U.S. Department of Energy Announcement at 10AM ET on Nuclear Fusion

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Ankerson

Re: U.S. Department of Energy Announcement at 10AM ET on Nuclear Fusion

Post by Ankerson »

MacLaren wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:17 am
Jim has a good point. Just look at the BP Fiasco.
No matter how safe something is, if there's a lot of money to be made, all bets are off with they way things are now in the corporate world.

Yup...

The Corporations would burn the whole world down if there was a profit in it. :eye-roll
James Y

Post by James Y »

I recall MANY people saying that nuclear energy is the safest, cleanest energy source. Even after Chernobyl. Then came Fukushima.

Even if this is different, the corporations who will profit will find a way to cut corners out of greed for ever more profit, and nothing is infallible.

I don't like having to even think this, but sadly, human nature is nothing if not predictable.

Jim
sok

Post by sok »

This is kind of exciting. I have been interested in legit science like this since I was young.

I remember when Johny Carson had a guy claiming to have invented a perpetual motion machine. You could spin a wheel and, theoretically, it would spin forever producing more energy than it consumed. It turned out to be a hoax.

Hopefully, this does not turn out to be a “perpetual motion machine” boondoggle and money laundering scheme similar to Solyndra.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

RamZar wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:33 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:19 pm
This is really exciting news! I hope we can develop it into workable power plants instead of giving it away to our enemies.

The science, technology and engineering behind the USDOE experiment is for safer testing of the nation's arsenal of thermonuclear bombs so it won’t be shared anytime soon. There’s an international consortium sponsored by several countries to build a different type (using magnets instead of lasers) of fusion reactor in Southern France but that won’t become operational for at least another 3 years. These are very complex and expensive systems needing new science, technology, materials and engineering. The James Webb Space Telescope is a good example which was supposed to be launched in 2007 for $1 billion and instead it was launched in 2021 for $9 billion.
In the 3rd post of this thread there is a 10 minute video on ITER that you can watch.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Ankerson wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:35 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:32 am
Well, so far we have barely survived nuclear fission. It has give us a lot of good things, like cheap electricity. Maybe, if we can have a return to sanity, we will survive this and reap the benefits.

A little FYI on electricity that MOST people don't know.... It was supposed to be free to all people, that was until greed took over and well, we have what we have.

The biggest mistake ever made was making utilities ran by private companies. ;)
What about water! Here it’s a process, not a product, as we have so much, but since privatisation it’s become a cash cow for big business with mandatory metering. Their justification is that supply is limited by the leakage from their own pipe network!

You really couldn’t make it up…
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:06 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:35 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:32 am
Well, so far we have barely survived nuclear fission. It has give us a lot of good things, like cheap electricity. Maybe, if we can have a return to sanity, we will survive this and reap the benefits.

A little FYI on electricity that MOST people don't know.... It was supposed to be free to all people, that was until greed took over and well, we have what we have.

The biggest mistake ever made was making utilities ran by private companies. ;)
What about water! Here it’s a process, not a product, as we have so much, but since privatisation it’s become a cash cow for big business with mandatory metering. Their justification is that supply is limited by the leakage from their own pipe network!

You really couldn’t make it up…

IMO Utilites should not be run by private companies.

And they should be covered by TAX money, not a monthly bill.

It's the largest rip off of the general public in the Country.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Naperville wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:00 pm
RamZar wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:33 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:19 pm
This is really exciting news! I hope we can develop it into workable power plants instead of giving it away to our enemies.

The science, technology and engineering behind the USDOE experiment is for safer testing of the nation's arsenal of thermonuclear bombs so it won’t be shared anytime soon. There’s an international consortium sponsored by several countries to build a different type (using magnets instead of lasers) of fusion reactor in Southern France but that won’t become operational for at least another 3 years. These are very complex and expensive systems needing new science, technology, materials and engineering. The James Webb Space Telescope is a good example which was supposed to be launched in 2007 for $1 billion and instead it was launched in 2021 for $9 billion.
In the 3rd post of this thread there is a 10 minute video on ITER that you can watch.

Yes. Thanks. I’m familiar with the ITER project. A few weeks ago they found cracks in some of the components. More dollars and delays. It’s a very complex and expensive undertaking.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ver-lining
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:35 am
I recall MANY people saying that nuclear energy is the safest, cleanest energy source. Even after Chernobyl. Then came Fukushima.

Even if this is different, the corporations who will profit will find a way to cut corners out of greed for ever more profit, and nothing is infallible.

I don't like having to even think this, but sadly, human nature is nothing if not predictable.

Jim

Jim,

Of course they will and at any cost as long as they make more profit.

Like I posted before they would burn down the whole world if there was a profit in it.

Corporations in general are the most evil thing on the planet by far, nothing else even comes remotely close.

Jim
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I got to tour the Livermore facility a few years ago during an open house.
The laser facility is about the size of a battle ship or larger. One room filled with ducting was the size of a football field. It's not anything like a power plant producing power for a city. It's a very large lab. This panel discussion might give you a good idea of what's going on there.

https://youtu.be/Cmzep3YaRNI
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Where is SEF in all this? @SpyderEdgeForever you should see this.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

https://youtu.be/2kh6Ik4-yag
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

RamZar wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:30 am
https://youtu.be/2kh6Ik4-yag
Thank you for the update.

Man-O-Man did you hear all of those numbers? They need to keep that system of energy going and they need to make thousands of those "shots" every week.

I live for this reason only, to see, hear and learn about advancements in society. Life is really boring, Thank God, but this type of work makes it all worthwhile.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor (ITER) project has met with further delays.

www.theguardian.com/science/2023/jan/06 ... ead-admits

Like Charles Seife said in 60 Minutes it’d be around 2050 before nuclear fusion power plants are ready.