Cliff Stamp has passed away

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cl1ff

Re: Cliff Stamp has passed away

Post by Cl1ff »

I tried looking on wayback machine as well, but I have no idea how it works and I’m glad that I was right in thinking someone else would be more competent.
I don’t think I ever interacted with Cliff Stamp as I’m kinda new to the forum and all, but it’s pretty obvious that he still influences us through his shared knowledge and much more.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
James Y

Post by James Y »

I've heard it said that "Once something is posted on the internet, it's there forever." If that statement is actually true, then there is, or someday will be, some way to recover it all.

Jim
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I was thinking that too. I hope so, in this case.
KingShapton

Post by KingShapton »

Many thanks to everyone for the many tips!

Unfortunately, the wayback machine doesn't work that well, but the link to Beyond T0.1 Micron looks very promising, even if there's not much going on in this forum...but I'll register there and maybe there's a possibility to keep the insights and knowledge of Cliff Stamp and the Cliff Stamp Forum accessible to all.
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

James Y wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:22 am
I've heard it said that "Once something is posted on the internet, it's there forever." If that statement is actually true, then there is, or someday will be, some way to recover it all.

Jim
As much as that was true in the past, it's not anymore. Millions of photobucket/flickr images were (and are) deleted with no chance of recovery, webhosting services delete reams of technical data when their host dies and the site goes delinquent. Angelfire and Geocities changeover swept away much of the old internet.

Lots of data generated by Cliff is gone because it was posted as images, which are generally not archived by webcrawlers - as well as hosted by Photobucket to an account that is also gone. However, he created such a huge impact in many places that much of his knowledge can still be found in active forums and through the Wayback Machine.

This is a not so subtle reminder that if you see something online (especially in a forum - remember Knifeforums.com?) that is exceptionally interesting and useful you should save it and share it. The (original) Cliff Stamp forum is a huge loss, I hope it was saved and can return as an archive. Specific to Spyderco, Sal shared much over there that was not shared elsewhere. That forum had the best historiography of the impact of Chinese manufacturing on the US knife industry as it happened from the front row by Sal and others. I always meant to compile what I read but never got around to it, such a shame.

20 years ago before I really learned anything Cliff was influencing me on how to gather data, make and analyze observations, and stand up ideas and theories against criticism. He is missed.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

You don’t know what you’ve got til it’s gone, said a wise woman years ago.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
James Y

Post by James Y »

spoonrobot wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:39 am
James Y wrote:

Jim
As much as that was true in the past, it's not anymore. Millions of photobucket/flickr images were (and are) deleted with no chance of recovery, webhosting services delete reams of technical data when their host dies and the site goes delinquent. Angelfire and Geocities changeover swept away much of the old internet.

Lots of data generated by Cliff is gone because it was posted as images, which are generally not archived by webcrawlers - as well as hosted by Photobucket to an account that is also gone. However, he created such a huge impact in many places that much of his knowledge can still be found in active forums and through the Wayback Machine.

This is a not so subtle reminder that if you see something online (especially in a forum - remember Knifeforums.com?) that is exceptionally interesting and useful you should save it and share it. The (original) Cliff Stamp forum is a huge loss, I hope it was saved and can return as an archive. Specific to Spyderco, Sal shared much over there that was not shared elsewhere. That forum had the best historiography of the impact of Chinese manufacturing on the US knife industry as it happened from the front row by Sal and others. I always meant to compile what I read but never got around to it, such a shame.

20 years ago before I really learned anything Cliff was influencing me on how to gather data, make and analyze observations, and stand up ideas and theories against criticism. He is missed.

Well, that’s unfortunate. Sad that so much valuable information is gone forever.

Jim
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

This is sad. I had very deep respect for Cliff. I just saw this. Don't do the knife forums like I used to.

His test of the original Busse SHBM was the first time I encountered him on the net. I still have several SHBM because of him. How many years ago was that? Anyway I followed him on and off for years. The man was a scientist.

May he rest peacefully.
Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

spoonrobot wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:39 am
James Y wrote:

Jim

Has there been any progress on locating and archiving this portion of his forum?

It sounds like a very interesting read and it sounds like enthusiasts owe this man a large debt of gratitude.

I hope it, and the whole forum, still exists.

Thanks.
embry386

Post by embry386 »

Meadowlark wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:04 am
Has there been any progress on locating and archiving this portion of his forum?

It sounds like a very interesting read and it sounds like enthusiasts owe this man a large debt of gratitude.

Thanks.

It exists!

Direct link to the recovered/archived forums: https://oldforum.beyondt01micron.com/

Looks like Jason Stone and some other people got it up and running read-only, see what they said about it in the last post here (on the new forums): https://www.beyondt01micron.com/read.ph ... 9#msg-1419

The recovered/archived forum doesn't have any posts newer than August 2021, but it looks like they managed to save the vast majority of it. :smlling-eyes

Last edited by embry386 on Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:59 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

I am a Moderator at the new site, but I seldom go there...

I will change that, methinks?

As a Mod, I can see newer posts...
embry386

Post by embry386 »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:36 pm
I am a Moderator at the new site, but I seldom go there...

I will change that, methinks?

As a Mod, I can see newer posts...
Are you looking at the new forums, or the recovered/archived forums?
I updated my original post with links to both.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

New forum.but the old forum is read-only to anyone, but accessible to all...

Mods can still post in both sites, but not affect the read-only parts
Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

embry386 wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:32 pm
Meadowlark wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:04 am

Thanks.

It exists!

Direct link to the recovered/archived forums: https://oldforum.beyondt01micron.com/

Looks like Jason Stone and some other people got it up and running read-only, see what they said about it in the last post here (on the new forums): https://www.beyondt01micron.com/read.ph ... 9#msg-1419

The recovered/archived forum doesn't have any posts newer than August 2021, but it looks like they managed to save the vast majority of it. :smlling-eyes

Thank you, this is intriguing, glad it's still available to us.
Vamais

Post by Vamais »

Yes! I was very disappointed when I went looking months ago and thought that his forums were no more. I learned so much from Cliff Stamp.
-AHAB