Should I go for it?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dePaul

Should I go for it?

Post by dePaul »

There is an Endura G2 on a swedish auction site. It's not mint but close to. The price is up at $ 20 right now but I expect it to rise. What do you say guys, should I go for it or drop it? Furthermore, how good/bad is the G2 blade steel?

~Paul~
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

What would your reason be for bidding on it. Are you looking at it as a "collectors item" or as a user. From a collectors point of view, assuming black FRN, anything less than NIB is not really worth very much as there were a ton of them made. Some colors might be worth more, even used, not into Enduras myself, so not really sure what was offered and when. As a user, unless you really like the older style handle with the molded clip, it comes down to a question of how big a difference there is between the auction price and what a new one would cost you. G2, which is actually GIN-1, is an excellent steel, but the later ones got progressively better.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
dePaul

Post by dePaul »

OK, I am a collector. However, I didn't know there were so many made. The handle is black indeed. I just thought that the price was maybe reasonable?

Thanks,
~Paul~
Titus

Post by Titus »

That sounds pretty reasonable to me. I probably wouldn't give more than what a current Endura costs, but for $20 I would take it if I was looking for one.
dePaul

Post by dePaul »

That was my thougts also. I don't own an Endura yet as it is. Maybe I should clarify this issue. In order to import an Endura from US, I'd have to pay something like $ 120 at least!

~Paul~
Titus

Post by Titus »

Wow! :eek: Definitely bid on it.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Titus wrote:That sounds pretty reasonable to me. I probably wouldn't give more than what a current Endura costs, but for $20 I would take it if I was looking for one.
I would too Titus. My statement could have been clearer but I was going by dePaul's observation that The price is up at $ 20 right now but I expect it to rise. Not knowing what the "going rate" for a mint one would be in Sweden does make puttng a value on a "gently used" one difficult.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
WOTANSON1

Post by WOTANSON1 »

I recently got two integral clip Aus 8 Endura's on ebay for $60 USD (for both). Great knives, my current favorite pattern. If you want a great knife, pick it up ;) .
Cheers,
Rob
International Order of the SpyderEdge-founding member

Faith, Folk and Family

If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
If this is written in English, thank a US Soldier

NOT my "president"

Proud Member of SOSAK
Clay Kesting

Post by Clay Kesting »

G'day Paul,

How are you? I just mentiond in another thread that I hadn't seen you around for a while. Maybe that's just because I haven't been around much :) .

At that price I'd go for it. I've found that G2 takes a good edge but doesn't hold it as long as some of the newer steels.

take care,
clay
"The best boats are either small enough to carry home, or big enough to live on." Phillip C. Bolger (1927-2009)
dePaul

Post by dePaul »

Hi Clay, how are you, long time!! You're right, I've been busy this year. Most of my spare time is spent on fishing and then there were some private issues.

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll grab that Endura. It's still only $20. What's your current favorite? I acquired a NIB EKA Swede 88 the other day and now I can't part from it :)

~Paul~

Post by 224477 »

dePaul,

I got a ProGrip in G2, IMO the edge retention is not the one I would expect.
I you only miss some Endura, then go for the VG10 (nowadays model).
If you miss the "old school" then go for this one.
I would better explain it in my natural language which would you understand better, but I want also that others understand.

Hezkej den ze Slovenska :)
Jano
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
cornelis

Post by cornelis »

In 1994 I'd bought a Endura PE with G2. Still I like this knife a lot. I have used
it as a hunter and as an EDC. My current knife for that tasks is my unsurpassed STRETCH. I like the endura with the molded grip ( feels better to
the hand than a metal one) and the easy to sharpen G2,
that also holds an edge.
I'd say buy!
Cornelis
AUDACIA MAGIA EST
dePaul

Post by dePaul »

Thanks guys. I think I'll bit on that E. I realize the blade steel is not up to pair with the current top of the line steels. However, I kind of enjoy sharpening ;)

Hey 224477 how are you doing. What's your nick on the Czech forum? Unfortunately my Slovak (or even Czech) language skills are no longer what they should to be.

There is not much to be read about the G2 (Gin1) blade steel. Was Spyderco the only Co using it?

~Paul~
Titus

Post by Titus »

No, I think that BM used to use Gin-1 also. I wouldn't be too worried about the steel. If :spyder: used G-2 it is probably good. I'm guessing that it holds an edge better that AUS-6, but not better that AUS-8. :confused: I think that Spyderco switch to 8A from G-2, but I'm not sure.
dePaul

Post by dePaul »

OK, I realize you're much more informed than I am, Titus. I thought G2 was in the same category as 440C. Well, never mind, the G2 Endura is still tempting :)

~Paul~
Titus

Post by Titus »

Don't listen to me. :p Seems wierd to switch from G2 to 8A if that's what they did. I really don't know. :confused:

Post by 224477 »

dePaul wrote:Hey 224477 how are you doing. What's your nick on the Czech forum? Unfortunately my Slovak (or even Czech) language skills are no longer what they should to be.
Hello dePaul,
I think you already managed to find me there LOL.. :D
Your czech is still very good, it is difficult to forget your natural language, even when living abroad. I enjoy the stay here, this became a 2nd home for me. Great people all around, very friendly athmosphere. See ya here and there.. ;)
Jano
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."