CPM 15v Manix 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Phil Wilson
Location: Northern California in the heart of the Gold Country

Re: CPM 15v Manix 2

Post by Phil Wilson »

Shawn and all. I did pass on a photo of the cutting tests, perhaps you could follow up with it. Thanks, Phil
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Shaun's work and Phil's endorsement. Doesn't get any better than that. Looking forward to seeing where Spyderco moves 15V in their lineup.
Kleon

Post by Kleon »

Phil

Thanks for your report. What an amazing place this forum is for learning / discovery. Terrific having a legend like you testing a knife that is available to so many.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Amazing accomplishment Shawn and Spyderco! I'm excited to receive mine next week. But anyone else start drooling at the thought of a K390 South Fork?
Rymanz

Post by Rymanz »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:23 am
The CPM 15V Manix 2 has the same geometry as the other Manix 2 knives made in 2022 and before.

~17dps

Should be noted that it is impossible to make the perfect angle that would be a solution to ALL USERS.

If a person needs more durability? Go 25dps
If a person wants better cutting ability? Go 15dps.

Cutting ability and durability are inverse relationships.

An end users preferences and uses will be the biggest factor for whats wanted or needed.

Rymanz wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:28 am
I wonder if the acute factory angle was based on input/direction from Shawn? From pictures I've seen, these definitely have a noticeably larger edge bevel versus other Manix I've seen.
👍

17 dps is my target, so that works perfect.
:bug-red
Models: PM2, Endura 4, Chaparral, Para 3 LW, Rescue 3, Para 3, Shaman, Manix 2, Native 5
Steels: Elmax, S30V, XHP, 4V, VG-10, CPM CRU-WEAR, K390, Z-WEAR, S45VN, 204P, REX 45
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

wow I got lucky checking on the house of knives listing when I did. It sold out about 30 minutes later (though maybe posting in the alert thread sped it up a bit). I wasn't expecting to be able to get one with how quick they're selling out.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Photos by Phil Wilson

Phil requested I upload these pictures for him, save him the hassle.

Phil Wilson wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:23 pm
15V

I was fortunate to get a CPM 15V Maxus 2 to work with and over the next few months will use it in a daily way, working in the shop and carrying with me. I do have some observations I can make based on this initial use. This knife tested 65 Rockwell and an average of 0.024 behind the edge.

The blade finish is incredible. Even more impressive for a steel grade with such high carbide volume and hardness.
Type to enter text
The sharpness out of the box was also very good. I made an initial single cut on 3/4 manila rope and it sliced cleanly with good aggression. Downward pressure to enable this first cut was 20 to 25 pounds. It sliced printer paper like zip with out any hang up. I have tested many knives that had no bite and would slide on rope with the initial sharpening so I feel this is excellent out of the box sharpening.

The knife feels solid in the hand, no discernible play either in the lock or pivot. The handle shape provides a very secure grip and the scales are non slip.

I did some more extensive cutting tests on 3/4 manila rope using my standard that I use on my knives. Manila rope makes an ideal cutting medium since it simulates animal hair like found on deer, elk and wild pigs. Rope does change over time depending on age and ambient humidity. To compensate for this it is necessary to to have a datum knife to compare to the blade being tested. In this case I used a South Fork in K390 that had 0.015 thickness behind the edge and full flat grind geometry. The hardness is RC 64 tested on my Wilson tester and standard test block.

I used the as delivered edge and found it to start to slide at about half of that of the datum knife. Resharpening the Manix 2 on a vitrified diamond plate with 320 grit gave a nice aggressive edge.This edge now provided performance close to the datum knife. This is is good performance considering the thicker behind the edge of the Maxus 2. When doing my testing I am always amazed on how much difference the sharpening and behind the edge thickness makes. I have seen sharpening media and grit size to make as much as 50% difference on the same blade cutting the same test media. I estimate that with comparable edge thickness the Maxus 2 CPM 15V would end up at 15% better edge holding than the datum knife. This compares pretty close with the work that doctor Larrin (knifesteelnerds.com) has done in his CATRA testing on comparing blade steels. Shawn (BBB) working with Spyderco has done a lot of work and research to optimize the heat treat and it appears that is spot on. We now have another high carbide, high hardness blade steel that will find a niche in that category and has a lot of potential to have the balance to be a winner.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:15 pm
Hey Shawn... Congrats on your new baby boy! Make sure you grab a 15v Manix for him for when he's old enough! :party-face :party-face :party-face :party-face :party-face :party-face :party-face :party-face :party-face :party-face :party-face :party-face :party-face :party-face :party-face
•• Beau
msum

Post by msum »

Buddafucco wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:42 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Hey Shawn... Congrats on your new baby boy! Make sure you grab a 15v Manix for him for when he's old enough! :party-face :party-face :party-face :party-face :party-face :party-face :party-face :party-face :party-face :party-face :party-face :party-face :party-face :party-face :party-face
Congratulations!
msum

Post by msum »

Sorry to mess up the Alert thread by asking this question there. But what is the import duty for getting something from CAN to USA? I assume it depends on the item, but is there a schedule somewhere that can be consulted? Doesn’t apply to me on this occasion, but I figure it’s possible it might in future…

Also, what’s the situation with Indiana Knives going out of stock then getting re-listed so quickly? Does that happen not uncommonly with these Sprint Runs?
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

THANK you, its been an amazing day.

My beautiful son.

Trevor Houston

12/18/2022

I'll love him forever.

Buddafucco wrote:
Deadboxhero wrote:
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Congrats Shawn!!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
msum

Post by msum »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:10 pm

My beautiful son.

Trevor Houston

12/18/2022

I'll love him forever.
Great news!

Now get off the forum and enjoy. ;-)
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Congrats Shawn! What an awesome day!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Deadboxhero wrote:

My beautiful son.

Trevor Houston

12/18/2022

I'll love him forever.

Buddafucco wrote:
Deadboxhero wrote:
Congratulations! I have two boys myself and they are a ton of fun. BTW it will get easier when he is about 2 months old, the time he sleeps through the night.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Congrats and good health to Mom and son!
DarkCleric21

Post by DarkCleric21 »

I’ve had emails and watch list for this knife. Had one sold from my basket as I was checking out. This is so frustrating and infuriating.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

msum wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:02 pm
Sorry to mess up the Alert thread by asking this question there. But what is the import duty for getting something from CAN to USA? I assume it depends on the item, but is there a schedule somewhere that can be consulted? Doesn’t apply to me on this occasion, but I figure it’s possible it might in future…

Also, what’s the situation with Indiana Knives going out of stock then getting re-listed so quickly? Does that happen not uncommonly with these Sprint Runs?

I don't have an answer to your 1st question because I've never imported anything. I'm sure somebody around here knows that stuff though.

I've seen dealers go in and out of stock like that often. I once read that they do that to prevent over-selling if they get bombarded with orders. If the payment processer is slow, and it over-sells, they have a back up inventory to cover it. Take that with a grain of salt, because I'm not sure how true it is, or if that was the case today.
•• Beau
msum

Post by msum »

Buddafucco wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:34 pm

I don't have an answer to your 1st question because I've never imported anything. I'm sure somebody around here knows that stuff though.

I've seen dealers go in and out of stock like that often. I once read that they do that to prevent over-selling if they get bombarded with orders. If the payment processer is slow, and it over-sells, they have a back up inventory to cover it. Take that with a grain of salt, because I'm not sure how true it is, or if that was the case today.
Thanks Beau.

Seems plausible. But for really hot items, does one need a backup for the backup? ;-)
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

Deadboxhero wrote:

My beautiful son.

Trevor Houston

12/18/2022

I'll love him forever.

Buddafucco wrote:
Deadboxhero wrote:
Holy ****! Congratulations! That’s awesome!