Let’s face it Liner Locks and Back Locks suck!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
buckleys

Re: Let’s face it Liner Locks and Back Locks suck!

Post by buckleys »

I like liner locks and frame locks, they're my favourite after the axis lock. Back locks I can take or leave as long as they're in the middle, not back mounted like Bucks.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Inflammatory thread titles suck!

I can assure you that we have not ALL cut ourselves closing a knife. I also think it is incorrect to think that you need a fixed blade if you want to be able to use a knife with gloves on. I work outside in a cold climate and find it extremely useful to be able to use a folder with gloves on.

Most locks have their pros and cons. If you have a favorite then you are a normal human being with preferences. Those preferences don’t make one better than the other. I don’t really have a favorite, it depends on the application.

I want to see more button locks. I have two of them, one auto and one manual, and I like them.

I don’t understand why folks need the validation of convincing others that they are right. This is what leads to crazy group think and a lack of variety. The “liner locks suck” crowd is almost as bad as the “tip down only” crowd. To each their own. Variety is the spice of life.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:49 am
Plunge Lock > the world

Illegal in crappy states.
Couldn't they just put that same lock on a non-automatic knife. I've seen some non-automatic knives that close with a button.

The ability to lock the knife into the closed position is something I wish existed on more knives. I've thought about putting a velcro strap through the thumb hole to lock the knife closed if I'm doing something like mountain biking where the knife could get enough inertia to pop open. It's not particularly convenient though.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I like back lock better than anything by a significant margin. The biased to stay closed is paramount to me, as I carry Dflys loose in my pocket but even when carrying a clipped knife value closed bias. Similarly I detest drop shut knives like comp lock and axis. The last thing I want is a free falling guillotine and I am not a fidgeter or flicker of knives. The back lock seems like a most reasonable tool- biased to closed, locks when called upon, and more effort to close than a drop shut. The Spyderhole and back locks are the reason I buy Spyderco knives
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

The vast majority of my knives are back lock and liner lock. Mostly back lock.

I used to find back locks a little old fashioned. I dislike the un-open nature of it (can't really do stand offs), and it seems more susceptible to grime messing with the lock up. But, the bias towards close and being an inherently ambidextrous design sold me. One could make the same arguments for the CBBL, but I've only ever used it on a Manix, and I found it a little unwieldy (I felt like I couldn't hold the knife very securely while retracting the lock), though not bad.

Liner lock is fine. I appreciate it for being the default lock on budget knives. I vastly prefer them to frame locks. Frame locks really don't offer much over liner locks, and I find the asymmetry to be very aesthetically unpleasant. No idea why/how they became the default lock on premium knives. The Sebenza effect?

I don't have strong feelings on compression locks one way or another. I got my first in the form of a Yojimbo recently. Still forming an opinion.

Axis locks are a little finicky for my taste, but fine. Ultimately, probably tied with frame locks and my least preferred, if I had to choose.

Never used a button lock, but I am curious. They're everywhere now, especially on the low to mid tier Chinese knives. Seems promising.

No experience with phantom lock, bolt lock, or any more of the more esoteric locks, but would be open to trying them.

Never used a shark lock either, but I feel like it looks very un-ergonomic/ would impede certain grips. No interest in trying.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

vandelay wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:11 pm
Evil D wrote:
Plunge Lock > the world

Couldn't they just put that same lock on a non-automatic knife. I've seen some non-automatic knives that close with a button.
Yup, Protech Malibu for example.

Civivi has a button lock elementum that locks open and closed and must be opened by releasing the lock and flicking. A fidgeter by design.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

vandelay wrote:
to lock the knife closed if I'm doing something like mountain biking where the knife could get enough inertia to pop open.
Right? Size, weight, and not slicing yourself up are all serious considerations. I often ride without a Camelbak or hip pack, so those aren't options. And frankly, it's rare that I need a knife while on a ride. With all that considered, I've made the Ladybug the knife that's always with me on a ride. It may be so small that it's never the best tool for the job, but it's a good tool that can be pressed into service for just about any cutting job. What do they say? The knife that's in your pocket is better than the knife that you left at home.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

vandelay wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Plunge Lock > the world

The ability to lock the knife into the closed position is something I wish existed on more knives. I've thought about putting a velcro strap through the thumb hole to lock the knife closed if I'm doing something like mountain biking where the knife could get enough inertia to pop open. It's not particularly convenient though.

I'm sure they could, you could even remove the spring yourself but then I bet the end result would be considered a gravity knife because you could push the button and swing the blade out with inertia and do the same to close it. Technically you can do that with a compression lock too but you know how laws go, it just takes the right circumstances to make it a problem or not.

But I do agree, I would also be interested in a manual folder with this lock. Like you said, having a design that literally locks closed is a cool idea.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I’ve mostly gone for Liner/Frame Locks and have no safety issues with disengaging the lock. I just tilt it down so the blade weight doesn’t force it shut on the thumb. Also, there’s no hurry to do this fast. You don’t win a gunfight by holstering fast afterwards.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

RustyIron wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:53 pm
vandelay wrote:
to lock the knife closed if I'm doing something like mountain biking where the knife could get enough inertia to pop open.
Right? Size, weight, and not slicing yourself up are all serious considerations. I often ride without a Camelbak or hip pack, so those aren't options. And frankly, it's rare that I need a knife while on a ride. With all that considered, I've made the Ladybug the knife that's always with me on a ride. It may be so small that it's never the best tool for the job, but it's a good tool that can be pressed into service for just about any cutting job. What do they say? The knife that's in your pocket is better than the knife that you left at home.
I usually take my atlantic salt out biking. The blade shape seems safer to work with if I ever need to cut plants/clothes out of the gears or something along those lines. I've only needed it a couple times for field repairs so far. Even though it's big, the FRN backlock design keeps it so light that I forget its there.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

This is making me wonder what happenend to Wartstein.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

cabfrank wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:06 pm
This is making me wonder what happenend to Wartstein.
i've been thinking about him too, especially with the discussion in the other thread about blade to handle ratios. i hope all is well with him. i'm sure he's just enjoying those beautiful mountains and not missing the drama that he often experienced around here.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I hope so. I know he would have been all over these fingers in the path of the blade, and blade to handle ratio discussions.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

cabfrank wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:20 pm
I hope so. I know he would have been all over these fingers in the path of the blade, and blade to handle ratio discussions.
LOL I thought the same thing. It almost felt like these two threads were subconsciously beckoning his return. :crystal-ball 🧙‍♂️
-Nick :bug-red
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Yeah, Wartstein is missed. Hope he’s OK.

Back on topic - Some of these locks do suck, for sure.

I won’t keep a liner lock with overly weak closed blade retention (no names, no pack drill, you know who you are….).

Thinking about it, though, I haven’t come across a mid-back lock with a fatal flaw, except perhaps the excessive weight of the liner’d Native 5.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:00 pm
Inflammatory thread titles suck!

I can assure you that we have not ALL cut ourselves closing a knife. I also think it is incorrect to think that you need a fixed blade if you want to be able to use a knife with gloves on. I work outside in a cold climate and find it extremely useful to be able to use a folder with gloves on.

Most locks have their pros and cons. If you have a favorite then you are a normal human being with preferences. Those preferences don’t make one better than the other. I don’t really have a favorite, it depends on the application.

I want to see more button locks. I have two of them, one auto and one manual, and I like them.

I don’t understand why folks need the validation of convincing others that they are right. This is what leads to crazy group think and a lack of variety. The “liner locks suck” crowd is almost as bad as the “tip down only” crowd. To each their own. Variety is the spice of life.
^^^^THIS^^^^ All of it!! Including the part about button locks. I also have a few and I really like 'em. As usual, BFK's right on the money

I have a lot of knives with different locks but the majority of them are either back, liner, or frame locks. In fact, the nicest knives I own have those locks. No concerns about safety or how strong the locks are. They're all great. That's why they've been around so long and remain so popular

Threads like this about locks come up every few months. They're kind of ridiculous.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Alex4

Post by Alex4 »

If you need a very thin knife it has to be backlock (chaparral), and i love military liner lock, vmwould like to see more spydercos with the same, expecially in lw frn configuration. While compression lock gives similar weight, reliability, self cleaning advantage, for me it seems to wear faster (my para 3 lw experience), and i am not a big fan of the weak grip of a knife i have to take when closing it
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

bearfacedkiller wrote:

I’m afraid this is exactly what this forum is regarding the Back Locks since I’ve been a member. I can’t say how times I’ve seen members mention “it would be nice to see this model with a Comp Lock” and immediately get shot down. There are also members requesting certain sprints of Comp Lock/CBBL knives that get turned into a Back Lock threads instead. Yes, a variety is the spice of life as long as it’s a Back Lock.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
R100

Post by R100 »

Dazen wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:21 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:

I’m afraid this is exactly what this forum is regarding the Back Locks since I’ve been a member. I can’t say how times I’ve seen members mention “it would be nice to see this model with a Comp Lock” and immediately get shot down. There are also members requesting certain sprints of Comp Lock/CBBL knives that get turned into a Back Lock threads instead. Yes, a variety is the spice of life as long as it’s a Back Lock.
Don't worry, they'll all cut their fingers off eventually and won't be be able to type anymore.

Dan
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

😂