Spyderco Catalog website suggestion/request?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Spyderco Catalog website suggestion/request?

Post by Evil D »

I really like the way the Reveal displays knives, especially when they're shown side by side with other models to scale so it's easy to compare size (at least I think I read that they're shown close to scale).

I would really like it if the Catalog page was shown the same way the Reveal is, particularly the part where models could be at a set scale and shown side by side. Some websites (tech websites for example) give you a "compare products" option where you can select several items and show all their specs in charts side by side, and I think that would be amazing and unique in the knife world.

I know redesigning a website isn't exactly simple but if/when the time comes that the site gets a facelift I would love to see options like this.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mushroom

Re: Spyderco Catalog website suggestion/request?

Post by Mushroom »

The print version of the catalog shows nearly all of the products at full scale. Even the Warrior Hawk and Hatchethawk include a full scale photo of the heads minus the handle.

I don’t quite understand what you mean about the website though? For me, the reveal page is displayed the same way as all of their other products.
-Nick :bug-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:39 pm
The print version of the catalog shows nearly all of the products at full scale. Even the Warrior Hawk and Hatchethawk include a full scale photo of the heads minus the handle.

I don’t quite understand what you mean about the website though? For me, the reveal page is displayed the same way as all of their other products.

Just mean make the whole catalog look like the reveal.
~David
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

That’s what I don’t quite understand because as far as I can see, the catalog looks exactly like the reveal.

The .pdf versions of each display in the same way for me. Also any option under the “products” tab is displayed in the same way for me.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I agree, it’d be great to be able to see a Police and a Bug side by side on the website. Would also be great to compare specs side by side. I don’t think this would be too difficult, but then I’m not a web designer anymore.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

The most important thing for me is 1:1 photographs in the print catalogue. I overlay my actual knives to compare handle size.

On-line, however, a comparison facility would also be useful, particularly if you could choose how they were aligned.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:34 pm
That’s what I don’t quite understand because as far as I can see, the catalog looks exactly like the reveal.

The .pdf versions of each display in the same way for me. Also any option under the “products” tab is displayed in the same way for me.

Yeah maybe I'm thinking of the pdf vs the webpage and I'm not saying it right. I dunno. The bigger thing I'd love to see is the comparison option.

For example, Micro Center's website is awesome for this. I believe Best Buy does it too.
Screenshot_20230106_060115_Chrome.jpg
~David
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Ahh yes, I totally get D's request for the website to have a specs comparison feature. GSMArena, a mobile tech review website also has this. It has helped me immensely in picking out which smart phone to buy when my old one broke down. The layout makes it very easy to compare tech specs of each product.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

This is a great idea, especially to the new Spyderco customer without familiarity with the products.

CQI in the house!
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
Danke

Post by Danke »

Needs a VR option you can pick up and manipulate each model.
Saucerito

Post by Saucerito »

I agree with the need to have a specs comparison option. Some sort of “to scale” picture comparison would be great too so we don’t have to search the forums/internet for pictures of two or more specific knives next to each other.
:bug-red-white Para Military 2, Sage 1, Sage 5 LW, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue, Delica 4 LW FFG, Delica 4 LW Wharncliffe 20CV (KnifeJoy), Persistence, Resilience, Bow River, Stretch 2 XL SE, UKPK Salt, UKPK Drop Point Red G10 (Heinnie Haynes), Caribbean SE, Spydiechef, Endura 4 Wharncliffe, Endela, Salt 2 (RIP - Galveston Bay), Dragonfly 2 Salt SE (RIP - Gulf of Mexico), Centofante III (sold) :bug-red-white
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:59 am
Yeah maybe I'm thinking of the pdf vs the webpage and I'm not saying it right. I dunno. The bigger thing I'd love to see is the comparison option.

For example, Micro Center's website is awesome for this. I believe Best Buy does it too.

Screenshot_20230106_060115_Chrome.jpg
Nope that’s on me, I was misunderstanding. I totally get what you mean now though and I agree that would be a nice feature to see added to the website.
ChrisinHove wrote: The most important thing for me is 1:1 photographs in the print catalogue. I overlay my actual knives to compare handle size.

On-line, however, a comparison facility would also be useful, particularly if you could choose how they were aligned.
Good tip! I’ve done this, as well, with the print catalog(ue). :smirk

A digital format to compare knives in different orientations is a great idea too!