NEW!!! - Spot/Swick - Pics

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RLR

Sheath

Post by RLR »

There is no sheath, and I am just going to get one made up for me and to test... so, post your ideas and drawings, etc. right here before I get 'er done.
kjunx

rock on!

Post by kjunx »

Great Design Sal! Depending on Market Price I could see myself buying 2 for myself and 1 for my girlfriend. I think this blade shape has more of an everyday utility feel to it. The sheath is very important as well, I'll be curious to see the designs of it. It would be nice if the sheath had an option of a pocket clip much like the other spyderco folders have and it sits low enough in the pocket (or in the waist band carry) to not be noticed. Maybe drilling a few other holes in the handle to allow for wrapping? At any rate, like the design hope it goes to production.

Folding SPOT/Swick? Is this still in the works?
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

That's excellent!

And it's made in 440C at a Spot-like pricepoint, I don't see the sheath being a deal-breaker. There are knife and sheathmakers who make very affordable sheaths in kydex, boltaron (Concealex), and leather.
"I knew you before you knew you had hands!" ~Tracey Brogan

"Ah-ha! A Spyderco moment!" ~Michael Cook

"Hawkbills - Sink in the tip and let it rip!" ~Axlis

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned" ~Richard Feynman

Post by 999 »

thombrogan wrote:...made in 440C...
Did I miss something?

Pictures look great RLR!

I would prefer the hole to stay the same size as the previous SPOT. Would the handle lose anything by being slightly larger? I understand it has to fit most people but small hands would also fit a larger handle, but IMHO not so well the other way round. Blade looks great. Don't mind about the finish as long as it isn't black!

I like the horn on the hole as I think it would make it easier (if a little risky :p ) to choke up on the blade. Also it could stop rotation of the blade onto the fingers as death-bringah suggested.

Thumbs up from me! I think this is nearest to what I consider a perfect utility knife.
Dave.
bpfsu

Post by bpfsu »

Looks great, but I have to agree with the others, I like the hole size on the SPOT.
Would definitely need a sheath, and I'm sure we can come up with a good design by putting all of our massive brains to work ;) . Will definitely need one if it goes to production.
dgardin

send me one!

Post by dgardin »

Lol, I prefer this style blade, and would love to clip something this small onto my web harness, or backpack.

let me know when these are coming out and any ideas at the price...

later
Drew
One, two! One, two! And through and through the vorpal blade went snicker-snack! ~ Lewis Carroll
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Great knife, count me in for two, but please please enlarge the hole, i like to slide the knife beyond the second knuckle where it can dangle freely, so i still have dexterity in my fingers. remember that the ring is ment to keep the knife on the finger. This way you can still use my hand for grabbing cloth, pushing etc. With a knife that doesn't slide beyond my second knuckle there is the possibility that i break that finger when i should use my hands. So please enlarge the hole, if possible. the hole on the SPOT was barely big enough.

For the rest it's the perfect design! :D
決してあきらめてはいけない
UK KEN

Much better!

Post by UK KEN »

Hello All

This is a huge improvement on the original......when will it be ready for sale? :D

Ken
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

Why, this would even make a good forum knife! :p
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

indeed , maybe someone should drop a note to Sal and give him a hint? :rolleyes:
決してあきらめてはいけない
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

The Spot didn't do it for me. This does. More practical and comfortable in the hand bt appearance.
Ben "No good deed goes unpunished"
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

I think SWICK should stand for "Spyderco's Wicked Insanely Cool Knife", but, then again, that's most every knife they make. ;)

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned" ~Richard Feynman
sal

Post by sal »

Very cool Thom, thanx.

SPOT (Self Protection Option Tool) didn't work in places like the UK where the word "protection" was not permitted. They do have some unusual rules, but so do most countries, by USA values. I' sure they think us to be odd as well.

I wonder how they'd think about the word "insane"? ;)

Actually "Swick" is a manufactured word that synthesized Swift and Quick.

sal
Blades

Post by Blades »

I like the look of the Swick(4mm) better then the Spot. The Spot never felt "right" to me, I don't know if the Swick will "feel" okay to me or not, but between the two, I would buy the Swick.

Blades
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

sal wrote:I wonder how they'd think about the word "insane"?
Thank you and RLR!

Maybe there good be a rename for our British and other European friends?

Saintly Worthwhile Intensely Cultured Knife

For dieters, it could be a totem of strength:

Stop Wanting Ice Cream Knife (that particular model could be a GIN-1 trainer with which to practice MBC and Crossada drills to stave off cravings).

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Satisfactory Wife Inauguration Celebration Knife? :rolleyes: aka "wedding knife"
決してあきらめてはいけない
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

Wife inauguration? :confused: Is thats what its called, these days? :rolleyes: