Thoughts on Hogue Deka?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Josh Crutchley

Thoughts on Hogue Deka?

Post by Josh Crutchley »

I've been looking at different knives available in MagnaCut and it seems the Deka is the cheapest. The reviews on the steel seem mixed with some liking it and others saying the HT wasnt optimal. Is there anyone with a MC MT and a MC Deka that could comment on your experiences? I know the Native 5 and UKPK are eventually coming out in MC so no need to remind me.
Manixguy@1994

Re: Thoughts on Hogue Deka?

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Josh can’t speak for 2nd generation models, Exclusive from KC in CPM20V was not one of my best experiences. PM if want more info . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:12 pm
Josh can’t speak for 2nd generation models, Exclusive from KC in CPM20V was not one of my best experiences. PM if want more info . Dan
Thanks
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Thin slicey blade but flimsy slippery unergonomic polymer handles. Hogue makes excellent G10 grips, so maybe the G10 handles are better?

FWIW, I bought a second CF Elite Bugout as a backup and believe the design to be vastly superior to the Deka.
- Richard
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Mine is smaller than expected and the scales are, um, adequate. It’s a good knife that could stand some revisions. Due to the “meh” nature of the scales, I have not used it enough to get a feel for the steel. I need to track down the replacement scales I ran across online.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Ricey_9

Post by Ricey_9 »

I have one in mc. It’s light and fun to flip. I think they could do better with heat treat it’s Rockwell lower than it should be. I was thinking about getting some original goat scales. Neeves has a 15% off code. That’s would stiffen it up. It doesn’t bug me but I can’t leave them alone.
:bug-red-white
para3 lw spy27
Para 2 dlt cruwear
Para 3 maxamet
Manix 2 rec cts204p
Shaman knife joker cruwear
Lil native knife joy s45vn
Pm2 15v
Native 5 lw Magnacut
Knife joy Manix 2 20cv
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Interesting responses. I have 3 of them in MagnaCut. I'll start with my advice first, unless you like the lock type and fidget factor, I'd wait for the Spyderco version. I do think the heat treat is soft. Now onto other factors, the FRN scales aren't good but I don't think it has as much flex as my Bugout. I do think the omega spring on the Hogue looked beefier (they worked with Wolf springs to improve them) when I took it apart. I impulsively bought another one this holiday season when it came out in some "exclusive" scales. Much stiffer feeling knife and really changes the feel. But honestly not worth the extra money. Oh and the cerakote coating on the blade is just ok. Saw wear on the coating pretty early. The one thing I really do appreciate in the Deka and the Bugout is the thin blade stock.
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Post by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives »

I like Hogue as well
Last edited by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives on Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I have one in g-mascus that I'm quite fond of. It's possible that the g-10 on mine makes a big difference relative to the less expensive handle materials? Either way, I'm quite happy with mine.
Ricey_9

Post by Ricey_9 »

Bemo wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:10 am
Interesting responses. I have 3 of them in MagnaCut. I'll start with my advice first, unless you like the lock type and fidget factor, I'd wait for the Spyderco version. I do think the heat treat is soft. Now onto other factors, the FRN scales aren't good but I don't think it has as much flex as my Bugout. I do think the omega spring on the Hogue looked beefier (they worked with Wolf springs to improve them) when I took it apart. I impulsively bought another one this holiday season when it came out in some "exclusive" scales. Much stiffer feeling knife and really changes the feel. But honestly not worth the extra money. Oh and the cerakote coating on the blade is just ok. Saw wear on the coating pretty early. The one thing I really do appreciate in the Deka and the Bugout is the thin blade stock.
I cut open a bunch of bags of Lyme stone and fertilizer and noticed the coating it didn’t hold up to hot.
:bug-red-white
para3 lw spy27
Para 2 dlt cruwear
Para 3 maxamet
Manix 2 rec cts204p
Shaman knife joker cruwear
Lil native knife joy s45vn
Pm2 15v
Native 5 lw Magnacut
Knife joy Manix 2 20cv
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Let me correct something (not super important) but I have 3 Deka's, but only 2 in MagnaCut, the other is 20CV. The stock G10 on the 20CV makes it feel sooo much better. Honestly I'd compare it more to the Osborne 940. To Tom's point though, it's still a good knife, and when I want a slimmer pocket profile I definitely don't have an issue grabbing it.
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

IMO neither the FRN or gmascus deka scales provide enough grip. But the deka trainer has different peel ply g10 scales that are very good.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Folks pitch the Deka as the “better Bugout,” and I would definitely love a Magnacut Bugout, but the Deka just looks a bit too tacticool to me - looks like hotspots all over.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

kennethsime wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:28 pm
Folks pitch the Deka as the “better Bugout,” and I would definitely love a Magnacut Bugout, but the Deka just looks a bit too tacticool to me - looks like hotspots all over.
I own both Bugout and Deka and I definitely prefer the Deka. I haven't noticed any hot spots. Then again, if I'm doing something that requires that much use of the knife, I'm generally using a fixed blade anyway.

Honestly, the real winners for me from both companies are their Ritter collaborations.
TTFulltimer

Post by TTFulltimer »

Mine is out for some serious testing by my son. So far he likes the blade shape and the sharpness. It is holding up very well. AFAIK the heat treat is 61 hrc. And his very first impression like all of us is that handle. Luckily if you don't mind spending another $60 no frills, up to more dollars with options. You can get the GOAT aluminum scales, they have basically four versions. Regular aluminum, extended length aluminum, and SKNY for skinny aluminum. All the versions have options which can include any paint color in the cerakote line. And then there are the GOAT titaniums starting at $125
Just a crotchety old curmudgeon who has seen a thing or two
staunen2

Post by staunen2 »

Happy New Year, folks. Resuscitating an older conversation, but hoping there might be opinions on newer Hogue Deka Magnacut heat treatment. Wondering if the great reviews (excepting the scales) and really good holiday pricing is worth the risk of a soft blade. Or should I just wait for the Para 3 Salt?

Thanks
TTFulltimer

Post by TTFulltimer »

My son beat on that Deka for four months. It was still sharp when he gave it back to me. I got some GOAT scales in extended version with no clip holes as I only use a lanyard. I will probably order a Native Salt as that is my preferred Spyderco, and then refit the blade into a properly scaled Native and or linered Native. My son is now using my BBB Manix which is perfect for him. Unfortunately both the Deka and the Manix have a little forward placed slider lock. I will only use a back lock. All the rest pose too much risk of closure while in use. I sort of use my knives as multitools.
Just a crotchety old curmudgeon who has seen a thing or two
staunen2

Post by staunen2 »

Sounds like they improved the heat treatment from early production. Still may wait for the Para 3 Salt …

Thanks
Wallach

Post by Wallach »

staunen2 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:41 am
Happy New Year, folks. Resuscitating an older conversation, but hoping there might be opinions on newer Hogue Deka Magnacut heat treatment. Wondering if the great reviews (excepting the scales) and really good holiday pricing is worth the risk of a soft blade. Or should I just wait for the Para 3 Salt?

Thanks
I have two of the Dekas in their cryo-treated MagnaCut - one of the OD Green / FDE Cerakote DLT exclusives, and one I just got in the mail today with a stonewash finish and NRA Blue OG aluminum scales.

I've been using the DLT one for a while, and I honestly think it is one of the best production folders out there right now, if not the best. I think they have the best action on washers I've ever seen, and it has a really ideal ratio of handle to blade to weight.

You don't want those cheap default scales on the base model for sure, and I am not a big fan of their current clips (those I swap to Lynch clips immediately), but the knife is a real joy to carry and use in my opinion.
Cgw1984

Post by Cgw1984 »

Early magnacut from them was suboptimal heat treat. They have since fixed this. The scales suck, but its a better knife than the awful bugout which costs far more (deka runs about 90 bucks new usually). I do have a few custom bugouts with magnacut blades, which is the way id go again. (I have deka magnacut, factory bugout and the custom bugout)