CPM 15v Manix 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PromoFLB

Re: CPM 15v Manix 2

Post by PromoFLB »

IowaGeologist wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:31 pm
Just got mine delivered from National Knives, and not going to lie, I'm a little disappointed in the QC on this one. Action is the stiffest I've had in a new Manix and can't even be flicked shut. Additionally, the grinds are completely off from each other.

I'm sure I'll be able to mess around and clean up the action, but I guess I just expected a little more for a $160 sprint run when all of my previous Manix's, even the Lightweights, have been better from the factory. Reprofiling one side has me a little nervous however.

Oh well, at least I got one I guess.
I have noticed the grinds being uneven as well and have come across a few others that have stated the same. It definitely is unfortunate. Some completely off and some fixable.
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

I’m NOT proud of it and indeed, this is the first time I’ve ever done it…but I paid $80 extra and just snagged one.

Look man…this time of year, I have to dedicate my “buying energy” to gifts for other people. I wanted one, didn’t want the heartache of racing around to new retailers, registering then missing it by 2 minutes…and I didn’t wanna wait until they were gone and the prices ballooned to double AT BEST.

So be it, I grabbed one and for this particular model, given the circumstances, I’m not gonna bum out on myself.
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

For anyone desperate, I don't even think this is worth the alert thread, but a seller on Amazon has 5 for $250 each. No idea if the seller is any good buy Amazon does a pretty good job with returns if needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-C101GPB ... 329&sr=8-1
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

I just received my CPM 15v Manix2 in the mail from National Knives! A few thoughts on the new knife even before I've used it:
1. It came wrapped in a yellow towel... kind of odd, but ok. Is this a National Knives thing?
2. This is my first time with a Manix 2... I'm very impressed with the build quality and action; centering is perfect and action is buttery smooth (one of the smoothest knives I own).
3. I'm NOT crazy about all the jimping in the liner around the handle/scales... makes gripping the knife with bare hands less comfortable and seems unnecessary to me when you have a well designed ergonomic knife like the Manix.
4. This is also my first time using the CBBL... I like it a lot!

Thanks Spyderco!
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

USPS been taking the scenic route lately but mine still made it today. Excellent build with no issues, even the edge angle is low and symmetrical. Love that large stonewashed blade, so good looking. It’s a perfect knife built 7-22, same as my 40th birthday-month. Going in my pocket today and very well might be there for a while.
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

Mine was just fine out of the box. I've reprofiled it and that wasn't that bad at all. See the Performance/Sharpening thread for that.

If I have to have a complaint: I feel like the stonewash on my blade is not as pronounced as I was expecting/wanting.

Waiting on a stonewashed lynch clip for it to finish it off currently.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

captnvegtble wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:33 pm
I just received my CPM 15v Manix2 in the mail from National Knives! A few thoughts on the new knife even before I've used it:
1. It came wrapped in a yellow towel... kind of odd, but ok. Is this a National Knives thing?
Yes. I like National's idea to wrap the box in a microfiber cloth. Better than bubble wrap and definitely better than the peanuts or shredded foam!
•• Beau
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I'll second the sentiment about the towel, I'll take that for packing material every time and would rather they gift that than the ubiquitous stickers etc. And I've received blue, yellow, and orange towels. They're pretty useful.
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Buddafucco wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:12 pm
captnvegtble wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:33 pm
Yes. I like National's idea to wrap the box in a microfiber cloth. Better than bubble wrap and definitely better than the peanuts or shredded foam!
I agree! I was pleasantly surprised.
attila

Post by attila »

I keep missing these by a few times as little as 15-20 minutes before or after the drops… Like Darby said, this isn’t fun.

I’m still hoping that the SFO gets more and I get a chance at one there.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Rymanz

Post by Rymanz »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:32 pm
It's not about the action and flicking...this knife is about the steel.
This.
:bug-red
Models: PM2, Endura 4, Chaparral, Para 3 LW, Rescue 3, Para 3, Shaman, Manix 2, Native 5
Steels: Elmax, S30V, XHP, 4V, VG-10, CPM CRU-WEAR, K390, Z-WEAR, S45VN, 204P, REX 45
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

attila wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:43 pm
I keep missing these by a few times as little as 15-20 minutes before or after the drops… Like Darby said, this isn’t fun.

Same here. Sitting on the other side of the planet in a way different time zone is not helping my cause…
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
SpyderFreak69

Post by SpyderFreak69 »

Besides that $250 Amazon scalper, anyone know where to buy one at normal price?
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:32 pm
It's not about the action and flicking...this knife is about the steel.
The new, hot stuff of this knife is the steel. The steel in combination with the BBB HT ist THE selling point. No question. Or at least for me, these two things are.
But that does not mean, that the rest of the knife can have flaws and one has to be ok with that.
I'm not saying, that a stiff action is a flaw, as long, as it can be adjusted. Nor I am saying uneven grinds are always a flaw. I personally think they can be, depending on how big the difference is or if the uneven grind is due to a warped blade.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Signed up for a notice, but never got one. Dealer will remain nameless to protect the guilty.

Wouldn't mind buying one of these, but if I miss out, I'd actually perfer getting a Manix2 XL, Military, or Native Chief version.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

I signed up for several dealer notices and I think two came through for the 15V Manix. I think knives sold faster than systems would send out stock notifications. Not entirely sure how those systems work though. But I have signed up for stock notifications for regular production items from some dealers and never gotten an email, just happened to browse and find them back in stock. Seems to be a roll of the dice for me. Forums and other internet sources seem much more reliable, which can make a real mess on highly anticipated items.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:42 pm
attila wrote:

Same here. Sitting on the other side of the planet in a way different time zone is not helping my cause…
I feel your pain - I’m in South East Asia and drops always seem to be in the early hours of the morning for me. Good luck finding one man 👍🏻
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
hereiamu1

Post by hereiamu1 »

attila wrote:

+1
IndianaTony

Post by IndianaTony »

Here’s something odd I just noticed…my knife is slightly magnetic. Just me, or a quirk of the manufacturing process?

kennbr34

Post by kennbr34 »

IndianaTony wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:53 am
Here’s something odd I just noticed…my knife is slightly magnetic. Just me, or a quirk of the manufacturing process?

Just a quirk of the manufacturing. Things can end up magnetized in a lot of weird ways. In this case, I'm guessing someone probably had a magnetic jig they used for sharpening, but it's also possible to magnetize a piece of iron (or steel that contains lots of iron) simply by aligning it in a North-South direction and then banging/vibrating it. So sometimes the friction and vibration from a grinder can cause slight magnetism.

https://youtu.be/oNjMLtHFxkU

We used to have a demagnetizer in our machine shop for this very reason. Pretty easy for parts to just incidentaly pickup some magnetism. Ours was one you had to plug in... Some kind of coil put in a wood box that you put your tool through and it would degaus it. But in that video, he shows you how you can degaus a piece of metal with just two ordinary magnets (or one if you can align the poles properly).

You can also trying to hold it pointing West/East and (lightly!) tap the spine on the table for a few minutes to achieve the same effect, though I only ever remember that working in high school science lol