Safety of IWB compression lock at 12:00 while running?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Safety of IWB compression lock at 12:00 while running?

Post by Doc Dan »

I'd say don't do it. Even if the jarring from your running didn't open the blade, if you tripped and fell it might and then it could stab you. Of course, living dangerously is a high to some people. Me? I want to not have to worry about my own knife putting me in the hospital.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
cjk

Post by cjk »

There is no way I would ever carry a tip up compression lock/liner lock/RIL IWB, ESPECIALLY at 12.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

The Para 3LW was one of those models that liked to come open in my pocket. Not sure if I was somehow engaging the lock or if it was getting caught on something, but it was enough times that I would never carry that model IWB.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
40mm

Post by 40mm »

I’d stick with a back lock for in waistband especially for when you’re out being active. I prefer a knife that wants to stay closed but can still easily be opened up. Running, riding, hiking? Backlock.
Crox

Post by Crox »

As others have said, it depends on the detent.

I have a couple PM2s that when compared are at opposite ends of the spectrum. One I have no doubt would stay closed IWB. It’s got the heaviest detent of all my Spydercos.

The other is very weak. I can easily shake it open. I would never trust it that way.

So…. It depends.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Only knife I have ever had open accidentally was a Para3 (not a light weight)
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Is there any compelling reason to switch from the Delica? You could keep using the Delica while running, and switch to the P3 for everything else.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
phaust

Post by phaust »

I won't when I run. It's not that it will jiggle out when you're just running. A jolt will send a detent ball style closure bias out pretty easy. It may be fine til you trip, then you've got problems.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

I've never had an issue with compression lock detent being so weak so as to be patently unsafe for IWB carry, but I only ever carry a backlock when I have to carry a folder IWB when running, just for peace of mind (no such thing as being too safe when putting a cutting tool in close proximity to your, ahem, "biological tool"). And you're not really losing anything function-wise if you're sticking with the Delica as your running knife (as opposed to switching to the Para 3).
capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

For running in your scenario id pick a backlock or like someone said a slipjoint. Or one of those button lock elementums since they lock closed
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

I run wither with a Salt 2 or a S90V Native and I tend to keep them away from the 12 o'clock position, often 4-6 o'clock.

I don't like the idea of being turned into Lord Varys, or slitting an artery in my thigh, in the off chance that something opens if I fall.
/ David
Jason

Post by Jason »

Thanks everyone! I’ll stick to the Delica or native backlocks for IWB and only use the para LW for pocket carry. Works great for pocket since it’s got a deep carry clip. Thanks!
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

I discovered something interesting today. I have one liner lock knife with an absurdly strong detent that seemed impossible to open with inertia. I managed to drop it off my desk today and the blade popped open. I decided to drop my Atlantic Salt and Ayoob to compare. The Atlantic Salt required a bit higher of a drop but it was much lighter. The Ayoob didn't open easily (probably due to its substantial close bias).
I guess the lesson is that you need to be careful of impacts when carrying a detent based folder. I suppose 12 o'clock on the waistband is an area you tend to naturally protect from impacts though.
Jason

Post by Jason »

vandelay wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:55 pm
I discovered something interesting today. I have one liner lock knife with an absurdly strong detent that seemed impossible to open with inertia. I managed to drop it off my desk today and the blade popped open. I decided to drop my Atlantic Salt and Ayoob to compare. The Atlantic Salt required a bit higher of a drop but it was much lighter. The Ayoob didn't open easily (probably due to its substantial close bias).
I guess the lesson is that you need to be careful of impacts when carrying a detent based folder. I suppose 12 o'clock on the waistband is an area you tend to naturally protect from impacts though.

I definitely appreciate the last point – – I am, in fact, not in the habit of collecting impacts to my groin area. :winking-tongue