Please remove MAP pricing forever!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Should MAP pricing be removed forever?

Yes
61%
No
39%

Total votes: 122

huyfishin

Re: Please remove MAP pricing forever!

Post by huyfishin »

oops double post
I Play With Salt Knives / instagram huyfishin
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

huyfishin wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:08 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:02 pm
There are always pros and cons to MAP/No MAP decisions. I think it is too high now and should be dialed back. I do understand some about protecting brand value. MAP just sticks in my craw and I can't help but kick against it, but it is here to stay in some format.

As far as having a known yearly MAP holiday, I think this would force most buyers to just hold off until the end of the year to buy. Not sure how that would help retailers or Spyderco since you'd have 11 dry months and one month of floods.
With Taichung factory at max capacity I doubt they have 11 dry months of knife sales a year.
The knives are selling. If one knife isn't selling then the other knife is. Many collectors buy more then one. Drop or lose a knife and need to buy another. year round camping. Parents always buying there kids a first knife. Kitchen staff buying knives for work. There is always one selling.
This is the first MAP holiday that Spyderco has given, as far as I know. So since MAP has been enabled, there were few if any alternatives, so everyone paid MAP all year long. If Spyderco says that every BF they will drop MAP requirements, then many will just hold off until then. Right now it seems steady (ish) throughout the year, but if people know they can save a LOT of money, they will hold off. Of course, it would never go to zero month to month, but it is going to be very noticeable. Who knows, maybe they want to pump the brakes a bit? Running full speed year after year is difficult.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

huyfishin wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:09 pm
oops double post
double reply! :zany
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

If MAP is not removed throughout the year, it should at least change from the current 30% off MSRP to 40%-45%. It’ll have no effect on what Spyderco charges dealers & distributors. The effect will be street price relief for the consumer. Of course, what we don’t know are MSRP increases effective January 2023.

There was no MAP before January 2016.

40% off MSRP JAN 2016
35% off MSRP JAN 2018
30% off MSRP JAN 2020
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

huyfishin wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:26 am
Removing the map pricing will actually destroy the market for business owners.
They only had MAP for what... 6 years? I don't think there is anyone who would say the market was "destroyed" before that.
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:39 pm
huyfishin wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:26 am
Removing the map pricing will actually destroy the market for business owners.
They only had MAP for what... 6 years? I don't think there is anyone who would say the market was "destroyed" before that.
Of course I over exaggerated the word "destroy"

Its still a move forward to improve the brand. Removing it would be a move backwards. Its a business tactic. If it didn't work for them they would have removed map pricing long ago.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I appreciate this MAP 'holiday.' I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I think it’s a race to the bottom without MAP. Big box stores that maintain expensive websites and always take the high road will struggle to keep up. With inflation and increased business costs it just isn’t cheap to run a place like Knife Center.

I’d rather buy fewer knives and ensure the dealer network stays strong. Unless I’m grossly misunderstanding the ramifications. Also voting away a company policy is a bit silly…Sal & Co respect our input but I don’t think this will stick the landing.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Some people seem to be forgetting that MAP pricing only affects the advertised price. Dealers are free to charge as little as they want. Those of you who follow the "crazy deals" thread know that certain dealers frequently offer additional discounts.
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

Meh. Vote with your wallet; probably makes more of an impact.

Until today I had purchased one Spyderco this year. Today with the temporary MAP holiday I bought three Spyders, two for myself and one as a gift. All new models to me.

But, I have no idea what percentage of total sales consumers like me make up. I don't worry about it too much; I have other hobbies and other stuff needs bought.
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

Blerv wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:13 pm
it’s a race to the bottom without MAP.
Yup!! This is exactly what it is. A race to the bottom with whomever has the cheapest price doesn’t improve the market.
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

Yes!

More competition and occasional better than average deals is a good thing.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

cycleguy wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:51 am
I'll vote for MAP w/ MAP holiday. Seems to give all parties opportunity.

CG
This! ☝️
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:50 pm
cycleguy wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:51 am
I'll vote for MAP w/ MAP holiday. Seems to give all parties opportunity.

CG
This! ☝️
:hundred-points Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

With regards to the proposed MAP holiday - dealer exclusives are always dropping now and then, so I don't think most Spyderco dealers will have dry sales all throughout the year. FOMO will still win out.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Having an annual MAP holiday is probably a non-starter since people will hold off buying regular production models.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Also, speaking as a co-owner of a small business where I'm at - Most dealers have many, many, many other brands in stock that sell well too (don't need to list brands here)...I don't think one brand will make a very serious dent in the sales of most businesses - unless of course that dealer exclusively sells Spyderco stuff (which then would make removing MAP a death sentence).

What I'm rather sure of, is that as a customer, I've only bought about 5-6 new Spyderco knives this year, down from an average of 20 knives annually the past 3-4 years - because of the prohibitive increase in pricing. I'm pretty sure there are many AFIs out here that have experienced buying less compared to previous years due to the cost. I think that would hurt dealers more.

This MAP holiday takes me back to the time when I bought my first Delica at about more or less around $50. Good times.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

When I worked at a small knife shop circa 2010, Benchmade had MAP. We sold a ton of Benchmades, and stocked their whole lineup, because our price was the same as the online retailers. As an added bonus, we were able to help educate the consumer a bit when they came in, and help create a happier Benchmade customer. Benchmade thanked us for that by offering us a portion of their direct online sales that came from our area.

At the time, Spyderco didn’t have a MAP. Most Spydercos were sold online for at, or nearly at, our wholesale cost. We sold very few Spydercos, and only stocked the basics.

I don’t work there anymore, but do check in on them now and again. Thanks to MAP, the store is stocking more Spydercos, and notably more interesting Spydercos. This helps them educate the consumer on Spydercos, and help build more brand awareness in their community for Spyderco.

Sure, it means knife afis like me are buying fewer knives. But it’s a great thing for small mom & pop stores, and arguably a good thing for new knife afis if their local shops are actually able to represent the brand better.
Last edited by kennethsime on Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Zipper

Post by Zipper »

I voted ‘yes’ for MAP to go. If there was an option for voting to decrease the MAP percentage (raised by Mushroom, RamZar), I would have voted for that option. Probably a cop out, but it seems to be a fair compromise.
The removal or even percentage reduction of MAP will no doubt have knock on effects. Good or bad, time will tell. I can say regardless of MAP, the Spyderco prices in foreign (to the US) countries is ridiculous. This exacerbates the issues.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

I voted to remove map but basically i voted for Spyderco to re think they’re entire system not only to Remove Map.

But i ask of you guys in the US the following can you guys really complain over prices locally if you look at the prices all others need to pay for a spydie?
These are wat prices look like of Spyderco’s the minut they leave the US.

Tenacious knifecenter 46,20$ Us => cheapest in Europe 64,95€ / Standard price on eu websites =>83€
Spyderco Manix XL knifecenter 139.72 $ us => cheapest in Europe 239,95€ / Standard price on eu websites => 251€
Endura knifecenter 76.44$ Us => cheapest in Europe 109.95€ / Standard price on eu websites => 138€
Paysan knifecenter 500$ Us => cheapest in Europe 629,95€ / Standard price on eu websites => 928€

So Map prices do not seem to be as bad now don’t they?