Am I the only one wishing for a Salty Magnacut Linerless Police 4 LW?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
horzuff

Am I the only one wishing for a Salty Magnacut Linerless Police 4 LW?

Post by horzuff »

Was reading one of the Stretch XL threads and everyone was going on about a salty version yet I almost never see the Police 4 LW proposed in the same context.

Is there some reason for that? Am I missing something? The endura has its salty brethren, and shares same construction with the P4LW. If size/strength was the problem, then the Stretch XL would face similar issues.

Imagine the Police 4 LW, even lighter, well brined, one can hope :smiling-hearts
ladybug93

Re: Am I the only one wishing for a Salty Magnacut Linerless Police 4 LW?

Post by ladybug93 »

the reason people have gone on about a s2xl salt is because it's already linerless. that means spyderco doesn't have to develop new molds to make it into a salt. all they have to do is put a sheet of lc200n or h2 into the machine and cut out a s2xl blade and then use green or yellow frn instead of black and we have a salt.

police lw salts have been mentioned a bit in the past. i'm almost positive vivi has asked for one. spyderco would have to make new molds to make it happen though, so it would be a much more costly endeavor for them.

personally, i'd be down both. :)
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

At this point I'm automatically interested in anything offered in MagnaCut and particularly SE, but I'm starting to feel a little nervous about Seki and the way they're grinding serrations, so I'd have to say it's a hard maybe.

Just comparing two knives....my K390 Police 4 vs the MagnaCut Native 5 I just got, one is ready to be used/sharpened/use right out of the box and the other tool a ton of reprofiling that ultimately ruined the serrations, so I'm hesitant to buy more SE from Seki.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I haven't handled the S2 XL, but I do own a P4 LW and I really like the way it feels in hand. I also prefer the blade profile. I'd be interested, but I'm doubtful we'll see this model.

The Native Chief LW is probably a better candidate for Magnacut.
horzuff

Post by horzuff »

Yeah, I know about the liners, that's why I mentioned the Endura which also has liners and a Salty alter ego. But I guess the Police, a pocket sword that it is, is a much less popular knife which makes it a less financially sound idea

I wasn't thinking about SE honestly, but good to know the Seki teeth are going down in quality, I was considering some serrated japanese Spydercos, maybe I'll rethink that.

The Native Chief is nice, but a bit stabby and a different beast altogether. Though I'm pleasantly surprised it's only 3,2mm blade thickness. Somehow I thought it's as thick as the Millie/Para 2
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

horzuff wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:52 am

I wasn't thinking about SE honestly, but good to know the Seki teeth are going down in quality, I was considering some serrated japanese Spydercos, maybe I'll rethink that.

I wouldn't say down in quality, they cut great, they're just not the style I prefer.
~David
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I'm going to pick a couple of nits here. Those K390 serrations on the P4LW cut just fine from the factory. They were ready to go to work right out of the box and matched the SharpMaker 20° per side slots. Chasing even higher performance was what required a ton of reprofiling, and improper technique is what ruined your serrations.

Yes, the Endura has its Salt equivalent in the Pacific. The Pacific Salt was an established model with years of sales before it ever got its own molds. For the first 14 years, it used the molds from the third generation Endura.

Since I live a thousand miles from the nearest ocean, Salt models hold little interest for me. I would pick K390 over Magnacut every time.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I seem to recollect hoping something like a P4 Salt would come to fruition, but that’s a couple of years ago now, and things have changed.

Primarily the S2XL LW as LB mentioned. I haven’t tried either, but the S2XL is both more appealing to me (as much as a large folder can) and seems much closer to actually happening. I would be surprised if it wasn’t already in the works, just working out the changes, testing and cue up for a production slot.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:40 am
I'm going to pick a couple of nits here. Those K390 serrations on the P4LW cut just fine from the factory. They were ready to go to work right out of the box and matched the SharpMaker 20° per side slots. Chasing even higher performance was what required a ton of reprofiling, and improper technique is what ruined your serrations.

Chasing higher performance? Maybe, but more like making sharpening and long term sharpening better. Maybe I use mine harder than you, I do and will damage my edges and I want to be able to hone out chips easily. After a few times fixing the edge on the 40 slots, my edge is going to be far thicker than I want and performance will drop. I would just rather start with a thinner bevel so it has somewhere to go.

For the record my poor technique worked just fine for 20 other SE knives before that one.
~David
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I think we asked before and were told that there are no plans for a police lightweight salt.

Fine whatever.

My question is where are all the police 4 lightweight sprints and exclusives????????

Theres no problem with Seki serrations.
The problem with the serrated k390 p4lw is that its k390.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

VooDooChild wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:32 am
My question is where are all the police 4 lightweight sprints and exclusives????????

I emailed Knife Works about their dark green/204P combo on this model. Hopefully it comes to pass one day. Are their any sprints or exclusives you’d like to see?
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Also, would people be okay with Magnacut and liners?
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

See sig…. I’m in!!
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

I could certainly go for some flavor of 4" Magnacut Salt knife.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

p_atrick wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:49 am
VooDooChild wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:32 am

I emailed Knife Works about their dark green/204P combo on this model. Hopefully it comes to pass one day. Are their any sprints or exclusives you’d like to see?
Hap40, super blue, vtoku 2
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."