Seconds sale 2022

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
WilliamMunny

Re: Seconds sale 2022

Post by WilliamMunny »

Guts wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:17 pm
WilliamMunny wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:17 pm
Got my Native 5 Maxamet today and it looks like it is in great shape. The action is hard when opening but if the back lock is depressed the blade will drop and move on its own. I am guessing this is how lock backs work and you can’t flick them?

Otherwise there is a small scratch next to Spyderco Sinai am guessing that is the only reason it’s a second.

39855D9D-E7B5-4916-8EE2-BDBA7DAEDCF2.jpeg
I can flick open my Native 5 Maxamet, but I do have to do it with a bit more authority compared to my compression or cbbl models (thumb or middle finger). Seems to depend on the backlock model though. I can't really flick open my Endela or Stretch 2 without much difficulty. They get like 75%-90% of the way open :rofl
My Native 5 is hardest to open the first 1/4, then it frees up nicely. I can’t flick it at all from closed. It is totally the pressure from the back lock. At some point I will take it apart, clean it up and put some new lube in. Extremely great knife otherwise.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Finally!

The PITS and the Mule are for me, the others are gifts.

One of the Manixes has the best action I've ever felt on one - completely free-floating blade when you disengage the lock.

The pits has a bit of a tight action - not sure if that's normal for this knife or not.

The Para 3s seem a-ok to me, one of them just has a misprint on the blade.

All in all, I'm pretty darn stoked.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

Got the ones I ordered (A PITS and a Polestar) today. They came loose in the box with just a small wad of air-filled plastic for padding, so I'm not sure if the minor marks on the handles I found are why they were seconds or sustained during shipping, but I can't find anything I'd consider a flaw.

The Polestar is the new BD-1N version, which is nice.
harpo1

Post by harpo1 »

Of the three I receive so far two of them the PM2/Maxamet and the Manax 2/S100V are perfect. The PM3 LW well other than the usual blade not centered it was perfect. Took the SPY27 blade out of it and put it in some new AWT scales. Now it's centered perfectly. Still waiting on the PITS and PM2/S110V.
--Pete
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:06 pm
One of the Manixes has the best action I've ever felt on one - completely free-floating blade when you disengage the lock.

The pits has a bit of a tight action - not sure if that's normal for this knife or not.
Nice!

The first Manix I had (S30V/black G10) was incredibly smooth. My others are too but not like that one. The first Manix LW I bought (BD1/black FRCP) is noticeably smoother than my others too.

My PITS is pretty tight too. I lubed it then blew it out and adjusted the screws. It took a little playing around but it's much easier to open now. Plus I've been opening and closing it quite a bit. So maybe it's breaking in
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Now that I've seen how most PITS look like, I'm deeply regretting going for more "usual" models !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
harpo1

Post by harpo1 »

Well I received the last two of the five I ordered. A PITS and PM2 S110V. Four of the five were perfect, maybe minor scratches on the G10 and the para 3 blade not centered. However, the PITS was perfect upon first sight then went to deploy the blade I was like holy cow this thing is extremely stiff. So I get my wiha bits out and do a hardware check, great all T8 screws. The last screw I tested was the show side pivot and the T8 is just spinning. Get my magnifying glass out and the **** pivot screw is stripped. Now I know why this PITS is part of the seconds sale because everything else about it was perfect. Anyway does anyone know where I can get a pivot screw for it?
--Pete
buckleys

Post by buckleys »

Got a Shaman, Para 3 Maxamet, and Manix 2 LW in Maxamet. I can't find anything wrong on the Shaman and Para 3, but the Manix very bad hitch when disengaging the lock and takes so much more effort than normal, kind of like lock stick, that I feel on an axis lock if I flick it open really hard.

I've never felt this on a Manix, can that ball even stick to the space in the tang? Perhaps that's the defect (not perfectly round).
Roscomcfarland

Post by Roscomcfarland »

Can anyone give me a rough idea of how much a factory second costs? For example a m4 Manix 2 XL? Doesn’t have to be precise but can someone give me a range of what a Factory 2nd costs?
:bug-red-white CTS-XHP Shaman, S90V PM2, S30V PM2, 20CV Para 3, S110V Para 3, 4V Manix 2 XL. More please.
Crox

Post by Crox »

Roscomcfarland wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:43 pm
Can anyone give me a rough idea of how much a factory second costs? For example a m4 Manix 2 XL? Doesn’t have to be precise but can someone give me a range of what a Factory 2nd costs?
Probably around $90-$100. Estimate on my part and others may know exact.
bobartig

Post by bobartig »

Seconds can be around 65% off regular prices, but I wouldn't expect them to be the same over and over. Some examples:

Para 3 S30V - $58
Para 3 S110V - $77
Para 3 Maxamet - $79

But I also have a question, if anyone happens to know. I received a Para 3 S45VN that was supposed to be S30V. Is there some possibility that it was misprinted, or is this just a mis-sorted S45VN second?
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:06 pm

Finally!

The PITS and the Mule are for me, the others are gifts.

The Para 3s seem a-ok to me, one of them just has a misprint on the blade.

All in all, I'm pretty darn stoked.
Posts like this make me wish I had gotten a few more. I did get one but it was in such a surprise and panic just to decide and get one.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
BIGSTRETCH

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:31 am
Posts like this make me wish I had gotten a few more. I did get one but it was in such a surprise and panic just to decide and get one.

There are lots of posts here about receiving near perfect or even perfect factory seconds, but it might be a good idea to temper expectations a bit. I am happy that I picked up a couple Maxamet knives to play with. Here is the Para 3
The PM2 feels like it may need a washer polish and reassembly to get action dialed in perfectly and the bevel is a little wavy. It would pass QC for most other big knife brands if not all others.
I got these to use the heck out of and mainly to play with on the hapstone, so as long as they’re functional, clamp-able and sharpen-able then I am golden. The seconds sale is a great opportunity to get a beater. Anyone buying seconds online should still realize that what you receive is somewhat of a shot in the dark.
olditguy

Post by olditguy »

My seconds PM3 looks just like yours. Appears to be slightly warped blade, but otherwise fine. Action is perfect. I couldn’t find anything wrong with my PM2. Both maxamet. I am pleased.
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

Roscomcfarland wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:43 pm
My Satin M4 Manix XL was $76.00 at the 2021 Seconds Sale... my DLC was $87.00
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

As I said earlier in this thread, if the experience was to repeat itself and an online seconds sale would happen again, I'd go for the higher price models next time !
The Sprint or Taïchung models especially if available.

My haul came in yesterday. I'm really happy that they came to France before christmas. It's a bigger investment on my part (around $200 USD cart + $98 USD shipping and customs) but worth it :winking-tongue.

Since nothing was protecting the bare knives in the package, the fact that it did travel the world makes it so that the Clipitool has been banging against the other for the whole trip. It's full of scratches but I think I'm gonna removes the pivot screws and refinish it :open-grin.

The Efficient is an excellent model ! I don't see much issue with it except an overheat on the lock face on the tang and it was touching one liner closed. I removed the washers (nylon or something) and put phosphore bronze washers in and now it has a very good action and is centered.

The Mule survived the trip too, I was happy that there at least was a bit of cardboard around it for it to not chip or attack the other knives during the flights and all.

As for the Maxamet PM2, it is the only one that has issue I might not be able to correct. There is a small bump aside from the seconds mark. This is soldering but I do not know why. Hope this doesn't cover a crack ! We'll see if the knife cracks on me later on.
Also, the tip and heel of the blade was colored by heat so we'll see how the heat treat has survived after a couple of sharpenings. I removed most of the brown/blue/black color before the pictures, my bad :woozy.
The blade isn't centered but this is due to either warping or bad grind. I think it's a case of warping since the beginning of the blade is well ground. No problem then.

:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Ramonade wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:07 am

Since nothing was protecting the bare knives in the package, the fact that it did travel the world makes it so that the Clipitool has been banging against the other for the whole trip. It's full of scratches but I think I'm gonna removes the pivot screws and refinish it :open-grin.

That's weird... During the last Online Seconds sale, all my seconds knives each came in a knife-sized bubblewrap envelope.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

nerdlock wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:05 am
Ramonade wrote:

That's weird... During the last Online Seconds sale, all my seconds knives each came in a knife-sized bubblewrap envelope.
That's the kind of thing I was expecting but there was only like one sheet of large bubble wrap on top of all the knives and the blade. So everything banged against one another for the duration of the trip. I'm sure most of the aesthetical problems come from that :rofl

hereiamu1

Post by hereiamu1 »

On the PITS I got one of the lock bares was bent and it rubbed on the blade. It didn't make the knife any harder to open or anything like that. I fixed it and I am really liking it.
PXL_20221212_193038502.jpg
PXL_20221212_233811348.jpg
PXL_20221214_215855441.jpg
PXL_20221214_220246485.jpg
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Ramonade wrote:
As I said earlier in this thread, if the experience was to repeat itself and an online seconds sale would happen again, I'd go for the higher price models next time !
The Sprint or Taïchung models especially if available.

My haul came in yesterday. I'm really happy that they came to France before christmas. It's a bigger investment on my part (around $200 USD cart + $98 USD shipping and customs) but worth it :winking-tongue.

The Efficient is an excellent model ! I don't see much issue with it except an overheat on the lock face on the tang and it was touching one liner closed. I removed the washers (nylon or something) and put phosphore bronze washers in and now it has a very good action and is centered.

The Mule survived the trip too, I was happy that there at least was a bit of cardboard around it for it to not chip or attack the other knives during the flights and all.

As for the Maxamet PM2, it is the only one that has issue I might not be able to correct. There is a small bump aside from the seconds mark. This is soldering but I do not know why. Hope this doesn't cover a crack ! We'll see if the knife cracks on me later on.
Also, the tip and heel of the blade was colored by heat so we'll see how the heat treat has survived after a couple of sharpenings. I removed most of the brown/blue/black color before the pictures, my bad :woozy.
The blade isn't centered but this is due to either warping or bad grind. I think it's a case of warping since the beginning of the blade is well ground. No problem then.

If you got yours it’s another week for me…. :winking-tongue
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.