Siren - strange lock movement

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: Siren - strange lock movement

Post by sal »

Hi all,

Thanx Lance and Chad for chiming in.

It has been an issue for sure. As an update, the ex factory manager was sure he had a fix and cut 1200 blades and locks, which it turned out didn't work. Had to trash them. You do the math.

Now Doug, our lead engineer has been working on the project and we've tried 3 different configurations that did sort out both the "pop up" and lock defeat. Sometimes they look good on paper, but testing shows flaws. We're still trying to find the optimal solution that will work well in production. It's all in the angles with a thou making a difference.

Please keep in mind that we are producing thousands of knives every month and this is not the only project in-the-works. Each solution has to be cut, heat treated, ground, wire EDM, and assembled before testing. We've moved pivots, (new handles) and adjusted the interfaces. Your kind patience is appreciated.

Once we have it sorted, we'll replace any knife for which the customer is not happy.

sal
Matus

Post by Matus »

I wish all business owners would be so open about recognizing issues and communicating them with their customer base. My hat if off to you, Sal.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

sal wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:26 am
Hi all,

Thanx Lance and Chad for chiming in.

It has been an issue for sure. As an update, the ex factory manager was sure he had a fix and cut 1200 blades and locks, which it turned out didn't work. Had to trash them. You do the math.

Now Doug, our lead engineer has been working on the project and we've tried 3 different configurations that did sort out both the "pop up" and lock defeat. Sometimes they look good on paper, but testing shows flaws. We're still trying to find the optimal solution that will work well in production. It's all in the angles with a thou making a difference.

Please keep in mind that we are producing thousands of knives every month and this is not the only project in-the-works. Each solution has to be cut, heat treated, ground, wire EDM, and assembled before testing. We've moved pivots, (new handles) and adjusted the interfaces. Your kind patience is appreciated.

Once we have it sorted, we'll replace any knife for which the customer is not happy.

sal
Thank you Sal and all involved in the solution back in Colorado.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

No dog in the fight as I don't have a Siren (though I almost bought one)... but it would likely just be cheaper to discontinue the model and exchange everyone who wants for a Spydie Chef or something similar. This would also drive up the prices on the secondary for those that don't trade it in...

No doubt it is a great knife, but that sounds like a **** of a lot of work to fix it.

Kudos to Spyderco for working so hard to make things right.
craytab

Post by craytab »

sal wrote:
And that is what keeps me coming back to Spyderco!

For me personally, and in my current knife usage journey, the wait was too long. Maybe I'll buy again in the future. That said, I have complete faith that the issue will be resolved and Spyderco will take care of their customers.

Thank you Sal!
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

How a person or company acts in the face of adversity is often more telling than the successes they've had along the way. Kudos to Sal & Co. Situations like this and the Rhino are not lost on people who value integrity.
phaust

Post by phaust »

The issue is not good, and taking this long to find a fix is not good, but I have to say it's really great that Spyderco isn't just shelving the model like bobnikon said. Unlike how the Mantras and all the "bearing-gate" first generation bearing knives were killed off, it's nice that the company is trying to keep the model around rather than just pull it. I'll definitely be picking one of these up when the new version is released.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

sal wrote:

As an update, the ex factory manager was sure he had a fix and cut 1200 blades and locks, which it turned out didn't work. Had to trash them. You do the math.

sal

Ouch! Costly! Good news seeing “ex”!
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Do we have any updates if this problem has been resolved and Sirens available at dealers are updated stock or old with this potential problem ? Really like this design . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

It is a good design. I would guess we won't see a fix until next year, which is disappointing to those of us who have already spent our money on one.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:51 am
It is a good design. I would guess we won't see a fix until next year, which is disappointing to those of us who have already spent our money on one.
Thanks for information, guess I will wait till next year and move on down my list . Dan
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
craytab

Post by craytab »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:24 am
Do we have any updates if this problem has been resolved and Sirens available at dealers are updated stock or old with this potential problem ? Really like this design . MG2
I would count on any you can find currently in stock right now to potentially have this issue. Even after the fix is implemented (which a time frame for is still undetermined), you should ask the dealer if they have the CQI version.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

craytab wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:37 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:24 am
I would count on any you can find currently in stock right now to potentially have this issue. Even after the fix is implemented (which a time frame for is still undetermined), you should ask the dealer if they have the CQI version.
Yes that is my plan . I would rather wait and hear about CQI updated version before placing an order . Minor setback, no biggie . Thank you for your advice . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
Monty

Post by Monty »

Any updates? Has this issue been fixed for the new models and the Sprint run?
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I believe the second letter on the box should say V for a manufacture year of 2022…
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Yes, the issue has been fixed and the knife is spectacular. The sprint run should also have the improvements. Try to grab one of the LC200N models that have been discontinued before they are all gone.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I recently bought a Siren. I found reports on the forum of the the "lock CQI replacement" trickling in from end of Feb 2022.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87480&start=60

Mine has a manufacture date of March 2022 (code CV) and does not have the lock issue.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Monty

Post by Monty »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:36 pm
Yes, the issue has been fixed and the knife is spectacular. The sprint run should also have the improvements. Try to grab one of the LC200N models that have been discontinued before they are all gone.
I had one with the issues and really liked it otherwise. Just checking before I go in on the Sprint. The waterway remains one of my most used knives to date.
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

I like my first run knife I immediately ordered a second one. So I have 2 that potentially have the “issue” but I think I only noticed it once or twice before this post was started. I don’t feel it’s a safety issue so I haven’t sent either one in. I like the model and don’t see how the lock bar popping up is a problem. It sounds like I’m in the minority here.

I hope this issue wasn’t the reason for it being discontinued.
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

I'd be putting in an extra pin like cold steels triad lock and tweaking the design, which I believe is the best lockback design one the planet.
I own a lot of both cold steel and Spyderco lock backs, over 10 of each.
The quality and toughness of the triad and its rock solid lock ups is out of this world, credit where credits due to Andrew Demko..