Drop Point vs Clip Point: Strength and Durability issues ?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Drop Point vs Clip Point: Strength and Durability issues ?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Hey all, how are you friends? Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, Happy New Year, and Happy Holidays to you all.

I have a question in regards to the relative strengths and durabilities of clip point knife blades vs drop point knife blades. Based on your personal experiences and your knowledge of metallurgy and blade geometry, is there any truth to the claim that someone made, that drop point blades (in this category I also include the Leaf-Shaped blades of Spyderco and other knife makers, both custom and factory) in general (taking into account various differences in steel composition and blade thicknesses) are more durable and less prone to breakage in high-stress applications and over time, than clip point and "Bowie" type knife and sword blades, or is that not necessarily true? What are your thoughts on this? One of the claims made is that a drop-point blade, if produced correctly, will stand up to cutting chores and bushcrafting use far better than clip-point and Bowie-shaped blades. In the Drop Point category I am including Spear Points.

Thank you!
JRinFL

Re: Drop Point vs Clip Point: Strength and Durability issues ?

Post by JRinFL »

More material generally means more strength, so drop points and spear points should be stronger over clip points. Of course, it matters a lot in how each is designed and ground.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:54 am
Hey all, how are you friends? Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, Happy New Year, and Happy Holidays to you all.

I have a question in regards to the relative strengths and durabilities of clip point knife blades vs drop point knife blades. Based on your personal experiences and your knowledge of metallurgy and blade geometry, is there any truth to the claim that someone made, that drop point blades (in this category I also include the Leaf-Shaped blades of Spyderco and other knife makers, both custom and factory) in general (taking into account various differences in steel composition and blade thicknesses) are more durable and less prone to breakage in high-stress applications and over time, than clip point and "Bowie" type knife and sword blades, or is that not necessarily true? What are your thoughts on this? One of the claims made is that a drop-point blade, if produced correctly, will stand up to cutting chores and bushcrafting use far better than clip-point and Bowie-shaped blades. In the Drop Point category I am including Spear Points.

Thank you!

There are a ton of variables.

In general, all things being equal between a clip and a drop point the drop point should be stronger.

However the real answer is it depends. One could be talking about something like a Randall Model 14 Attack for a clip point you know. I would put that knife against just about anything, anywhere personally. Or a Winkler Belt knife for that matter, I have one and I would doubt one could break it.

Have to take the knives in question and compare really.

Bottom like here is buy what you like the best, try both styles and see what works for you.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

It depends greatly on how they are made. For example, I have a Cold Steel clip point that there is no way anyone is going to break it. There are even videos of people trying to do just that. It is robust all the way to the tip. I have some Spyderco drop points and leaf blades I'd never do the things to that can be done with that knife. However, often times clip points are thin and pointy and the drop points are a little beefier. You just have to pick the knife for the job.

Merry Christmas, SEF, and Happy New Year!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050