Are there any models you liked the previous better than the current?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Re: Are there any models you liked the previous better than the current?

Post by elena86 »

Pacific Salt and gen3 Endura. I prefer the Endura3 handle over the ugly gen4 style. I never understood that “CQI”. It’s not an improvement IMO. Sal, please bring back the gen3 Endura handle.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Double post
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

elena86 wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:04 am
Pacific Salt and gen3 Endura. I prefer the Endura3 handle over the ugly gen4 style. I never understood that “CQI”. It’s not an improvement IMO. Sal, please bring back the gen3 Endura handle.
If nothing else, get rid of the pockets in the scales of the Salt models
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Stas

Post by Stas »

elena86 wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:04 am
And the blade shape please :releived
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
tangent

Post by tangent »

dsvirsky wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:21 pm
Pacific Salt -- the handle works better for me than the Pac Salt 2, plus I like the barrel bolt clip.
Me too. I still like the PAC Salt 2, but the first one ‘fit’ me better.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

The gen 3 Delica. If that version was made again in a hollow ground modern super steel blade, and in plain edge, it would be a very nice piece.
:bug-red-white
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

There were several that fit that description but the two that really come to mind are really old models. The original RONIN and the original YoJIMBO models I liked much better than any of their predecessors.

There are so many models out of the GOLDEN ERA ( 1998-2004) that I like much better than any later editions. But those two more than any.
Road Tripper

Post by Road Tripper »

I'm not sure this counts, but I prefer the 2018-ish Manix back-lock. I'm lucky enough to have it, along with a G10 CBBL version, and a lightweight CBBL version. For me, the back-lock is the most comfortable due to the G10 texture, minimal jimping, the closed back construction, and a bit more width to the handle. I would be happy to see a new version of that back-lock with, say, Magnacut or Cruwear.

(If anyone knows of NOS for that back-lock Manix, I'd appreciate the info. Thanks.)
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

I really like the old jimping and whished we'd see that on some new models.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
cjk

Post by cjk »

I like the Brouwer "being made" version much better than the "not being made" version. Though, the current "not being made" version is significantly lighter, both in the hand and on the pocketbook. Does that count? :winking-tongue
Chopping Broccoli

Post by Chopping Broccoli »

I always liked the original Para vs the Para2. I wish they would offer a sprint of the OG Para.
vivi

Post by vivi »

the more I carry my C95 the more all the jimping on the handles of gen 2 manix models bugs me. feels so much better without it. Makes me want to grind them off on all my XL's, but I like the corrosion resistance the coating adds...
:unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

Chopping Broccoli wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:55 am
I always liked the original Para vs the Para2. I wish they would offer a sprint of the OG Para.
What'd you like better? I owned them both and felt the 2 was an upgrade across the board.

I could see preferring the original if you like shorter blades and only use it with your index finger in the choil.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

vivi wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:50 pm
Chopping Broccoli wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:55 am
What'd you like better? I owned them both and felt the 2 was an upgrade across the board.

I could see preferring the original if you like shorter blades and only use it with your index finger in the choil.
I can't speak for them, nor do I have any opinion on the original knife design, but I've always been curious about the old detent system of the Compression Locks.
I have no experience with it and wonder about its conception, pros/cons, and why Spyderco has come to favor the detent ball. Without knowing the specifics, I like that it doesn't require an additional part.

Heard mixed things about its function and that the detent ball was an easier and more reliable upgrade, but I'm still curious about it. Hopefully, I can obtain a Vesuvius and examine it myself one day.
It would also be interesting to see Spyderco try to refine the design again or attempt to make the perfect "original Compression Lock", if that's at all possible.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
vivi

Post by vivi »

the ball seems more consistent. some of those OG comp locks would open if you looked at them funny the detent was so weak, but some of them felt fine.

I'd imagine they switched because the ball is an easier method on the manufacturing side. It'd be interesting to hear from Sal on this one.

I used a lot of the old comp lock knives. vesuvius, para 1, yojimbo 1, salsa, atr 1, lil temp 1, etc. While they were smooth the newer ones feel way more refined to me. of course I am going off memory here....
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

vivi wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:51 pm
the ball seems more consistent. some of those OG comp locks would open if you looked at them funny the detent was so weak, but some of them felt fine.

I'd imagine they switched because the ball is an easier method on the manufacturing side. It'd be interesting to hear from Sal on this one.

I used a lot of the old comp lock knives. vesuvius, para 1, yojimbo 1, salsa, atr 1, lil temp 1, etc. While they were smooth the newer ones feel way more refined to me. of course I am going off memory here....
I wonder how they compare to the Caribbean's detent? Mine isn't unsafe, but is definitely not what I'd call strong and is the only compression lock I have. There's no "detent wiggle" at all despite its relative weakness.
I'm not sure, but I wonder if eliminating the detent ball could be beneficial to Salts?
I'm just thinking out loud.
For example, as you mentioned, is the reported variation in detent strength greater in the original because it is harder to manufacture? Just a question for Spyderco if Sal et al. are listening.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool: