Finally found my Grail Spydie!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

Re: Finally found my Grail Spydie!

Post by Bolster »

apollo wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:03 pm

Excellent find, congrats! Beautiful knife.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

That is a fine looking blade :cheap-sunglasses
Congrats on the excellent find.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

Your grail looks like something I would want when visiting questionable neighborhoods.

Or something you should never leave home without.👍
standy99

Post by standy99 »

A PM2 in M4 was it for me…being a Aussie it was always missed or dealers wouldn’t ship to Australia in the day..(yes 2018 it was hard to get knives from nearly all dealers except BHQ or Knifecenter)
Wasn’t playing EBay double prices and had the GB1 already so time could pass by…

Then finally in 2018

Not a huge grail but it was what I wanted for a bit….Don’t really have grails

More a wanted for a bit….

A real Grail would be a EDC Spyderco M4 fixed blade……so doesn’t exist is more a grail to me
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I love the Chinook! Congratulations!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Congrats on the great find. Just another prime example of just how awesome Spyderco models were in why I refer to as "The GOLDEN ERA of SPYDERS" ( 1998-2004). I think that was a 2003 model if my memory serves me well. I'm pretty sure it was launched the same year of the Dodo ( one of my all time super favorites)..

That original Chinook model I believe was also rolled out that same year. It was truly a great time to be an avid Spyderco fan.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Thank you all! I feel very lucky and i hope all of you that have a model that they want badly get there’s soon!

Also JD the seller says this one is from 1997 is there anyway to check if that date is possible?
The oldest catalog i found was 2007 and that one talks about the chinook 3 so i guess since the chinook 2 was in between them its possible?
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

CPM154/S90V Native 5 and fluted Ti Native 5.

I just said they were my grails a month ago and 2 guys offered to find me the first one I mentionned. After some years, I might have it even if I was mentionning them as grail with no real hope to score one !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Ranger000

Post by Ranger000 »

AH80s wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:28 pm
Congratulations apollo.
For me I'm looking for a Plain edge Stainless Police Model with the tip down right hand only carry.
Then you can buy it now if you really want it !!

https://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Signatu ... 4LC7I?th=1
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

apollo wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:01 am
Also JD the seller says this one is from 1997 is there anyway to check if that date is possible?
The oldest catalog i found was 2007 and that one talks about the chinook 3 so i guess since the chinook 2 was in between them its possible?
Congrats to your catch, apollo!
What you show is a Chinook 1 (a biest and tank of a folding knife) and production was 2000-2003.

My hunt for my personal grail-knife is still running - C19P Bob Terzuola Jr. Black Alu ...
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Looks to be in great condition, too!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
AH80s

Post by AH80s »

Ranger000 wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:29 am
AH80s wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:28 pm
Congratulations apollo.
For me I'm looking for a Plain edge Stainless Police Model with the tip down right hand only carry.
Then you can buy it now if you really want it !!

https://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Signatu ... 4LC7I?th=1
Thanks. I was looking for td/rh like the originals without the extra screw holes.
Andrew
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Cool find, congratulations! In my experience, once you found your grail, another will soon become your next grail.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-28-2024 Instagram
infinkc

Post by infinkc »

Nice pickup, I have always been on the hunt for certain models, but now I’m at a standstill since I have obtained them and don’t have much more that interests me. Half the fun is the search. Been collecting c22 Walkers now as it was my first dream knife when I got into Spydercos in the 90s but couldn’t afford them at the time.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’m not sure I have a grail knife. I’m mighty interested in the choil-less Shaman. There are pieces of several knives I really like, such as the Viele blade but not the handle. The Goddard blades look fantastic. An amalgamation of the Military’s blade in a PM2-sized choil-less handle would be outstanding. Bring that edge right back to the handle. The Amalgam is so close- but the edge ends too far before the handle. I guess the closest thing I Kunath can’t see enough is the Lum tanto. It is stunning! I just really have no use for it so it would be a collection piece. I am probably too fickle to have a grail. Once favorites have long been sold off to fund new interests. Except for my customs bows and Shiloh Sharps, those are heirlooms!
vivi

Post by vivi »

Mr Blonde wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:54 am
Cool find, congratulations! In my experience, once you found your grail, another will soon become your next grail.
I'm lucky. My grail can be purchased any day of the week for under $100. Still picking up other spydies for flavor but I can't imagine finding a pocket knife I prefer to Pacific Salts.
:unicorn
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I never paid much attention to the Chinook, but man is that one sweet looking knife. I love the big, neutral handle, and the exaggerated clip point.

Congrats on finding your grail!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
apollo

Post by apollo »

Mr Blonde wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:54 am
Thx Mr Blonde! And i hope so but it will definitely be something that is not out yet.
But who knows what Sal and Eric still have up there sleeve.
Hope we get some good news about the Amsterdam meet i would love to go again and who knows discover a new grail between the prototypes.
apollo

Post by apollo »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:08 pm
I never paid much attention to the Chinook, but man is that one sweet looking knife. I love the big, neutral handle, and the exaggerated clip point.

Congrats on finding your grail!
Thx. I am crazy about big handles they are so comfortable in hand. And well those old lock backs make my arm hair stand up every time i hear that back vault “click”. :beaming-face
The blade is for me personally the most beautiful shape spyderco has ever made in a folder.
I hope something inspired by it will some day return.
apollo

Post by apollo »

Peter1960 wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:57 am
apollo wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:01 am
Congrats to your catch, apollo!
What you show is a Chinook 1 (a biest and tank of a folding knife) and production was 2000-2003.

My hunt for my personal grail-knife is still running - C19P Bob Terzuola Jr. Black Alu ...
Thx Peter! I hope you find that Bob Terzuola jr you are looking for , it sounds like very rare model. Can not remember ever seeing any terzuola for sale except starmates offcourse.