Men's Belts?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Men's Belts?

Post by JD Spydo »

In response to the one Brother who just posted on this section of the forum and informed us that he recently made a belt. It got me to thinking about all the ads I've heard here locally in recent times where I live. There's been a lot of talk recently about all the newer specialized, high dollar men's belts that have hit the market in the men's clothing stores and even sporting good stores in the past 2 to 3 years or so. There are two really popular brands of men's belts I've seen late night infomercials on where they make all kinds of claims about them saying that there are newer/better belts on the market now.

It does seem like there has been some significant improvement overall in men's belts in recent times and I would like to know if any of you guys have one of those newer high dollar belts? There are two brands of them that they advertise a lot that both sell for right at the $100 range. I bought a new kind of men's belt last summer that I use with cargo shorts and other summer clothes. It has a stretch factor to it which adds a degree of comfort and works well in hot, humid climates and deals with really sweaty times in the summer activities.

Also I wear belts throughout other times of the year when hunting, fishing, hiking because I'm always carrying fanny packs, belt packs and even sheaths for fixed blade knives quite a bit during hunting season. So let's talk about men's belts and which ones do well with outdoor activities as well as just dressing up for occasions. And I'm sure that there are some of you guys who do leather work that probably make you own designs that you may want to talk about. It sure is an item we take for granted and I do believe there is room for improvement in that area of men's clothing.
Mushroom

Re: Men's Belts?

Post by Mushroom »

Lots of talk about belts lately.

I’ve used an Arcade belt pretty much exclusively for over five years now. They’re comfortable, durable, and easy to use. I also like them because they don’t have any metal on them so they’re wearable through TSA.

https://arcadebelts.com/

I’ve been interested in getting a nice custom leather belt made with a high end copper belt buckle made for many years but it’s just far down the priority list. The Arcade belt has just worked too well for me to invest in a high end leather belt right now.
-Nick :bug-red
varossdg

Post by varossdg »

A belt thing is going on, I like it :cheap-sunglasses

So I had a wizz-bang belt that had a ratcheting system and held a gun and other things fine. It was by a tactically focused company. It said full grain leather, but some wears showed it to be plastic crap.

That belt purchase was after years of walmart crap belts. I have had a 5.11 belt that has served me for 10 years but it's so in your face tactical.

Now there is a resurgence in leather it seems, maybe gritty, hard wearing nostalgia has influenced.

Thursday boots makes nice leather belts. Nick's boots makes very nice made in Spokane Washington leather belts. Hanks belts are super nice USA made. Origin Maine has very nice belts and are 100% US made. To name a few. All linger around the $100 mark, and go from there. I like leather from USA tannage, all of the above use exclusively or like Thursday boots some.

I researched leather, watched some YouTube. I made what I have for a ripping hot $40, though I can not say where the buckle and Chicago screws were manufactured, though the leather is all US.

We can talk more about belts if you want... :neutral
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I pretty much use 2 types of belts:

https://www.hanksbelts.com/collections/ ... carry-belt

My wife got me the above Hank's Gunner belt as a Christmas gift. I was not happy with the web belt I had for concealed carry - too much velcro. The Hank's belt blew away all my other leather belts & I started wearing it when I needed a nicer belt even if I wasn't carrying. It is thicker than other leather belts I have owned so you need to pay attention to the belt loops on the pants you wear it with. About the only thing I dislike is how the roller rattles on the buckle

https://bisondesigns.com/products/38mm- ... eather-tip

The above Bison Designs Rec D is currently what I wear most of the time. I wear it at work, with shorts during the summer, and on hiking trips.
miohin

Post by miohin »

After many years of eh belts I've acquired two Hanks belts in the past year or so. I have the everyday belt in oak and one of their dress belts in black.They are very, very beefy and stiff at first, but seem to break in nicely.

My main goal was to buy something I wouldn't have to worry about for years to come.
Lurker
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Kore Essentials. I have several. They're made in leather or tactical nylon, just like every other belt. But the big attraction is the ratcheting system. No buckles, clasps, or other fidgety gizmos. Put the end into the buckle, pull it to your desired tightness, and you're done. The one that I wear almost every day is at least three years old, and it's still fine.
rangefinder

Post by rangefinder »

I've been wearing a Filson "bridle leather" belt almost every day for over 15 years. It's starting to show some wear, but I expect it will easily last another 15 years.

So I can definitely recommend Filson belts made 15+ years ago. But I really have no idea if the belts Filson sells today are the same quality. That's the problem with long-lasting products -- if they last long enough, the company may go through ownership/management changes and then the newer stuff isn't as good.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Used to buy belts in any department store men's section, or at a gun show. Over the years they got worse and worse, not lasting too long.

Now I use a black gun belt from https://www.thebeltman.net/collections/gunbelts

I just get the quickship versions. 1.25" black belt, black buckle. Everyday, funerals, weddings, jeans, suits, whatever.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:06 pm
Lots of talk about belts lately.

I’ve used an Arcade belt pretty much exclusively for over five years now. They’re comfortable, durable, and easy to use. I also like them because they don’t have any metal on them so they’re wearable through TSA.

https://arcadebelts.com/

I’ve been interested in getting a nice custom leather belt made with a high end copper belt buckle made for many years but it’s just far down the priority list. The Arcade belt has just worked too well for me to invest in a high end leather belt right now.
Wear a good leather and metal belt at work, (RM.Williams) but have been working at the airport instead of the seaports more lately.
Just ordered Two of the above belts. :winking-tongue As sick of taking my belt off to go airside a few times a day. Can’t say I have bought a belt for 10+ years and wear a belt everyday at work.

Thanks.

On RM Williams belts. Couldn’t get a better leather belt or pair of boots in Australia. Pay the earth but last forever.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
varossdg

Post by varossdg »

RustyIron wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:04 am
Kore Essentials. I have several. They're made in leather or tactical nylon, just like every other belt. But the big attraction is the ratcheting system. No buckles, clasps, or other fidgety gizmos. Put the end into the buckle, pull it to your desired tightness, and you're done. The one that I wear almost every day is at least three years old, and it's still fine.
That's the brand, Kore essentials. Genius designs super easy and wonderfully adjustable, but the overseas company who printed "genuine top grain leather" on their belt thought it would be funny to do so on plastic. Now their nylon belts seem to be working out very well for others who bought them.

It seems like a cool company, so now that I have my new one I am going to contact them about it.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

rangefinder wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:23 am
I've been wearing a Filson "bridle leather" belt almost every day for over 15 years. It's starting to show some wear, but I expect it will easily last another 15 years.

So I can definitely recommend Filson belts made 15+ years ago. But I really have no idea if the belts Filson sells today are the same quality. That's the problem with long-lasting products -- if they last long enough, the company may go through ownership/management changes and then the newer stuff isn't as good.
Very interesting you mention the Filson company. I've got 4 clothing items of theirs that I've had for a very long time. Mainly deer hunting gear and one other outdoor item. I am 1000% pleased with all the Filson clothing items I've bought. As far as I can tell all of their items are really high quality. At this very time I'm trying to save enough nickels to get a pair of their Merino Wool long underwear and I got a feeling that they will be worth the $130+ that they are asking for them.

The Filson company has had my utmost respect for almost 20 years now. I will for sure take a hard look at the belts they have. And I highly encourage everyone who is into hunting and outdoor stuff to take a look at Filson's great merchandise.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

RustyIron wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:04 am
That's one big selling point I've been hearing about some of these newer men's belts is that they don't have the traditional holes that you put a spike through to hold securely. The ratcheting system you speak of is what I've heard about on at least 3 ads I've heard for these newer men's belts. It seems to be a new concept on some of these newer belts and I do want to check it out.

I'm kind of a weird guy in one sense as to preferences of materials. I know most of you here tend to like leather a lot. I tend to like Cordura, Nylon and other synthetic materials better for various functional reasons. I like the fact that synthetic materials tend to deal with wet and sweaty conditions better. And here in Missouri in the Summer time I find myself drenched with sweat quite a bit in the summer months when I'm in the timber and on fishing trips. Sweat and leather do not go good together unfortunately.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:10 am
I know most of you here tend to like leather a lot. I tend to like Cordura, Nylon and other synthetic materials better for various functional reasons.
When I worked, I wore leather belts to look professional. I'd like to buy a synthetic Kore now that I dress casually every day, but my existing Kore's just won't wear out. I'm a cheapskate who doesn't like to replace things that are still functional. Regardless of what you get, try a ratcheting belt. You won't go back.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Once you go ratcheting, it is hard to do anything else. Moves with you through the day as your body changes with meals. :winking-tongue I have been testing Mission Belt for awhile now. So far so good.

https://missionbelt.com/collections/ful ... ather-belt
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
rgc

Post by rgc »

Best belt I ever owned was made by Rafter S Gun Leather. Unfortunately they are no longer in business. I live in Florida and after 15 or so years of constant wear and sweat it finally gave up the ghost. I now have a 1.5" leather belt by El Paso Saddlery and a 1.5" nylon Ciguera Emissary belt. I really like the Ciguera belt. That said I really wish the Ciguera belt was 1.25. I might have to look at the above mentioned Beltman in 1.25.
RLR

Post by RLR »

If you want old school leather and a great company can’t beat these:

https://www.popovleather.com/collections/leather-belts
James Y

Post by James Y »

I've had the same inexpensive leather belt I got at Target probably 15 or more years ago. My weight hasn't increased significantly, and it's still in good condition.

I've seen a commercial recently about a men's belt that secures with a magnet. I don't remember the name of the company or its site. I don't know whether it's a quality product or not. But I don't like the idea of a magnet securing it. Since magnets can screw up electronic devices and such. And who knows how long a magnet can retain its full magnetism, or lose it for whatever reason.

Jim
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I can also highly recommend Kore ratcheting belts. It’s always the right size.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

One Ounce Shot of Bourbon =‘s a Belt.🥳
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The Ranger Belts I have are just exceptional imo
I've posted about them before. The man that made them for me is in his 80's & has been doing leather work for 60+ years. He's located in Florida. & he does regular belts as well. Although nothing wrong with a nice Ranger Belt either. But, it's my gun belt.
Here's some pics. & believe it or not, these were under $100 this Ranger Belt is both English Bridle Leather from Sedgwick& Co. out of Walsall, England & Latigo Leather - it also has some nice Chicago style screws & very nice stainless steel roller buckle- I'll try to find that thread.
Last edited by MacLaren on Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.