. But maybe you’re talking about the last sprint run in the all contoured steel handle ? I guess I could see how in comparison to the previous 16 sprints it could be a little underwhelming not having those nice bolsters, but I think the latest version is better at being geared towards an edc user. I also don’t mind it being clipless, doesn’t disrupt the ergos as much and the knife is small enough to throw in the 5th pocket.

It’s still a great knife, and the design is too good to be left forgotten.
Yes, i am talking about the 17:th iteration of the Kopa. I have no doubt about the quality of the knife, again it was just the fact it was rather underwhelming IMO.
(I own all 17 variants)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
sal

Post by sal »

JRinFL wrote:
Hi Jim,

The Kopa model sold well, especially at the limited numbers that we made. In fact I've heard some pretty high worth figures for collections. One customer had their collection stolen and the insurance payment was far more than the original cost of the collection.

We stopped making them because the maker was having problems with health issues and wasn't able to get the quality with some of the materials that we were trying to use, so we ended the program.

Hi Tristan_David,

We'll draw up a Caly 2.5 and make prototype.

sal
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

sal wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:48 pm

sal

Whoa!

(Surely hope there's a Caly 3 in the works, too...!)
Last edited by Bolster on Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Tristan_david2001

sal wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:48 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Hi Jim,

The Kopa model sold well, especially at the limited numbers that we made. In fact I've heard some pretty high worth figures for collections. One customer had their collection stolen and the insurance payment was far more than the original cost of the collection.

We stopped making them because the maker was having problems with health issues and wasn't able to get the quality with some of the materials that we were trying to use, so we ended the program.

Hi Tristan_David,

sal
Hi Sal,
Thank you very much for responding, & the best response I could have asked for! the Kopa is simply is one of the best knife designs I’ve seen and have the pleasure to use. I think it would be really great for more people to get to be able to get a very exciting version of it again without needing to spend around $300 and upwards
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

2.5” has become my ideal size for a pocket knife, so I’d definitely be interested but a Caly 2.5 is basically just a locking Urban, right?
-Nick :bug-red
Tristan_david2001

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:12 pm
2.5” has become my ideal size for a pocket knife, so I’d definitely be interested but a Caly 2.5 is basically just a locking Urban, right?
I’d say it’s… close…

I would like it to resemble more of the kopa blade and slim handle profile which is is distinct feature in the Caly series.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:23 pm
Mushroom wrote:
I’d say it’s… close…

I would like it to resemble more of the kopa blade and slim handle profile which is is distinct feature in the Caly series.
What Sal is drawing will not resemble a Kopa at all though, it’s a different platform.

I probably shouldn’t have posed that as a question. A Caly 2.5” is just a locking Urban.

Again, I’m not against it and will likely be in the market for it.
Tristan_david2001

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:32 pm
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Mushroom wrote:
I’d say it’s… close…

What Sal is drawing will not resemble a Kopa at all though, it’s a different platform.

I probably shouldn’t have posed that as a question. A Caly 2.5” is just a locking Urban.

The kopa and Caly 3 are different in name, but there’s only subtle differences aside from size that make them a different general design platform. There’s definite close lineage between them. This thread was just suggesting the Kopa be revived with subtle changes as the 2.5” Caly.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:49 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:32 pm
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Mushroom wrote:
I’d say it’s… close…

The kopa and Caly 3 are different in name, but there’s only subtle differences aside from size that make them a different general design platform. There’s definite close lineage between them. This post is suggesting the Kopa be revived with subtle changes as the 2.5” Caly.
The Caly 3 and Kopa are very different designs and not nearly as similar as you’re insinuating.

Sal said he’ll draw and prototype a Caly 2.5 - it’s pretty straight forward what that means and modified Kopa is not that.
sal

Post by sal »

Yes,

Very close to an Urban. Different maker and probably different materials.

sal
Tristan_david2001

The reason why I suggest the kopa as a point of reference with the caly is because their profiles are all slender relative to their length. Like the kopa. Scaling down the Caly 3 I’d prefer to see it remain a slender profile as opposed to the urban descendant from the ukpk, which went to a broader profile. personally, if the Caly 2.5 took the route I’m suggesting, it would feel like a cqi’d, and more user focused variant of the kopas pattern, which would be an excellent thing…
Nevertheless, I’m glad to see Sals interest in this.
Last edited by Tristan_david2001 on Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

A backlock Urban, hopefully with a longer blade than the current Urban. Ohh, I think a new favorite could be in the pipeline
Matus

Post by Matus »

aicolainen wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:36 am
A backlock Urban, hopefully with a longer blade than the current Urban. Ohh, I think a new favorite could be in the pipeline
After making the first Urbas accidentally with 2.65" blade, the current Urban is 2.5" (I think that topic was discussed in a sufficient detail already), so I would not expect a 2.5 Caly is unlikely to have a blade longer than 2.5".

Chaparral has 2.8" blade with a 2.35" edge. Yes, Urban has the better ergonomics (because the Chaparral handle is a little too thin). I just wanted to point out, that there is a small, EDC knife with a blade a bit longer than 2.5".
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

FYI NationalKnives.com still has the SS Kopa in stock. And I hate you people..... Nah, I don't.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Matus wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:47 am
aicolainen wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:36 am
After making the first Urbas accidentally with 2.65" blade, the current Urban is 2.5" (I think that topic was discussed in a sufficient detail already), so I would not expect a 2.5 Caly is unlikely to have a blade longer than 2.5".

Chaparral has 2.8" blade with a 2.35" edge. Yes, Urban has the better ergonomics (because the Chaparral handle is a little too thin). I just wanted to point out, that there is a small, EDC knife with a blade a bit longer than 2.5".
Thanks, Matus!
I'm quite up to speed on the smaller Spydercos, but I always appreciate a helpful response.

I have the chaparral, and it's great. But I have a knife problem, so if I can have more great, that's always interesting :)
As for the Urban, I'm not quite sure what to think. If there's a demand for slipjoints/non-locking knives under a legal limit of 2.5", I can understand if Spyderco wants to play in that pond. I'm not aware of any jurisdiction requiring knives to be both non-locking and under 2.5", and while that might exist - how big is that market? Is it worth hampering a great design, making it less attractive for every knife buyer not subject to such restrictions? I got in in the HH S90V Urban, and I love the ergonomics, it's probably the most comfortable Spyderco for my hand, but the blade leaves me wanting, so it doesn't the pocket time it could have had.
I won't pretend to know the answers to all of this, but if they are really serious about targeting that market, and the blade of the Urban is really under 2.5", they should at least update the specs in the catalogue reflect that.

I've only seen the Kopa in pictures, and don't find it very appealing. The Urban is close to perfection as far as handle length/ergos go, but in its current iteration I find its potential somewhat held back by a unnecessary short blade and corresponding blade profile. So my straw of hope here, is very much attached to the Caly nomenclature. I'm not sure how the Caly pedigree will influence the end product, but hoping to retain some of the Urban ergos combined with Caly slenderness, backlock and blade/edge to handle efficiency.
It may turn out completely different, but a man can always dream :)