I may Have Gotten Scammed….

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Foehammer

I may Have Gotten Scammed….

Post by Foehammer »

Tracked down a used Rex45 Manix2 on the secondary market, private seller. Price was reasonable and the seller seemed legit. Paid in advance and was told it would be shipped shortly after. That was last afternoon. No response from the guy, no tracking code, nothing. I’ll probably have to contact my financial institution and see if I can get my money back. Tried to give the seller the benefit of the doubt, but at this point it seems I got ripped off.

Just a reminder that not everyone is honest and there do exist people willing to take advantage of trust and honesty. Even people in the Spyderco community. 😞
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
TkoK83Spy

Re: I may Have Gotten Scammed….

Post by TkoK83Spy »

They could work 3rd shift, family emergency, have kids, etc. Don't lose hope after 1 day.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

Well I do some selling on E-Bay, I find as a seller the BEST THING I CAN DO IS COMMUNICATE, with buyer.

Acknowledge sale, send PM day I am shipping, and last send Pm I have shipped, and provide tracking number.

Most buyers seldom say package arrived, but them most buyer do not give feedback.
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:38 pm
They could work 3rd shift, family emergency, have kids, etc. Don't lose hope after 1 day.
That’s quite true. Just a little nerve-wracking right now lol. The thing that gets me is the sudden lack of contact; but there could a lot of real-life reasons that happened. I’ll wait for now.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

Good communication prevent problems.

Bad communication is a RED FLAG.🚩
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

TkoK83Spy wrote:

Agree with Tko. I would start worrying after maybe 3 days of no contact or tracking, but you can always plan ahead for the worst case scenario and contact your bank now, to see what options you have. Assume you paid Zelle or something? I've noticed on BF that the majority of sellers want Zelle or PP Friend & Family, which gives you no recourse (that I know of)...that's too risky for me.

Tracking codes from USPS can sometimes be laughably late, arriving before they appear in the system. They seem to be getting better with time however.
Last edited by Bolster on Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:59 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:

Agree with Tko. I would start worrying after maybe 3 days of no contact, but you can always plan ahead for the worst case scenario and contact your bank now, to see what options you have. Assume you paid Zelle or something? I've noticed on BF that the majority of sellers want Zelle or PP Friend & Family, which gives you no recourse (that I know of)...that's too dangerous for me.
It was Interac e-transfer. Seller seemed legit and we had a nice conversation about Spyderco knives and other things, seems to be a very nice person, I hope it all works out. Talking to the bank to see options is a good idea, thanks.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
Laphroaig9

Post by Laphroaig9 »

I had a guys daugher end up in the emergency room.

Heard nothing for a week after my $ cleared, but kept my cool.

Then he contacted me, and was very apologetic.

Give it some time. **** happens in people's lives!
sidpost

Post by sidpost »

Hard to know what happened with no communication so soon after the money was sent. Could be a scam or, just a family issue. I know I have had a couple of times when something unexpected came up.

Can't help you much in Canada but, I know PayPal is pretty worthless with transactions like this. If the transaction isn't super solid, I generally use a USPS Money Order which may or may not yield good results.

Electronic payments might be convenient but, they lack basic security in most cases with transactions like this.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Don't panic after a day. Some people don't even have a post office nearby. He may work over night, or might work a 24 or 48 hour shift, like a firefighter. Worry in a few days, not now.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ranger000

Post by Ranger000 »

---Tracked down a used Rex45 Manix2 on the secondary market, private seller.---

Caveat Emptor.

More cons and rip offs than legitimate sellers on the secondary market.

That is why you stick to the primary markets, it's safer.
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

This reiterates my point that many people in today's society have the patience of a spoiled 8 year old.
The Deals thread, some people got all over Dack Outdoors for their slow drop shipping, missing the point of the black Friday like pricing on the Sharpmaker and diamond rods. No patience for getting a deal.
Some have become so used to Prime/Spotify/Zelle immediate service demanding instant gratification.
When I purchased my first and still current turntable in 1978, I mailed a check to New York City (Stereo Corporation of America) and waited over 2 weeks for my Thorens TD 160 to arrive.
Chill and have a glass of wine, watch the snow fall, pet your animal and love your family. Don't be annoyed that your music collection may require handling, cleaning and maintenance instead of some lousy, compressed streaming version (which you don't own).
Wanting an unneeded collectible knife in your possession immediately is so tertiary in the scheme of life.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

This is what PayPal is for.
sidpost

Post by sidpost »

Not sure what happened to my previous post in this thread.

E-payments are convenient but, PayPal and others haven't really done much for me with disputes in the past. Basically, it seems like they mainly work to keep their commission and don't do much to settle disputes if both parties don't come to an agreement.

With private transactions, I normally use USPS Money Orders for this reason.

If the person in question seems honest and upstanding, I would generally not worry for a few days. Things in life happen beyond normal expectations that can throw a wrench in things. I live in a rural area and have lost my Internet and Cell service unexpectedly (a cell tower going down and a tractor cutting the phone lines for internet access). I have also unexpectedly had medical issues that took me out of action for a week or so. Add that I live in a rural area and can't get US Mail at my house due to mail theft, which means a USPS trip may be a few days out as well.

Best Wishes for a good resolution to this transaction!
sidpost

Post by sidpost »

zhyla wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:51 pm
This is what PayPal is for.
PayPal for me has been a mixed experience in the past. Also worth noting, the OP is in Canada and used a Canadian payment service.

Normally, if someone has a good 'history' on the forum in question and any previous trading actions, you have a good indication of the 'trustworthiness' of the seller. That doesn't mean a scammer hasn't hijacked their account but, you can usually tell if that happens by the 'tone' of their most recent posts and the value vs. sales price of the item in question.

Of course, nothing is totally foolproof in today's e-commerce.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Don't panic after a day.
I can't agree more. Don't stop payment or put in a claim yet. If you contact the guy and he doesn't answer in a reasonable time then do what is needed.

Most people are pretty honest in this world. The chance you ran into a scammer is lower than you might think. Let it work out for a few days.

Have faith in people. Sometimes it doesn't pay off but most of the time it does.

Joe
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

That's why I ask for Paypal G&S when I can. I've mostly dealed with official dealers but bought quite a number of used knives over the past two years. Sometimes it's someone that knows I'm in love with the Native 5, or seeking desesperatly a specific model. I was lucky, everytime it was just the kindest person ever trying to help a fellow Spyderco addict ! It did not stop me from trying to secure the purchase at a minimum though, we can never know.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

Ah the world of patience. Nowadays people expect everything to happen immediately. I’d wait a few days but on the other side. Communication lapse is always scary. I’d try getting a response before freaking out.
MRj “Weak things break!”
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Just relax for a second. It's only been a day. Had someone freak out on me because I mailed the item using an automated postal center kiosk (I'm not waiting half an hr in line at the post office when the kiosk is right there) and the post office didn't scan it in that evening - one day later, it was at the distribution center...
Vladimir1970

Post by Vladimir1970 »

GarageBoy wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:58 pm
Just relax for a second. It's only been a day.
As I understand it has already been 3 days, since the topic started on 01/13/2023 !?