CPM 15v Manix 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

Re: CPM 15v Manix 2

Post by Bolster »

brancron wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:45 am
...That said, I have glimpsed the original Triple B design that's still in the works, and I MUST have that one when it comes out regardless of the steel!...

Glimpsed where, pray tell?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
brancron

Post by brancron »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:42 am
brancron wrote:
...That said, I have glimpsed the original Triple B design that's still in the works, and I MUST have that one when it comes out regardless of the steel!...

At a big knife show, right there in the Spyderco booth! I’m prohibited from sharing further details on pain of excommunication from the Spyderco community.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

brancron wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:47 am
At a big knife show, right there in the Spyderco booth! I’m prohibited from sharing further details on pain of excommunication from the Spyderco community.

Well...better to keep you in the family and not spill the beans, then!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

brancron wrote:
Bolster wrote:
brancron wrote:
The fact that it will be regular production gives me hype. That warm wholesome hype deep in my soul.

electro-static

Post by electro-static »

electro-static wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:56 am
brancron wrote:
Bolster wrote:
brancron wrote:

The fact that it will be regular production gives me the warm fuzzy hype.
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

brancron wrote:
While I love Triple B and think this collaboration is fantastic, I am sitting this one out. The only reason is because I fully recognize that my sharpening skills are not up to the task of maintaining 15V. I am happy with my 52100 Manix and SPY27 Manix LW, and those steels are much more manageable for a sharpening ignoramus like myself.

That said, I have glimpsed the original Triple B design that's still in the works, and I MUST have that one when it comes out regardless of the steel! (Perhaps in the interim I can "hone" my sharpening skills.)
What can you tell us without Shaun hunting you down?
brancron

Post by brancron »

aaronkb wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:22 am
I'm not entirely certain! I know they don't want people photographing the prototypes but I'm not aware of a prohibition on describing them. I didn't get a super close look, but it had a fairly sizeable trapper-style blade with an unswept tip and lots of belly, had brown handles (I think brown G10), had a cutout for a wire clip, and appeared to be a liner lock with a sizeable lock cutout. The handle had some nice gentle curves to it and looked super comfortable. It was sort of like a folding version of one of Shaun's fixed blades.
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

brancron wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:46 am
aaronkb wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:22 am
I'm not entirely certain! I know they don't want people photographing the prototypes but I'm not aware of a prohibition on describing them. I didn't get a super close look, but it had a fairly sizeable trapper-style blade with an unswept tip and lots of belly, had brown handles (I think brown G10), had a cutout for a wire clip, and appeared to be a liner lock with a sizeable lock cutout. The handle had some nice gentle curves to it and looked super comfortable. It was sort of like a folding version of one of Shaun's fixed blades.
This makes me even happier to have a Manix inbound, as liner locks are as close to a deal-killer as I have.
MightyQ

Post by MightyQ »

Just got shipping confirmation, first manix on the way, 15v too.
msum

Post by msum »

brancron wrote:
While I love Triple B and think this collaboration is fantastic, I am sitting this one out. The only reason is because I fully recognize that my sharpening skills are not up to the task of maintaining 15V. I am happy with my 52100 Manix and SPY27 Manix LW, and those steels are much more manageable for a sharpening ignoramus like myself.

That said, I have glimpsed the original Triple B design that's still in the works, and I MUST have that one when it comes out regardless of the steel! (Perhaps in the interim I can "hone" my sharpening skills.)
I’m excited for this folder also, but I thought it was also going to be 15V…? Happy to be corrected.

Do we know if it’ll be a limited run?
msum

Post by msum »

electro-static wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:58 am

The fact that it will be regular production gives me the warm fuzzy hype.
Aargh, makes my last post redundant. Sorry.
msum

Post by msum »

Hey all,

Not sure what to put on the alert thread or not…

I find the pricing differences and changes between vendors quite interesting. Is that a common thing?

I now understand why Buddafucco said watch the price on that Deadwood listing - because it was initially low! By the time I saw it, it was “standard”. And now, as others have pointed out, it’s high…

By the time this post is visible though, it’ll be old news, because I need to await moderation. Sorry to be lacking the ability to find this info, but is there a pre-specified number of posts before I can escape (detailed) moderation?
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Just putting this here because, after all, the Alert thread is the Alert thread.

Following up on certain dealers jacking prices, I’ve noticed some dealers doing this on in demand knives, but it is not SOP by any means.

There are a number of dealers that I will no longer do business with because of this practice.
msum

Post by msum »

jwbnyc wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:50 pm
Just putting this here because, after all, the Alert thread is the Alert thread.

Following up on certain dealers jacking prices, I’ve noticed some dealers doing this on in demand knives, but it is not SOP by any means.

There are a number of dealers that I will no longer do business with because of this practice.
The moderation delay is killin’ me. Haha.

Thanks for answering my question. I wouldn’t mind exchanging a PM or two about this…

I think it’s probably fine for them to set whatever price they want, but going over RRP and/or rapidly changing prices over a matter of hours strikes me as poor form…
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

jwbnyc wrote:

I'm feeling the same way.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Crox

Post by Crox »

jwbnyc wrote:

Agree. Even at $10 more it is irritating.

And respect for setting the example of not posting in the alert thread....
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

B28F5635-CB85-4AE9-89AF-85C19C4E3773.jpeg
MRj “Weak things break!”
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

Same color
Same color
MRj “Weak things break!”
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Oh jeeze…
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

jwbnyc wrote:

If I'm assuming that this is a response to my post in the alert thread, I will preface my comments with clarity in that I was not implying that this is how I view the standard for all yet-to-be released product. I was specifically speaking in regards to this 15V Manix (of which the thread is solely highlighting) and price hiking by retailers from the original $150/160 (I cannot recall exactly at the moment) to what I'm seeing is now just over $200.

This is a considerable hike, however due to the incredible hype train (33 pages in just over 2 months..), I see this trend following suit amongst the retailers who have seemingly yet to receive their stock for sale. December is always the cut-off before the inflation tide swallows the shores once more and all this being said I'm sure retailers will look at this model with the mindset of it will be most beneficial (financially and ethically) to increase their pricing now on this model. The market will bear this bear at the inflated price, anyhow.

Perhaps in revealing all of these upcoming models, pricing should remain discreet until a few weeks out from a tangible, physical release that will be readily available to the consumer.

I'm out of this foot-race myself, but it will be interesting to see how the further releasing of this sprint run plays out and how the market will receive that. If I were in for it, having to pay ~$50(+) more than what was dangled in front of me for a couple months would rub me the wrong way. A similar scenario has played out with the (equally hyped) Magnacut Native 5 (increased once already whilst being on pre-order for lesser and I'm sure will increase once more before release). Cash is king; so it goes.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.