This Arctic Blast can kiss my....

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ChrisinHove

Re: This Arctic Blast can kiss my....

Post by ChrisinHove »

Jeez. Pretty nippy, then….
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

MacLaren wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:26 am
benben wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:46 am
MacLaren wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:30 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:07 am
It's 37 and raining here, with temperatures expected to drop in the next few hours, causing an icy mess.

We're waiting on my stepdaughters father to show up so we can do some last minute running around. There's no beating the chaos, but hopefully be home before the weather changes for the worse!
At 938 am, it's 0° but, the wind chill puts it at -23°
They weren't too far off, but the temp will keep falling.
Man, it came roaring in at 3am here
Supposed to get to -35° w/the wind chill -the winds here will be 20-30mph w/gusts up to 60mph - hence the the dang -35° crap
Rick, just get whatever ya need done, done 😃
The wind is just what's so dang bad
-35 in Asheville??? I'm just 100/110 miles from there, those type temps in NC just seems impossible, wow!! Stoke that fire!
Yeah, Jim is right, but I'm not in Asheville. Haven't been there in years. I need to change that.
I'm a lot higher elevation than Asheville now..
I'm in the highest living elevations east of the Mississippi- the coldest I ever saw it here was -25° without any windchill in I believe it was 1985
It was -32° on Grandfather Mtn that night too - can't remember how cold it got on Mt.Mitchelk though
Sounds like you're in my old neck of the woods. I lived off Rte 80 in Yancey County near Celo, NC. Remember it hitting -25 there in the early 1980's.
Now I'm in Northern NM. Get's cold here too but drier and not so bitter. Was in the 30's here today.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Cycletroll wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:35 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:26 am
benben wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:46 am
MacLaren wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:30 am

At 938 am, it's 0° but, the wind chill puts it at -23°
They weren't too far off, but the temp will keep falling.
Man, it came roaring in at 3am here
Supposed to get to -35° w/the wind chill -the winds here will be 20-30mph w/gusts up to 60mph - hence the the dang -35° crap
Rick, just get whatever ya need done, done 😃
The wind is just what's so dang bad
-35 in Asheville??? I'm just 100/110 miles from there, those type temps in NC just seems impossible, wow!! Stoke that fire!
Yeah, Jim is right, but I'm not in Asheville. Haven't been there in years. I need to change that.
I'm a lot higher elevation than Asheville now..
I'm in the highest living elevations east of the Mississippi- the coldest I ever saw it here was -25° without any windchill in I believe it was 1985
It was -32° on Grandfather Mtn that night too - can't remember how cold it got on Mt.Mitchelk though
Sounds like you're in my old neck of the woods. I lived off Rte 80 in Yancey County near Celo, NC. Remember it hitting -25 there in the early 1980's.
Now I'm in Northern NM. Get's cold here too but drier and not so bitter. Was in the 30's here today.
Yessir, I'm in Avery County
Man, that was a scary night! The temp just kept falling! But, yeah, I know where Celo is.
No doubt we will know some of the same people!
I've always wanted to visit out west!
Wouldn't mind retiring out there either for the dry weather.
JestersHK

Post by JestersHK »

Ridiculously cold here... snow expectations weren't met, but we def hit the cold mark. St. Paul Missouri not Minnesota...
Attachments
Screenshot_20221222_222853_Weather.jpg
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I hear that! It's a balmy -7 F here in central Pennsylvania.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

-12 on my way to work this morning here in NE Indiana. It was so cold when I left at 5:00 PM that the storefront doors on our office started to warp because they were frosted over.

It’s currently “warmed up” to -3 degrees with a wind speed at 23 mph from the West/Southwest. As the old timers used to say, “it’s colder than a cast iron commode on the shady side of an iceberg.” 🥶
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

We had -17F air temp and -45F or so wind chill when I woke up Thursday morning. The cold, we can deal with, but the wind has been brutal. Today (Saturday) we're hoping to see above 0F for the first time in a couple days.

It's not unusual for us to see temps this cold during a winter, so for the most part it's business as usual, though more people stay home and I think most schools closed when it was super cold. Fortunately we only got a couple inches of snow.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
imyavetra

Post by imyavetra »

Just signed up on this forum but have been a Spyderco fan for a long time. Up here in Alaska it's also been cold, but that's not so bad. It was the two back to back snowstorms that set a record for yearly precipitation.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so:

prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Hit 11° in central Texas yesterday. It’s currently 17° in Austin… 🥜 🥜

But hey… at least we got power this time! Hopefully it stays on. Nothing here was built for this, including me or my house.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear imyavetra:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Michael and others: Do you think this is true? The nanotechnology engineers claim that eventually advanced molecular control of matter will lead to things like complete weather control so people can make the world safe and secure when it comes to weather changes, such as making inexpensive transparent dome-covered areas with climate control.

Also, when it comes to this arctic blast weather, what are some good survival items you suggest a person keep in their car or vehicle in case they break down on the road for some hours or longer?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 10:09 am
Michael and others: Do you think this is true? The nanotechnology engineers claim that eventually advanced molecular control of matter will lead to things like complete weather control so people can make the world safe and secure when it comes to weather changes, such as making inexpensive transparent dome-covered areas with climate control.

Also, when it comes to this arctic blast weather, what are some good survival items you suggest a person keep in their car or vehicle in case they break down on the road for some hours or longer?

Keep some water and snacks in the car and get a wool blanket (real wool).
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

imyavetra wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:10 am
Just signed up on this forum but have been a Spyderco fan for a long time. Up here in Alaska it's also been cold, but that's not so bad. It was the two back to back snowstorms that set a record for yearly precipitation.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so:

My sister lives in Wasilla , she has sent me some pictures. I have some shots in Landscape and Bugs and Critters . Enjoy ! MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

We got two feet of heavy wet snow then a week later (yesterday) it was 40 degrees and we got three inches of rain. Between the rain and the snowmelt there was flash flooding all over. This morning it was -2 and it is a sheet of ice everywhere. What a mess!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Watched the temp here in NW Georgia get down to 10 degrees/-2 with wind chill last night. I don't even think it got that cold back during the Blizzard of '93.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Thursday was pretty cold. My bike thermometer said 2.5 degrees on the way home from work, with a -27 degree windchill!

Friday I drove. ;)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageDress properly in cold weather conditions to prevent frostbite ! MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 10:44 am
We got two feet of heavy wet snow then a week later (yesterday) it was 40 degrees and we got three inches of rain. Between the rain and the snowmelt there was flash flooding all over. This morning it was -2 and it is a sheet of ice everywhere. What a mess!
Dang! I'll bet so!
Man, be careful out there.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

We got all the way up to 8F today! Nice to be back above zero.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Got up to 77 today.
Had to put on shorts and sandals.
The pack was ok with it.
Manix 2 15V in my pocket, but nothing to cut.
IMG_9252 copy.jpeg