Hello again and Shoutout to the Stretch XL SE

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Enactive

Re: Hello again and Shoutout to the Stretch XL SE

Post by Enactive »

Welcome back, Gernot!

Hope you're having a great ski season!
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

It is good to see your post my friend. I missed you while you were away.

u.w.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Where on earth have you been ?! That aside, the serrations are not “very shallow” as you say. They are more pointy than those on the Endela and the scallops are deep enough. They are not agressive either, just moderate. When it comes to VG10 in spyderedge, I must give you that( and it breaks my heart :winking-tongue ) … VG10 performs very well. That being said I love the Stretch XL in spyderedge a lot. I own two now and looking forward to a green salt one.

P.S “Very shallow” hmmm… maybe you need to check your eyes ?! 😜😄 (I am just teasing you, I missed you bro … I expect no less than a half of page in reply ! 😉 )
Last edited by elena86 on Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Welcome back! Stretch XL is indeed one of the best designs in the entire lineup. I seem to recall someone sounding the alert on that a couple of years ago. :cheap-sunglasses
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

Welcome back! I was worried when you didn’t post for a while.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:22 am
(It´s been almost five month since I was on this forum the last time, but I really start to miss sharing the passion for Spydercos products, the nerdy-in-depth discussions ;), the respectful and constructive atmosphere of this place and how Sal, Kristie and Mike create and keep an eye on just that.
And I start to miss all of you folks too. :smirk

Last but not least I want to thank all the people who sent me pms or mails asking where I´ve been and how I am doing - really appreciate that and will reply to each of you individually of course!)

Welcome back, it is good to hear from you again!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

Welcome back! I have definitely missed your very insightful posts, and well thought out RESPONSES. And fantastic mountian pictures!

And couldn't agree more on the FRN Stretch 2 XL!
MNOSD member 0030
z1r

Post by z1r »

Welcome back. Though I'm not as avid a SE fan as you, I can see how this would be a superb platform for SE. That said, just got word that my 3rd PE XL is on the way. Will be a great pack knife.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Hey Wartstein! Welcome back!

I'm definitely with you on the Stretch 2 XL. I bought the PE first, and eventually gifted it to my stepson. I then bought the SE to replace it, but I admit it hasn't seen much use. In December I acquired the CruWear G-10 model. What a gem! Now I can hardly wait for the Salt, which is bound to come eventually.

This thread is making me dig out the SE, to give it more of a chance. I seldom use an SE when I also have the PE version of the same knife, except for yard work.
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

I have the same SE model and it’s my favorite backpacking knife. I prefer brighter handles (orange!) but VG-10 is great low fuss steel that plays nice with serrations. Looking forward to more pictures!
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

Welcome back Gernot, great to see you again around here!
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Also, I wanted to tell you this in person, but it is more important to me that you hear it from me first and not some random member. I first want to say, I still like FRN. Especially, Seki FRN. However, G10, Micarta, and even Titanium has appeared more frequently in What is in Your Pocket? thread by :preying me. I want you to know, this is for science. I have not discarded all my FRN scales. I am currently "testing" a Shaman around 5oz. and a CRK also around 5oz. Also, a GB2 and a Military at the ridiculous weight of 4.5oz. Between you and I, most days I walk around trying to just keep my pants from falling off. I had to invest in stronger belts and may even need to get suspenders. Anyways, glad you are back my friend and good mountaineering to you.
Last edited by JSumm on Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

We're glad you're back! I hope your time away has been good.
I do want a Stretch 2 XL LW SE. Thanks for the reminder.
R100

Post by R100 »

Hello Gernot, welcome back from Australia! (That's the one with kangaroos). I have missed you and was afraid you had met with some nasty accident in the mountains.

I have the PE Stretch XL and think it is one of the great Spyderco designs. I am tempted by the SE and am wondering if you felt the need to reprofile yours or do you just sharpen it with the 40° slots in the Sharpmaker?

Dan
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

a) I’m glad the knife I sent has become a favourite of yours. Since we last spoke, I picked up the exact same variant and have been carrying it daily. It really is THAT good.

b) Even more so, I’m ecstatic that you’re back on the forums! Honestly Gernot, this place isn’t the same without you. I sent an email but over time I figured you needed to be left alone for a while.

c) I have a yellow H1 serrated Atlantic Salt in my mailbox. Not really relevant here but I’m stoked!
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

It is relevant, because Salt, and maybe someday we can connect the dots. 🤞
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

:crossed-fingers
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I think the Stretch XL might benefit from a CE more than a lot of other designs. For those of you with one, what do you think? I'm not a big fan generally of CE's but the length of this blade makes me wonder if it would be useful.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I want to go full SE. Since getting my Delica Wharncliffe, I've found out I really like VG-10 with shallow serrations.

By the way, Gernot, if you don't mind sharing, what have you been up to? Has it been an adventure, or just a break?
brancron

Post by brancron »

I absolutely love the Stretch 2 XL LW. If (heaven forbid) all my knives disappeared overnight, this would be the first one I’d replace.

I just hope it’s popular enough that Spyderco decides to do it in various steels and handle colors sometime down the road.