Caspian

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
skeeg11

Caspian

Post by skeeg11 »

Hi Sal---

Seems to be some chatter on SOL (stripersonline) re: the Caspian.

https://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk ... t-17623252

It appears that Spyderco relies heavily on reputation word of mouth for sales impetus. Advertising can be expensive, but I can't help but wonder if a little targeted advertising for niche knives like the Caspian in their intended demographic would be well worthwhile. Stripersonline is one of the largest salt water fishing forums and I doubt that most of their members or followers are aware of Spyderco's Salt series.
Surfingringo

Re: Caspian

Post by Surfingringo »

skeeg11 wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:44 pm
Hi Sal---

It appears that Spyderco relies heavily on reputation word of mouth for sales impetus. Advertising can be expensive, but I can't help but wonder if a little targeted advertising for niche knives like the Caspian in their intended demographic would be well worthwhile. Stripersonline is one of the largest salt water fishing forums and I doubt that most of their members or followers are aware of Spyderco's Salt series.
Hey Skeeg, I think that’s a great idea and would probably be an efficient way to do some highly targeted marketing. The fishing world is HUGE. Spyderco makes the best rust proof knives in the world yet only has a small share of that market.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Additionally, Scuba Diving publications and websites.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:53 pm
skeeg11 wrote:
Hi Sal---

I think that’s a great idea and would probably be an efficient way to do some highly targeted marketing. The fishing world is HUGE. Spyderco makes the best rust proof knives in the world yet only has a small share of that market.
Agreed. I find it difficult to understand why Spyderco's Salt series doesn't have a much larger presence in the fishing industry. The only thing I could come up with is a lack of exposure. Maybe most fishermen don't know any better and think that fishing knives should be cheap and disposable like box cutters. :disappointed
atv223

Post by atv223 »

skeeg11 wrote:
Hi Sal---

I've been an active member on SOL for well over a decade, I mostly frequent the kayak fishing forum. I was the second person to post on that thread. Funny, before I was really into my Spyderco addiction and before the secondary market went nuts, someone posted on SOL about a bunch of Caspians for sale on eBay. I grabbed one for about $175, and I regret not getting a second. I've been posting about the Salt Series there for years, I even did a nice post when the Siren came out to get it some traction in the kayak fishing community.

I haven't been on this forum in a while, but after reading that most recent knife post on SOL and all of the people mentioning their Caspians, I came over here to see if MAYBE a sprint run of it in LC200N was in the works, something I've been wishing for for years.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Caspian Salt is one of the very few Spyderco models I never owned unfortunately. And since it was discontinued I've never been able to snag one on the secondary market. So many guys who bought one years ago have all testified as to how great of a fixed blade diving knife it was. I'm also sure the fishing industry would embrace this great model.

This would be an ideal Sprint Run that I believe would sell out in short order. However it might be good to see why the original run of the Capian Salt got discontinued in the first place. Albeit there are so many Spyderco models that didn't attain a fan base until they got disco'd.

A Caspian Salt in both edge types in LC200N would be a model that divers and fishermen would take a serious look at I'm certain. I've never heard anyone say that they didn't like that model either.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Deja vu! I seem to remember this same topic being brought up a few years ago and stripers online was also mentioned then as well.

Anyway I would love to see the Caspian Salt revisited. There is a market for “river knives” these days and I think both the blunt tip and pointed tip models would sell. It would appeal to fisherman, kayakers, white water rafters, divers, etc.
-Nick :bug-red
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

skeeg11 wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:16 pm
Surfingringo wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:53 pm
skeeg11 wrote:
Hi Sal---

I think that’s a great idea and would probably be an efficient way to do some highly targeted marketing. The fishing world is HUGE. Spyderco makes the best rust proof knives in the world yet only has a small share of that market.
Agreed. I find it difficult to understand why Spyderco's Salt series doesn't have a much larger presence in the fishing industry. The only thing I could come up with is a lack of exposure. Maybe most fishermen don't know any better and think that fishing knives should be cheap and disposable like box cutters. :disappointed
Maybe they figure it's going to be lost over the side anyway, so why spend a lot on it.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

With regards to why Spyderco seems to have a small share of the diving/fishing knife market, I guess the concensus seems to point to the cost.

I do freediving and have friends in the diving and line tackle fishing community where I'm at. Most of their knives are the cheap, sub-$50 ones. They're hesitant on spending more than $50 for a knife that could potentially be lost while diving or boating. i even tried convincing a close diver friend to try even a Dragonfly salt - he just couldn't see past the price tag relative to the size of the blade.

Back on topic, the Caspian I'd really love to see back again is the blunt tip one. That would make the perfect diving knife for me. H1 would be awesome but it's discontinued.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Scooby-Do who is somewhat of a fishing advisor has posted on the SOL thread about his opinion on the Caspian. He snaps up every one he can find. In lieu of the availability of the Caspian, some discussion of the Swick 6 is beginning to appear.

https://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk ... t-17630601
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

Commercial fishermen in Alaska buy serrated Victorinox “Vickies” for the season- inexpensive paring knives that are good for cutting netting. They just buy 3 for less than $30 a year and dispose of them or lose them. I’ve seen cheap stainless Moras used as deck knives too- sharpened annually on a grinding wheel. Cheap and disposable seems to trump quality up here.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Ontario Knife Company just showcased a blunt tip dive knife in Magnacut called the SPL, short for “Sport Leisure.” It is intended for water sports: fishing, rafting, diving, etc. Could they be Spydercos first competitor to use Magnacut in a knife intended to be used in a corrosive environment?

Either way, I still believe there is a viable market for the Caspian Salt. Maybe the Caspian Salt being brought back in Magnacut would be the ideal way to guarantee sales? There’s competition in the market now too.
-Nick :bug-red
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Pictures of the two OKC SPL fixed blades knives with 4” MagnaCut steel blade and Orange G-10.

Dive Knife - MSRP $230

Pack Knife - MSRP $170
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Connman

Post by Connman »

That is my Caspian in the SOL thread, along with the Swicks and Mules. Been a member there almost 20 years and lurking here for a while . Figures now is a good time to register.
Cheers Connman
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

nerdlock wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:34 pm
With regards to why Spyderco seems to have a small share of the diving/fishing knife market, I guess the concensus seems to point to the cost.
Is there any niche market where they have a large share?

Where I live you pretty much have to be a knife nerd or be into EDC to have any exposure to Spyderco.
If you go to a domestic retailer (physical or online) in any of the niches I consider Spyderco to excel (fishing, boating, hunting, sports, outdoors, military, police, first responders, SAR) you will be hard pressed to find any Spyderco's, or receive any useful information on steel or anything that sets one knife apart from another, to possibly justify a price difference.
These are the points of contact to put knives in the hands of regular people, it's where I used to get my stuff (for several of the niches mentioned) and the reason I lived on this rock for 35 years before I heard about Spyderco or even realized there were more than two qualities of knife steel; stainless and non-stainless.

With very few exceptions you will have to go to a dedicated knife store to find Spyderco's, and you're likely already an enthusiast at that point.

This is already getting long winded, but I'll add one more thing; back in those days (i.e. age <35) I were a much more pragmatic user and didn't "need" a dedicated knife for every use case under the sun. It was mostly one and done, so price didn't matter too much. I wanted something good, that would perform and endure. I was dependent on knowledgeable salespersons that I could trust to achieve this. A relatable anecdote is my first Fällkniven that I bought 23 years ago in a guns- and hunting store where I had worked part time. I had great trust in them, took their advice and bought what felt like a very expensive knife, from a brand I had never heard about. I couldn't have been happier with my purchase, it's still one of my most used fixed blades.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Hi guys---

I was just asked on the SOL forum if any of the Salt Spyderco's came in a boltaron sheath that fit a 2" surf belt or dive belt. I couldn't find one and was wondering if any of you know of an aftermarket clip adapter or work around solution other than paracord.
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

We need a smaller model called the Reepicheep