The Edge Is A Ghost?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fred Sanford

The Edge Is A Ghost?

Post by Fred Sanford »

What is this? What does it mean?

The sticker came with the fully serrated K390 Delica I just bought. Yea, now it’s on my car. 😉

Can’t get enough teeth.

"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
rgc

Re: The Edge Is A Ghost?

Post by rgc »

I believe it means that it is ever elusive to attain, the perfect edge is always right there but not.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Ghost hunters scope the edge.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Got one of those stickers with my last MT. One of my favorites, matches my coffee mug too.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

rgc wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:57 am
I believe it means that it is ever elusive to attain, the perfect edge is always right there but not.

Oh that's what it means! I thought it meant "It's something we believe in, but it doesn't really exist." LOL.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:40 am
rgc wrote:

Oh that's what it means! I thought it meant "It's something we believe in, but it doesn't really exist." LOL.
That phrase would be “The edge is perfect.” ;)
-Nick :bug-red
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Good ^ one.

I recollect Sal elucidating at one point, saying the edge dies and is reborn. Maybe that partly explains "ghost." Sal believes in reincarnation...for edges at least.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Bolster wrote:
rgc wrote:

there below the surface, but i'll never be able to prove it.
:rofl

i don't actually believe in ghosts, but i believe a good edge is attainable. at least by others.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

084E0957-A54A-47F2-BB57-F68025863FF5.png
It is ethereal.
KITROBASKIN

Post by KITROBASKIN »

Maybe when a knife is so sharp, so willing to cut, and cuts so fast, Space/Time becomes just another opinion of what happened?
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Sal shared the full quote on these forums:
sal wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:14 pm
I've said this before. "The edge is a ghost". It's been around for 40,000 years and still we study it. It's technically a wedge, the "W" must be silent. Bringing two bevels together is the beginning. Then we study materials that can support as thin an edge as possible at the apex, Then we study abrasives that can bring those two bevels to as fine an edge as the materials can handle. Time and practice takes you up through the grades and one day you are a graduate "edge Junky". In English, that means nuts.

This is a good place to learn.

sal
It was posted in this thread.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The way I've interpreted it is similarly to the Zeno's Paradox where if you travel half the distance between two points, and then half that distance, and half that distance and so on for eternity, you'll technically never reach your destination. Theoretically an edge can get sharper and sharper in the same way, all the way down to where the apex is a single atom wide, but then you can cut that atom in half, and so on forever so there can never be "the absolute sharpest" because it can always be half as thick and thus sharper.

I'm still trying to work that out on my Sharpmaker though.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:22 pm
The way I've interpreted it is similarly to the Zeno's Paradox where if you travel half the distance between two points, and then half that distance, and half that distance and so on for eternity, you'll technically never reach your destination. Theoretically an edge can get sharper and sharper in the same way, all the way down to where the apex is a single atom wide, but then you can cut that atom in half, and so on forever so there can never be "the absolute sharpest" because it can always be half as thick and thus sharper.

Sorry I just have to nerd out for a minute.

When Zeno had presented the idea of this paradox to some of his peers, the room fell silent. Then someone stood up, walked to the door, and proclaimed the paradox resolved...

The paradox is of course the mathematical concept of a limit. Luckily for us, the universe essentially wont let us infinitely divide time and space/ matter.

But I do get what youre saying as well. Its a pursuit of perfection sort of thing.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

VooDooChild wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:30 pm
Evil D wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:22 pm

Sorry I just have to nerd out for a minute.

When Zeno had presented the idea of this paradox to some of his peers, the room fell silent. Then someone stood up, walked to the door, and proclaimed the paradox resolved...

The paradox is of course the mathematical concept of a limit. Luckily for us, the universe essentially wont let us infinitely divide time and space/ matter.

But I do get what youre saying as well. Its a pursuit of perfection sort of thing.

Apparently physics has solved this but honestly it's a bit over my head and/or I've never fully read into it. It's definitely more of a math paradox than real world. I like how it's both technically correct and completely unrealistic at the same time.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
KITROBASKIN

Post by KITROBASKIN »

Perhaps the challenge is to abandon all that might impair the cut, with the mind in a perfect follow-through.
sal

Post by sal »

The following email is a conversation that I had with Shawn some time ago when he asked for more depth to the concept. I hope he doesn't mind my sharing the conversation:

sal

Hi Shawn,

Looks like you are gong to tax my memory?

In a message dated 11/7/2022 2:16:18 PM Mountain Standard Time, shawn.houston@live.com writes:

Yes, it looks like I understand. You have put that into words beautifully, I think this deserves another thread? may I quote you?

Sure.

May I ask more questions?

When did "the edge is of ghost" first come about?

As I remember, it was last year some time and we made several cups and a print ad for magazines quoting "The Edge is a Ghost".

I did a search on the Spyderco thread and saw that it was first mentioned by you in 2014?

We made a steel chart where I expressed comments about heat treat as the Spirit, but I don't remember the exact quote. Joyce or Kelly might have some input there.

Also there seems to be more to this saying? "The Edge is the ghost, the heat treatment is the spirit..."

I remember there was another excellent quote from you but I can't remember where it was maybe in one of the older Blade HQ videos where you talked about the how we cannot hold the edge itself and we need a blade to support the edge and a handle to hold the blade?

If you think of the edge as a "Pure Form", then it cannot exist by itself and it needs some type of a build up to support it. Think of a mountain range and the "Edge" is the very tip of the mountain range. The medium used, whether it be Quartz, Bronze, steel or ceramic is the mountain range built up to support the "Edge".

In my "pitch" on our kitchen knives, I said, "The edge is the knife, the blade is there to support the edge, the handle is there to control the edge. When you select a knife by looking at the handle, you are looking at the "wrong end" of the knife. Some people get married that way, but that's another story.

Hope that helps.

sal

In a message dated 11/7/2022 2:16:18 PM Mountain Standard Time, shawn.houston@live.com writes:

Yes, it looks like I understand. You have put that into words beautifully, I think this deserves another thread? may I quote you?

May I ask more questions?

When did "the edge is of ghost" first come about?

I did a search on the Spyderco thread and saw that it was first mentioned by you in 2014?

Also there seems to be more to this saying? "The Edge is the ghost, the heat treatment is the spirit..."

I remember there was another excellent quote from you but I can't remember where it was maybe in one of the older Blade HQ videos where you talked about the how we cannot hold the edge itself and we need a blade to support the edge and a handle to hold the blade?

Thank you

-Shawn
Sent: Sunday, November 6, 2022 4:31:17 PM
To: shawn.houston@live.com <shawn.houston@live.com>
Subject: Re: "The Edge is A Ghost"

Hi Shawn,

I think you've got it. A ghost is something that we can never be sure of, know it all or even agree on if there is such a thing and the controversy is endless.

The way my thinking goes: Plato had what is called the "Theory of Pure Forms": There exits, in the ether, the "Pure Form" of a chair, Perfect in every way because it is just an idea. There are many physical manifestations of the "Pure Form" of a chair. They are all different, but they serve the "Pure Form" of being a chair because they fit within the idea, or "Pure Form" of the concept of a chair and serve its function".

Think of "the Edge" as a "Pure Form". An idea.

The "Edge", besides being something to be worshiped, (As you and I do) has been around for a eons. Humans have "Captured" the edge, some 50,000 years ago and they made it out of wood, stone, or anything they could find that could be "formed" into an edge. The "Edge" can die (become dull) and be re-born ( sharpened). Humans have made "Edges" out of many materials as the physical manifestation of an edge. Tin, brass, bronze, iron, steel, ceramic, etc.

That's why I say the "Edge is a Ghost", The "Pure Form", the perfect concept that we try to make. We sneak up behind it with support, chemistry. heat treat, abrasion, all to create that Ghost of a thing at the pinnacle of our intelligence. The '01 micron laser beam.

Hope that helps?

sal

In a message dated 11/4/2022 9:25:07 PM Mountain Standard Time, shawn.houston@live.com writes:

Sal,

May I ask directly in your own words what this means?

I was assuming it means the edge is mysterious, something ethereal.

But I don't want to misconstrue; I like how you explain things.

Thank you

-Shawn
clinton1

Post by clinton1 »

I'd say that's the definitive answer. Thanks for sharing that, Sal. Amazingly explained.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

sal wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:13 pm
Humans have "Captured" the edge, some 50,000 years ago
But does one every really "capture" an edge?
Or do we just approach the ever elusive edge that we imagine?

If Werner Heisenberg had flunked out of math and became a togishi we'd have Heisenberg's Edge Principle.
Zipper

Post by Zipper »

:thinking Or if Einstein didn’t become a physicist and was the ‘swordsmith’, the edge wouldn’t be a ghost.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

sal wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:13 pm
...A ghost is something that we can never be sure of, know it all or even agree on if there is such a thing...
Bolster wrote:
"It's something we believe in, but it doesn't really exist." LOL.

Ha! If it weren't for guessing on answers and getting them right occasionally, I'd have never gotten my GED!

Thanks for the full context, Sal.