Availability of Magnacut knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sidpost

Availability of Magnacut knives?

Post by sidpost »

I have been looking for a Magnacut knife and see lots of postings for the Salt and talk of the Paramilitary but, nothing is in stock. The Syperco Mule seems to be a very limited run for collectors so, it doesn't seem to be available either.

What does production of Magnacut Spyderco knives look like these days? Is it just a temporary shortage due to supply chain issues or were these all limited runs that are sold out?

TIA,
Sid
Michael Janich

Re: Availability of Magnacut knives?

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear sidpost:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

I'd love to get an update on this one as well. Specifically on the ukpk in Magnacut that was shown in the product overview.
If one of those ever pops up at a European retailer, I want one!
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

sidpost

Post by sidpost »

Freediver wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:46 am
In stock:

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... -reg-/1162
Thanks! Are these available in a plain edge too or, just the serrated edge? I typically sharpen at a coarser finish for knives than this for a 'toothy' bite so I keep the plain edge cutting potential on things that aren't slick like poly rope and similar things were a serrated edge really shines. I also tend to use my knife to cut block cheese and fruit at a roadside stop so, a plain edge works better for those uses as well.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

sidpost wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:04 am
I have been looking for a Magnacut knife and see lots of postings for the Salt and talk of the Paramilitary but, nothing is in stock. The Syperco Mule seems to be a very limited run for collectors so, it doesn't seem to be available either.

What does production of Magnacut Spyderco knives look like these days? Is it just a temporary shortage due to supply chain issues or were these all limited runs that are sold out?

TIA,
Sid
Because of MagnaCut's very high corrosion resistance, Spyderco decided to use it as a blade steel in their Salt line of knives, starting with the Salt variant of the Native 5. Salts are not merely corrosion resistant, but darn near corrosion proof. The delay, according to a recent post by Sal, was in finding other materials (presumably lock bar steel and pivot / handle screws) that wouldn't have a galvanic reaction with MagnaCut. Apparently that's recently been solved the Native 5 Salt is now in production. It looks SE was first, so I'd expect PE to be coming soon. Spyderco also added MagnaCut PE and SE blade versions of the non-locking UK Pen Knife to the 2023 product catalog. I'm sure those will be out this year once they catch up on demand for the MagnaCut Native 5 Salt that was announced over a year ago in Dec. 2021.

Considering how close of a relationship Spyderco has with MagnaCut's developer, Dr. Larrin Thomas, I'd be shocked if we don't see more Spyderco models getting MagnaCut blades as a regular catalog item, Sprint Run, or distributor / dealer exclusive. I'm sure this will also depend on user feedback on the MagnaCut N5 and UKPK Salts as well.
sidpost

Post by sidpost »

ugaarguy wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:20 am
Apparently that's recently been solved the Native 5 Salt is now in production. It looks SE was first, so I'd expect PE to be coming soon. Spyderco also added MagnaCut PE and SE blade versions of the non-locking UK Pen Knife to the 2023 product catalog. I'm sure those will be out this year once they catch up on demand for the MagnaCut Native 5 Salt that was announced over a year ago in Dec. 2021.

Considering how close of a relationship Spyderco has with MagnaCut's developer, Dr. Larrin Thomas, I'd be shocked if we don't see more Spyderco models getting MagnaCut blades as a regular catalog item, Sprint Run, or distributor / dealer exclusive. I'm sure this will also depend on user feedback on the MagnaCut N5 and UKPK Salts as well.
Thanks! Super helpful.
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

sidpost wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:48 am
Freediver wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:46 am
In stock:

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... -reg-/1162
Thanks! Are these available in a plain edge too or, just the serrated edge? I typically sharpen at a coarser finish for knives than this for a 'toothy' bite so I keep the plain edge cutting potential on things that aren't slick like poly rope and similar things were a serrated edge really shines. I also tend to use my knife to cut block cheese and fruit at a roadside stop so, a plain edge works better for those uses as well.
They will be available in plain edge as well. They haven’t been released yet but it should be soon since the serrated edge just became available a few days ago.