Laminated Cos vs 3g

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tangent

Laminated Cos vs 3g

Post by tangent »

I haven’t had a lot of luck searching for comparisons on this. I see that Fallkniven is discontinuing 3g in the F1. I wonder why…and I am curious if it is because lam cos is better or cheaper to produce. Anyone with knowledge on this one?

Thanks!

(I posted this in BladeForums but also thought I’d post here since this community seems to be very responsive and knowledgeable. Also, just realized that I may have posted this in the wrong forum… my apologies and please move if necessary!)
R100

Re: Laminated Cos vs 3g

Post by R100 »

In my experience lam cos is significantly tougher which is what you really want in a knife like the F1. I've had trouble with chipping on a lightly used U2 but none with my lam cos F1 which has taken some genuine abuse. Lam cos is also quicker and easier to field sharpen.

Dan
tangent

Post by tangent »

Thanks, Dan. That is a useful data point. I also read on BF that they are coming out with the F1 in Elmax next year. That might also help to explain the move.
rgc

Post by rgc »

tangent wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:44 am
Thanks, Dan. That is a useful data point. I also read on BF that they are coming out with the F1 in Elmax next year. That might also help to explain the move.
They have already released the F1x and F1 Pro in Elmax. I had an S1x in CoS and found it to be a great steel. That said I did not really abuse it at all so not a real test. Sold it to get the F1x in Elmax and got sidetracked with Spyderco purchases.
tangent

Post by tangent »

I haven’t held the F1X or F1 Pro but they seem a little heavier duty than I need. Good to hear about Lam Cos. I look forward to the potential release of the regular F1 in Elmax.

(What I really want is a Waterway in Magnacut, we can dream, right?)