Native 5 salt is Magnacut?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
salimoneus

Re: Native 5 salt is Magnacut?

Post by salimoneus »

Gtscotty wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:32 pm
jwbnyc wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:26 am
They got me with the Black Friday price. 🙄
Yeah I wound up up cancelling my year old pre-order for the N5 MC salt and re-ordering at the BF price. Figured with how much time I've spent in line, might as well get it at the better price should it ever come in stock.... I also ordered a Waterway at the BF price while I was at it, so I guess Knife Center successfully pivoted one pre-order into two.

And certainly nobody could ever blame you, for cancelling a higher priced pre-order for another cheaper priced pre-order, especially one that has been on the books as long as this one has. And if anyone has a problem with it, thankfully the credit card companies will have your back. I've never had an issue cancelling a per-order, regardless of the "estimated fulfillment date", which are many times complete and total bullshit.

If you have not received or had a product shipped in the agreed upon timeframe, you are 100% entitled to the right to cancel your order. And don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well that was not nice at all.

I noticed a KnifeCenter email in my Promotions folders, with this very specific line in the preview..
Screenshot_20221230_063905_Gmail.jpg
But then I open it and it's just a message about updating privacy policy and doesn't mention my order or anything else but privacy updates.
Screenshot_20221230_064043_Gmail.jpg
I feel bamboozled.

I logged in to my account and it still says out of stock.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I checked KC new arrivals and it’s a no show in that section . It does show Lil Native , PM2 and Swaybacks . . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

sal wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:37 pm
I should probably add some info to the thread:

We worked with Larrin and Shawn to optimize the heat treat on MagnaCut. We nailed that down some time ago. The delay with the Native MagnaCut model was in tank testing materials that could work with MagnaCut as a salt (no galvanic reaction to materials) We did quite a bit of tank testing and we finally have that nailed down as well. Gail is testing a MagnaCut Native now, and they should be shipping soon.

We worked with Shawn to optimize the heat treat for 15V. He said there was a significant difference in the performance of 15V with his HT as opposed to "regular" HT. We did extensive testing on Shawn's version and CATRA tests proved out his statement. That's why we made the knife with his HT which is still proving to be exceptional.

CTS-BD1N was a different project.

Talkin' Story:

We worked with Carpenter for several years to help the develop their blade steels. Testing CATRA and corrosion and going back and forth with suggestions and more testing. When we finally had all of their blade steels down, Their head Metallurgist came to me and asked what they could do for us to thank us for our helping them.

I asked them to make a steel that we were importing from Japan called Gingami 1. There was no American equivalent. 440B is similar, but the perfornance of Gingami 1 was far superior to 440B. I asked them to reproduce the chemistry and then "tweak" it for greater performance. After much testing, CTS-BD1 was the new steel, and performance was even better than I had expected.

I had hoped to "own" the alloy, but that was not to be. The steel was too good to just limit to Spyderco. In conference with Carpenter, I had mentioned our using "G2" as the steel marked on blades in earlier models, as we couldn't use Gingami 1 at the time. I told them that G2 stood for "Good **** Also". We later converted the G2 to GIN 1 when we were larger and had more clout.

Carpenter showed their good humor when they came up with "CTS" which stood for "Carpenter Good ****", bit if pressed, they say it stands for Carpenter Tool Steels.

CTS-BD1 is proving to be an exceptional alloy punching far above it's weight and shouldn't be written off as 440B.

Hope that helps.

sal
:party-face
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:21 am
sal wrote:

We worked with Larrin and Shawn to optimize the heat treat on MagnaCut. We nailed that down some time ago. The delay with the Native MagnaCut model was in tank testing materials that could work with MagnaCut as a salt (no galvanic reaction to materials) We did quite a bit of tank testing and we finally have that nailed down as well. Gail is testing a MagnaCut Native now, and they should be shipping soon.

We worked with Shawn to optimize the heat treat for 15V. He said there was a significant difference in the performance of 15V with his HT as opposed to "regular" HT. We did extensive testing on Shawn's version and CATRA tests proved out his statement. That's why we made the knife with his HT which is still proving to be exceptional.

CTS-BD1N was a different project.

Talkin' Story:

We worked with Carpenter for several years to help the develop their blade steels. Testing CATRA and corrosion and going back and forth with suggestions and more testing. When we finally had all of their blade steels down, Their head Metallurgist came to me and asked what they could do for us to thank us for our helping them.

I asked them to make a steel that we were importing from Japan called Gingami 1. There was no American equivalent. 440B is similar, but the perfornance of Gingami 1 was far superior to 440B. I asked them to reproduce the chemistry and then "tweak" it for greater performance. After much testing, CTS-BD1 was the new steel, and performance was even better than I had expected.

I had hoped to "own" the alloy, but that was not to be. The steel was too good to just limit to Spyderco. In conference with Carpenter, I had mentioned our using "G2" as the steel marked on blades in earlier models, as we couldn't use Gingami 1 at the time. I told them that G2 stood for "Good **** Also". We later converted the G2 to GIN 1 when we were larger and had more clout.

Carpenter showed their good humor when they came up with "CTS" which stood for "Carpenter Good ****", bit if pressed, they say it stands for Carpenter Tool Steels.

CTS-BD1 is proving to be an exceptional alloy punching far above it's weight and shouldn't be written off as 440B.

Hope that helps.

sal
This.

I'll still be as patient as possible.
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

That's good to hear, also kind of piques my interest a bit more in the 15v, maybe they'll bring it out in another knife, never really cared for the Manix.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

This looks like great news from Sal about the Native and hopefully the Manix will follow . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Street price on Native5 Salt (MagnaCut & LC200N) is now $151.20 (was $143.15). Some dealers haven’t updated their database for new pricing.

Street price on UK PenKnife Salt (MagnaCut & LC200N) is now $105.00 (was $98.00). Some dealers haven’t updated their database for new pricing.

Last edited by RamZar on Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I checked the new price database. I wonder if the Knives&Tools new Spyderco prices are accurate or very inflated. Doesn't seem like a big jump.
And I checked, carrying them might have taken some inflation too but Import didn't change.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Think I'm gonna get that MagnaCut PK too. Gonna do my very small part in driving sales of anything that comes in SE MagnaCut.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
z1r

Post by z1r »

Saw a SE N5 Salt today (Magnacut) at the SFO. Sadly, they did not have a PE or I would have picked one up.
AverageKCGuy

Post by AverageKCGuy »

z1r wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:47 pm
Saw a SE N5 Salt today (Magnacut) at the SFO. Sadly, they did not have a PE or I would have picked one up.

Ok, I'm going to need confirmation by another person here. If it's for sale at the SFO that would mean it's in production right?

I've been waiting since August, and I know others have been waiting longer than that. It would be nice to hear by people that have gone to SFO that it is indeed being produced and sold.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Hmm, ok. Can't recall if the guy said they put it out on display yesterday or this morning. Didn't much care since it wasn't a PE.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I think it's close. Sal saying Gail is testing, new product guide listing it, a sighting at SFO.... In other news, and at risk of talking about a different knife in this thread, I did not know the UKPK Salt would come out in MagnaCut, that's exciting.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The Magnacut Native 5 Salt was in stock and sold out on Spydercos website already. It should be shipping to dealers very soon if they haven’t started already.
-Nick :bug-red
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Bemo wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:30 pm
I think it's close. Sal saying Gail is testing, new product guide listing it, a sighting at SFO.... In other news, and at risk of talking about a different knife in this thread, I did not know the UKPK Salt would come out in MagnaCut, that's exciting.
I did not know about the UKPK in MagnaCut either. That is exciting. Leaf or drop point? Thought long & hard about the Native 5 MagnaCut, but it's nice to have options in blade thickness.
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:34 pm
The Magnacut Native 5 Salt was in stock and sold out on Spydercos website already. It should be shipping to dealers very soon if they haven’t started already.

I would advise that people wait until this knife gets to retailers. As we know, Spyderco lists these knifes at a much higher price point than the retailers, for non-compete reasons.

This is going to be a full time regular production knife as I understand, so absolutely no reason to rush out and pay a premium for one in the very early days, unless you have money to burn and no patience whatsoever. It's already been over a year, what's a few more weeks. Just my three cents.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:21 am
sal wrote:

sal
It's been a long wait. I bought a CF/S90V Native 5 last summer and haven't bought anything else since. Heck, I've hardly carried anything else since receiving that knife. I pre-ordered the MagnaCut N5 Salt over a year ago. Can't wait to get a charge notification from my CC and get a ship notification from Knife Center. Now I just need to order a deep carry clip and decide what color to Rit dye the scales on the MC Salt.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

•• Beau
z1r

Post by z1r »

Thank you. Guess that supports my claim. :winking-tongue