any plans for a PM2 lightweight?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sethwm

any plans for a PM2 lightweight?

Post by sethwm »

I’d love a PM2 lightweight. Same sorta construction as the para3 LW. Same FRN, wire clip, compression lock, etc.

Anything in the works?
Mushroom

Re: any plans for a PM2 lightweight?

Post by Mushroom »

I do not know any more than anyone else but yes, it’s in the works.
-Nick :bug-red
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

This has been discussed a few times now. I think it’s been prototyped, but probably very far off still.

I think there is some hesitation around “getting it right the first time,” just like there was around the Military 2.

In the mean time, you might consider a Stretch LW, especially the K390 version. It’s the same size, has very similar ergonomics, a nice straight clip point blade, and is readily available.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

Why make a Survival knife lite? They need to have mussel.🤔
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

They even produced the BD1N PM2 blade already which the base model of the PM2 LW presumably will feature (just like the Para 3 LW does) - in that aluminum exclusive (https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... ck--105230). This one was the closest to a PM2 LW so far anyway, if one specifically looks at he actual weight (3.25 oz)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
anycal

Post by anycal »

Unlike the Para 3 LW, this one needs partial liners on both sides, and two PB washers. Otherwise I'm out.
Peter
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I’m not a fan of the milling pattern on the aluminum scales; absolute cheese grater of a pattern. I have stopped carrying it. Other than that, what a beautiful knife.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:36 am
They even produced the BD1N PM2 blade already which the base model of the PM2 LW presumably will feature (just like the Para 3 LW does) - in that aluminum exclusive (https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... ck--105230). This one was the closest to a PM2 LW so far anyway, if one specifically looks at he actual weight (3.25 oz)
I hope a Military 2 is made like this in regular production.
It would become more interesting to me. Especially with a serrated version.

Those aluminum PM2s are the best ones, in my opinion.
Light (linerless), Colorful, lower price, and yet the metal (aluminum) is probably more confidence inspiring than FRN, which would all translate well to the Military 2.
FRN is my favorite normally, but I think I actually like the aluminum more for linerless compression locks.

It would be nice to different textures or just plain flat aluminum with different finishes.

I pretty much said all this yesterday in a different thread, though!

Having said all of that, I’m still looking forward to the PM2 lightweight in FRN. I think it will be a great knife that I’ll probably like more than the G10 or Micarta versions from the factory.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Cl1ff wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:25 am
Wartstein wrote:

Light (linerless), Colorful, lower price, and yet the metal (aluminum) is probably more confidence inspiring than FRN, which would all translate well to the Military 2.
FRN is my favorite normally, but I think I actually like the aluminum more for linerless compression locks.

It would be nice to different textures or just plain flat aluminum with different finishes.

Having said all of that, I’m still looking forward to the PM2 lightweight in FRN. I think it will be a great knife that I’ll probably like more than the G10 or Micarta versions from the factory.
I have no experience with larger, linerlocks [EDIT: Meant linerLESS, not linerLOCK...] FRN comp.locks (obviously, there are none... ;) ), just had a Para 3 LW for a month, and it did fine in (almost) linerless.

It could very well be that a large, linlerless comp.lock knife might end up being too "flexy"? Or more flexy than a large linerless Back lock knife, since the steel of the lockbar ist not there to support the structure?
Last edited by Wartstein on Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:20 pm
Cl1ff wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:25 am
Wartstein wrote:

I have no experience with larger, linerlocks FRN comp.locks (obviously, there are none... ;) ), just had a Para 3 LW for a month, and it did fine in (almost) linerless.

It could very well be that a large, linlerless comp.lock knife might end up being too "flexy"? Or more flexy than a large linerless Back lock knife, since the steel of the lockbar ist not there to support the structure?
I’d be ok with skeletonized liners though I suppose this is my longer lightweight. I like the rounded edges on the handle of my para 3 lw a bunch.
Vladimir1970

Post by Vladimir1970 »

akapennypincher wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:27 am
For survival in extreme conditions, fixed blade knives are more suitable! IMHO
akapennypincher

Vladimir1970 wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:38 pm
akapennypincher wrote:
Your point is valid be when doo doo happens I would rather have sturdy folder verses nothing or lightweight.

Honestly if packing a 3oz., v/s 5oz folder is killing you, get on diet.

Diet was humor, but like guy who spent $400.00 on Titanium Parts to make Road Bicycle 2 pounds lighter.

They could have diet off 5-10 but cutting junk food, and save big bucks of junk food and lightweight parts.😍
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

akapennypincher wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:52 pm
Vladimir1970 wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:38 pm
akapennypincher wrote:
Your point is valid be when doo doo happens I would rather have sturdy folder verses nothing or lightweight.

Honestly if packing a 3oz., v/s 5oz folder is killing you, get on diet.

Diet was humor, but like guy who spent $400.00 on Titanium Parts to make Road Bicycle 2 pounds lighter.

They could have diet off 5-10 but cutting junk food, and save big bucks of junk food and lightweight parts.😍
Sure but a lightweight is more than just lighter. The FRN feels better imho than the g-10.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Wartstein wrote:
I have no experience with larger, linerlocks FRN comp.locks (obviously, there are none... ;) ), just had a Para 3 LW for a month, and it did fine in (almost) linerless.

I carry a Benchmade Bugout on a regular basis, and if I really want to I can flex the scales easily. I can do the same on my Para 3 LW, but not as easily. Funny thing is, the knives still cut great. Who knew? :p

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:39 pm
Wartstein wrote:

I carry a Benchmade Bugout on a regular basis, and if I really want to I can flex the scales easily. I can do the same on my Para 3 LW, but not as easily. Funny thing is, the knives still cut great. Who knew? :p

:grin-sweat .. I know, that´s what counts (if they cut properly) and I am actually a fan of large linerless FRN models (Pac Salt, Stretch XL..). Even if I can deliberately provoke more flex than in linered versions, this has never had any implications in real use. Work perfectly fine.

I can´t tell though what Spydercos own standards are on the perceived rigidity of linerless comp. lock or linerlock models, and at which point flex on a long handle could have an influence on the security of the lockup in extreme situations - even more so on a linerlock
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

akapennypincher wrote:
What makes the PM2 a "survival knife"? And if it's a "survival knife", then surely every other g10 knife with a 3 inch blade could be called a survival knife, too. Right?

But anyway, the regular PM2 will still be made. A lightweight version would only be an addition. So you can rest easy knowing you'll still be able to slay those zombies in the apocalypse while you watch in vindication as those lightweight knives crumble around you. When they come running to you to save the world, politely lock them out of your house and tell them "I told you so". I'd like to say they'll learn their lesson, but there probably won't be much of them left after the zombies get to them.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:08 am
kennethsime wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

:grin-sweat .. I know, that´s what counts (if they cut properly) and I am actually a fan of large linerless FRN models (Pac Salt, Stretch XL..). Even if I can deliberately provoke more flex than in linered versions, this has never had any implications in real use. Work perfectly fine.

I can´t tell though what Spydercos own standards are on the perceived rigidity of linerless comp. lock or linerlock models, and at which point flex on a long handle could have an influence on the security of the lockup in extreme situations - even more so on a linerlock
Hmm… I guess I hadn’t thought about that. I think with the comp lock, the vertical rigidity is what matters - from belly to spine, if you will. I guess the same is true for a liner lock.

I don’t think that scale flex would have much affect on either - the lock spring should be stable, and independent of the scale, shouldn’t it?

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:44 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:08 am
kennethsime wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Hmm… I guess I hadn’t thought about that. I think with the comp lock, the vertical rigidity is what matters - from belly to spine, if you will. I guess the same is true for a liner lock.

I don’t think that scale flex would have much affect on either - the lock spring should be stable, and independent of the scale, shouldn’t it?

I am not so sure: With a linerlock I´d imagine that if a a handle flexes / twists too much "lengthwise" (so grabbed at the handle end and the handle front (where the blade comes out) and then flexed) this could very well lead to the lock disengaging or at least not locking up as proper anymore?

I don´t have a "flexy" liner- or comp lock , "just" two Tenacious LW and a PM2, both very rigid "lengthwise", so I can´t test.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:52 am
I am not so sure: With a linerlock I´d imagine that if a a handle flexes / twists too much "lengthwise" (so grabbed at the handle end and the handle front (where the blade comes out) and then flexed) this could very well lead to the lock disengaging or at least not locking up as proper anymore?

I don´t have a "flexy" liner- or comp lock , "just" two Tenacious LW and a PM2, both very rigid "lengthwise", so I can´t test.
Ah, that makes sense. I was trying to imagine disengaging the lock by pinching the knife, which I couldn’t imagine. The Bugout gets around this by having liners around the lock itself - I think a similar approach with partial liners on both sides, as indicated by anycal above, would probably work well for a PM2 lightweight.

akapennypincher

BornIn1500 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:55 am
akapennypincher wrote:
What makes the PM2 a "survival knife"? And if it's a "survival knife", then surely every other g10 knife with a 3 inch blade could be called a survival knife, too. Right?

But anyway, the regular PM2 will still be made. A lightweight version would only be an addition. So you can rest easy knowing you'll still be able to slay those zombies in the apocalypse while you watch in vindication as those lightweight knives crumble around you. When they come running to you to save the world, politely lock them out of your house and tell them "I told you so". I'd like to say they'll learn their lesson, but there probably won't be much of them left after the zombies get to them.

I like beefy knives, I like folders, any Knife is better than no knife.

Just my idea.