Bad Auction Deal - looking for advice

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray »

Geeze ... he sure did misrepresent that knife. Like new is "like new" .. right .. ? Not nicked, scratched, and slightly reprofiled. Based on the content of his response, he even acknowledged that he knew about the nicks on the handle. :mad:

A couple of the guys already mentioned this, but do file your initial complaint with Paypal and not your bank. At this point, if you reverse the charge through your bank, Paypal gets hit, not the seller. Paypal is in the middle of every credit card transaction and ultimately gets to rule on who is right or wrong. Reversing the charges through your bank may only serve to sour your standing with Paypal. Good luck with this as it is challenging to get a live body through the Paypal help facility.

I've been boinked on knife deals several times in the last few years. A couple of the sellers took the knife back with complete refunds, but I've also ended up having to sell a few blades at a loss with full disclosure of the problems. :(
Steve
johns

Post by johns »

Well - I got another email from the seller saying that he would take the knife back (says another bidder wants it) and he'll refund my paypal account.
I'm going to send it out today. I think I'll send with signature required as I don't trust him and I'll wait to do feedback until I've been refunded the money.
johns

It's back up on Ebay

Post by johns »

Well - he very reluctantly took it back and is in the process of crediting my paypal account. I just looked and it seems he's changed the description :rolleyes:
http://cgi.ebay.com/SPYDERCO-CIVILIAN-r ... dZViewItem
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

NO TIP DAMAGE? maybe we could give him a little demonstration how the tip of a Civi feels (oops) looks like? ;)
決してあきらめてはいけない
JD Spydo

Fill me in/ and help others

Post by JD Spydo »

John if you would PM me the guy's/gal's ebay name I would appreciate it. I have about 3 that I can send you of total rip off artists that sell on Ebay. It is really aggravating to run into a weasel like this jerk. I recently had a deal that I made with a guy and he found scratches on the clips of the knives I sent to him ( which I didn't know that were there) and I immediately offered remediation and ultimately took the knives back. Anything less than that is unacceptable. We need to know who these charlitons are and avoid them like a case of AIDS :(
johns

Post by johns »

Just to l;et you all know - he apparently changed his ebay name to cb350lvr.
Either that or he has another account? Same feedback - different name.
All my messages were sent to him as leengvtx ?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

[quote="johns"]Just to l]The little round button with the two "weebles" in it indicates a user has changded their name in the past month. By clicking on it, you get to see the history of all names they have used. Some change for good reasons, others for sneaky ones, so it's good that eBay gives you at least some way of checking back.
Attachments
ebay2.JPG
ebay2.JPG (31.51 KiB) Viewed 1746 times
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

this is why I buy retail. Poverty I can handle. Once I've been wronged I go a bit insane and waste a lot of energy dealing with it. I just doesn't seem worth the headache to me.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Michael Cook wrote:this is why I buy retail. Poverty I can handle. Once I've been wronged I go a bit insane and waste a lot of energy dealing with it. I just doesn't seem worth the headache to me.
I can understand your feelings, but my experiences don't quite parallel yours. I can remember going far more ballistic after driving ten miles each way to the store for milk only to get home and have it curdle in my coffee than I ever have gone over a less than perfect knife that I had no immediate need for.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

The Deacon wrote:I can understand your feelings, but my experiences don't quite parallel yours. I can remember going far more ballistic after driving ten miles each way to the store for milk only to get home and have it curdle in my coffee than I ever have gone over a less than perfect knife that I had no immediate need for.
That made me sad just reading it. :( I don't joke about coffee!
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

This is pretty easy to handle.

Dont give him any feedback. Ever

Call credit card company,you have more protection throgh them.

Tell them, get your money back.

Pretty simple process, they will tell you what to do. Either send it to them or back to seller.

They will credit you back your money and then they will deal with Paypal, Paypal wants their money do, they will rip it out of his account fast.

Ive had to do this a few times. Credit card company gave me the money back and never told me, I got to keep the item and thats the last I heard of it.
johns

Post by johns »

I had just had a chance to do a search on ebay for leengvtx and found the name change - I see The Deacon had already found and posted it - I hope it saves someone else the troubles.

"I can understand your feelings, but my experiences don't quite parallel yours. I can remember going far more ballistic after driving ten miles each way to the store for milk only to get home and have it curdle in my coffee than I ever have gone over a less than perfect knife that I had no immediate need for."

Nothing is worse than having my morning cup of coffee ruined with sour cream :eek:
Yojimbo

received detailed pictures of the knife

Post by Yojimbo »

Hi guys i received detailed pictures from the seller of the knife, i'll post them here, so we can judge for ourselve.
Attachments
100_0954.JPG
100_0954.JPG (61.68 KiB) Viewed 1754 times
決してあきらめてはいけない
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

number two
Attachments
100_0955.JPG
100_0955.JPG (59.86 KiB) Viewed 1726 times
決してあきらめてはいけない
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

picture number 3
Attachments
100_0956.JPG
100_0956.JPG (48.38 KiB) Viewed 1753 times
決してあきらめてはいけない
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

And finally picture number 4. MY thoughts are a well worn knife, not new or like new, but also NOT abused. Just a carry piece that rode in a pocket for a few years.
Attachments
100_0960.JPG
100_0960.JPG (54.96 KiB) Viewed 1722 times
決してあきらめてはいけない
johns

Post by johns »

I see a little ding towards the tip in the picture - when I turned the knife in light it looked as though there was a small crease going across the whole width there. So I got out my cheapo Radioshack 10x "microscope" and it looked like several stess lines at that point - which made it look as though it had been bent a little. Anyway with the obvious signs of carry, I did not consider it to be "like new- never carried" as advertised. if it had been advertised like it is now "gently used" I wouldn't have bid on it.
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

indeed you where right! new is new, like new is taken out of the box and opened a few times, carried is carried, used is used.

Better luck next time Johns

Fishy pictures always scream "warning" for me, as you can clearly see, the seller is capable of taking very detailed pictures. :confused:

Greetz

Jimbo
決してあきらめてはいけない
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Its a shame but thats ebay.
johns

Post by johns »

Yojimbo wrote:indeed you where right! new is new, like new is taken out of the box and opened a few times, carried is carried, used is used.

Better luck next time Johns

Fishy pictures always scream "warning" for me, as you can clearly see, the seller is capable of taking very detailed pictures. :confused:

Greetz

Jimbo
He sure is - I will always be wary of fuzy photos now :o