Just for fun, who here is NOT on social media?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.

What's your social media position?

I absolutely hate all social media, it is a cancer on society
32%
I don't care enough to be on social media, I'm not on anything
24%
I don't understand technology, so I avoid social media
No votes
I dabble on a little social media
14%
I am on social media, but I don't use it often
12%
I use social media often
18%
I cannot live without social media
No votes

Total votes: 50

Naperville

Re: Just for fun, who here is NOT on social media?

Post by Naperville »

RustyIron wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:11 pm
Naperville wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:49 am
THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ is why I'm careful about posting on social media, but no matter how careful you are, there is always somebody trying to make your life a living ****.
Bwahahahaha!
You guys are cracking me up.
This is more fun than Tik-Tok and Twitter.
:winking-tongue
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I'm somewhere in between option 1 and 2. I'm not on any social media platform beyond this and a couple other traditional-style forums.
In general, I think the impact of the large social media sites on society has been cancerous, especially within the last decade or so. I wouldn't be one bit sorry if they all disappeared tomorrow.
That said, I think they can be useful to some people if used in great self-control and moderation. Unfortunately, these sites are specifically designed to override people's self-control and moderation. So maybe I'm more of a hardcore Option No. 1 after all. (which I voted for anyway.)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

I use social media but mostly dabble. We are trying to teach our kids self-control and moderation when it comes to social media. So, we try to model good behavior when it comes to addictive things. I use the forum with great delight, and facebook. Dang facebook enables the kids to communicate really easily, face to face with Grandma, while being thousands of miles away.

I must say, getting a discussion going about any aspect of knife life is way more "social" here versus trying to talk to any-other customer in the sporting goods store. Or, at least in my experience.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I think some have gotten more than just a little carried away with a very simple question. :rofl

Some more than others obviously. :eye-roll

The internet is what you make out of it really in the end.

Being offended is a choice in the end. :eye-roll

Growing a thick skin helps a bunch when on the internet because there will be differing opinions than yours.

And there will be people that just don't like you and or your views... SUPRISE... ;)

We all know what opinions are like, and everyone has one. ;)
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Ankerson wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:16 pm
The internet is what you make out of it really in the end.

Being offended is a choice in the end.

You are indeed a wise man, sir.

“The trick is in what one emphasizes.
We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy.
The amount of work is the same.”

mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I'm only on Facebook, as it's a convenient way to stay in touch with family and close friends in different countries.

I'm also on a couple of knife-centric groups there, but I admit that I need to filter out a lot of noise and ignore the occasional drama that goes on.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

When the general population refers to Social Media, they do not mean forums. They mean Facebook, Twitter, TikTok, Discord, etc. I guess if you are pedantic and love to label people as liars, go for it. I chose option one as it was closest to the truth despite it not being approved 100% technically accurate by pedants.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Option one best describes my thoughts on modern social media, except for the fact that I still use Instagram. Not as much as I once did but I still get caught up scrolling through the endless nonsense on occasion.

I also use YouTube regularly and while that can totally fit into the description of modern social media, at the same time it kind of separates itself as its own type of platform. It can absolutely be just as mind-numbing as all other social media though.
-Nick :bug-red
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:07 am
When the general population refers to Social Media, they do not mean forums. They mean Facebook, Twitter, TikTok, Discord, etc.
I believe this is true. As pointed out by several, however, it's correct but not inclusive enough. In reading a dozen or so definitions of social media -- in websites devoted to social media, dictionaries, wikis, etc. -- I find most list these as examples, but most (maybe all) define social media more along the lines of "using the internet and electronic media for social interaction."

When someone says "I absolutely hate all social media, it is a cancer on society," using sweeping language and absolutes, as the original poster often does, it can cause a respondent to examine poll choices more minutely, and choose more carefully. To be pedantic.

I consider social media to be a cancer on society, and I also consider it one of society's most useful tools, and a wonderful innovation, maybe second only to the internet itself as a means of finding and sharing information. Some examples of the latter are the sharing of Russian troop and armor movements from Ukranian civilians to the Ukranian military, and among the military itself. The sharing of immediately updated lab results among vaccine researchers, worldwide, during the Covid pandemic. The use of social media during hurricanes, wildfires, tornadoes, earthquakes, etc., to provide up-to-date warnings and focus rescue efforts. And, of course, sharing info on knives, mods, sharpening techniques, and so on.

Some examples of the former are the spreading of misinformation on the war in Ukraine by Russian military bloggers. The spreading of misinformation on the efficacy (and inefficacy) of the various Covid vaccines. The use of social media to unnaturally influence voters during political campaigns. And to troll other social media users by introducing obviously inflammatory or divisive topics into the discussion. ;)
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Coastal wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:52 am
JRinFL wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:07 am
When the general population refers to Social Media, they do not mean forums. They mean Facebook, Twitter, TikTok, Discord, etc.
I believe this is true. As pointed out by several, however, it's correct but not inclusive enough. In reading a dozen or so definitions of social media -- in websites devoted to social media, dictionaries, wikis, etc. -- I find most list these as examples, but most (maybe all) define social media more along the lines of "using the internet and electronic media for social interaction."

When someone says "I absolutely hate all social media, it is a cancer on society," using sweeping language and absolutes, as the original poster often does, it can cause a respondent to examine poll choices more minutely, and choose more carefully. To be pedantic.

I consider social media to be a cancer on society, and I also consider it one of society's most useful tools, and a wonderful innovation, maybe second only to the internet itself as a means of finding and sharing information. Some examples of the latter are the sharing of Russian troop and armor movements from Ukranian civilians to the Ukranian military, and among the military itself. The sharing of immediately updated lab results among vaccine researchers, worldwide, during the Covid pandemic. The use of social media during hurricanes, wildfires, tornadoes, earthquakes, etc., to provide up-to-date warnings and focus rescue efforts. And, of course, sharing info on knives, mods, sharpening techniques, and so on.

Some examples of the former are the spreading of misinformation on the war in Ukraine by Russian military bloggers. The spreading of misinformation on the efficacy (and inefficacy) of the various Covid vaccines. The use of social media to unnaturally influence voters during political campaigns. And to troll other social media users by introducing obviously inflammatory or divisive topics into the discussion. ;)

I tend to think of social media as a double-edged sword.

There are many positives to be had for sure from social media. And keeping in contact with friends etc.

However the negatives do far outweigh the positives as certain ignorant people and groups tend to use it to spread their BS, conspiracy theories and other stupid braindead garbage these days.

That and the other predators out there going after kids.

Like I posted before it is what you make of it in the end. I tend to ignore most of it personally, more so as I get older.

And it's a good thing too, you wouldn't believe some of the things that show up on my feed from friends. OMG totally clueless garbage and that is being very nice.

And the really funny thing is they think they are the smart ones. ROFL :rofl
KITROBASKIN

Post by KITROBASKIN »

One question is what were people doing before the rise of social media? Was it building things, learning skills? Or was it watching tv with all the commercials?

Perhaps a significant difference between Spyderco Forum and Facebook/TikTok is the focus on tools with some related knowledge and some extra diversions. When big social media is connecting with family, friends seems helpful, right? Confirmation bias getting to the point of radical fear and hate is scary.

Just seems amazing that so many have so much time for that form of socializing.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

KITROBASKIN wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:40 pm
One question is what were people doing before the rise of social media? Was it building things, learning skills? Or was it watching tv with all the commercials?

Perhaps a significant difference between Spyderco Forum and Facebook/TikTok is the focus on tools with some related knowledge and some extra diversions. When big social media is connecting with family, friends seems helpful, right? Confirmation bias getting to the point of radical fear and hate is scary.

Confirmation bias is a massive issue that social media made much worse.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

KITROBASKIN wrote:
I couldn't agree more! Sometimes I wonder how people with a 9-to-5 manage to get things done, and still hit up their insta! Before retirement I was on social media, at most, a few minutes per day. I spent my free time on sports, the outdoors, movies, TV, other hobbies. Now, with most of my time free, I still spend much of it on those things, but also a daily hour or so on social media.

Maybe the increases in productivity due to social media tend to balance the decreases caused by it? For example, many businesses depend on social media for marketing, networking, and direct sales. Artists, writers, photographers, videographers and musicians use social media routinely to increase their exposure and promote their works. The hated tracking, data mining, and influencing that businesses of all types engage in definitely lead to increased sales and/or profit margin, or they wouldn't be doing it.

My philosophy is to enjoy social media's benefits and avoid/ignore its drawbacks. Raging against social media, or even being disgruntled about it, does no good at all, unless it somehow leads to a better alternative. The genie has been out of the bottle for too long to stuff him back in.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

KITROBASKIN wrote:

Before social media in the 90's Internet emergence, before bulletin boards in the mid 80's, and before my father who worked at IBM brought home a PC, I worked 7 days a week breaking and laying concrete. When the work dropped to 6 days a week I studied martial arts one day a week.

I did not have the Internet or a cellphone to occupy my time for the first 20+ years of my life. I had a F1 built GPZ550 Kawasaki motorcycle. An RX-7. Pinball. And girls to talk to...everyone remembers those right?
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Post by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives »

I quit social media in 2016. Was sick of it before then. This is the only forum I even joined. No YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, or anything. I don't even own a smart phone or text. I have a land line and cheap flip phone.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I don’t do any of what’s generally considered “social media,” unless forums like this one count. A friend talked me into trying Facebook a decade ago. It took me a few weeks to realize the lack of upside and to extract myself completely from that cesspool.
justjohn

Post by justjohn »

Never have, never will. It's a plague on society that can be and has been manipulated for nefarious outcomes.
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
AH80s

Post by AH80s »

Nothing for me and never will.
I do have a yt account, is that classed as social media?
Andrew
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Coastal wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:06 am

My philosophy is to enjoy social media's benefits and avoid/ignore its drawbacks. Raging against social media, or even being disgruntled about it, does no good at all, unless it somehow leads to a better alternative. The genie has been out of the bottle for too long to stuff him back in.

You win this one, sir.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

nerdlock wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:50 am
Coastal wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:06 am

You win this one, sir.

YUP.

Does no good at all as you said.

Most of the complainers are still mad about their little tin god that was banned from a few social media platforms.

That and they couldn't spread the programed BS all over the internet.

And they are mad about the fact checkers. :rofl

Well when you spread BS and conspiracy theories and other assorted garbage, none of which are true no matter what they want to believe they will have issues on certain platforms. Like FB jail as an example.

That's what most of the complaining is about etc.

Other than that it's not all that bad most of the time.

I still see a lot of BS end up on my FB feed as described above, it's just complete total garbage and BS just copied and pasted from some other site normally. Just delusional garble really. :eye-roll

Just confirms how ignorant they really are and what to be. :eye-roll