Para 3 Blade wiggle when closed - how to resolve?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
islandpar

Para 3 Blade wiggle when closed - how to resolve?

Post by islandpar »

I notice of late that when I close my para 3, that there's a wiggle (slight movement when you hold the blade and the scale and lightly pull). My other para 3's are not like this, their blades sit firmly in place and no wiggle. It's not yet to the point that when you shake the knife there's an audible moving but it's kinda irritating to find out it has this issue.

Has anyone experienced the same? How'd you fix it? The knife hasn't been put to hard use yet but will be. There is no horizontal or vertical play when opened. The detent ball is still present.

Thanks in advance!
"Remember, it is never the knife's fault." - Daniel Boulud

18 Spyders and counting...
phaust

Re: Para 3 Blade wiggle when closed - how to resolve?

Post by phaust »

Did you try tightening the pivot screws?
cjk

Post by cjk »

Is this detent slop while closed? Basically when the knife is closed, you can wiggle the blade just a tiny bit without breaking the detent which holds it closed? My only Para 3 lightweight has this feature. Is yours a Para 3 lightweight or a G-10 one?
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

cjk wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:38 am
Is this detent slop while closed? Basically when the knife is closed, you can wiggle the blade just a tiny bit without breaking the detent which holds it closed? My only Para 3 lightweight has this feature. Is yours a Para 3 lightweight or a G-10 one?
That's what I assumed he was talking about too, detent lash. Just like you I've only had one para 3 LW, and it had a decent amount of detent lash.

Assuming thats what it is, It's pretty easy to fix but it would definitely void your warranty and it's not something I'd recommend if you're a novice at knife modding/repair.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
cjk

Post by cjk »

Giygas wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:51 am
cjk wrote:
That's what I assumed he was talking about too, detent lash. Just like you I've only had one para 3 LW, and it had a decent amount of detent lash.

Assuming thats what it is, It's pretty easy to fix but it would definitely void your warranty and it's not something I'd recommend if you're a novice at knife modding/repair.
Could you elaborate on the fix? I'm assuming it's removing the detent ball and reseating it a bit more proud of the lock bar. Or is it something else?
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

I use a carbide ball nose end mill to VERY slightly "flare" the detent hole. If it's really bad, I use it in a Dremel on the lowest speed, but 9 times out of 10 I can do it by hand.

If that doesn't fix it, then I do what you said.
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

cjk

Post by cjk »

Giygas wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:19 pm
I use a carbide ball nose end mill to VERY slightly "flare" the detent hole. If it's really bad, I use it in a Dremel on the lowest speed, but 9 times out of 10 I can do it by hand.

Thanks Giygas!
PeanutButterFan

Post by PeanutButterFan »

I have Military that has detent play as well. I’ve decided to ignore it but if there is a simple fix I would be interested in fixing it. It’s the only knife I’ve ever had with this issue.
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

Giygas wrote:

If there is slop wouldn’t it be from the hole already being too large for the detent ball? And if so, won’t this make the problem worse?

I thought flaring the hole for the detent was to add a bigger opening to allow the detent ball to seat farther in and allow for a tighter detent. But that’s when the hole is not large enough for the detent ball to rest deep enough, causing weak detent. A separate issue.

Not trying to argue, just trying to understand.
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

Ranger_Ike wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:35 pm
Giygas wrote:

If there is slop wouldn’t it be from the hole already being too large for the detent ball? And if so, won’t this make the problem worse?

I thought flaring the hole for the detent was to add a bigger opening to allow the detent ball to seat farther in and allow for a tighter detent. But that’s when the hole is not large enough for the detent ball to rest deep enough, causing weak detent. A separate issue.

Not in my experience.

The lash comes from the ball not seating deep enough, which is fixed the same way you would increase detent strength. You even said that it makes a tighter detent...

What you're saying does also cause detent lash, but I've never seen that be the problem in a Spyderco. It would also make the lockbar "bottom out" on the blade, so it's easy to tell the difference just by looking.
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

Giygas wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:53 pm
Ranger_Ike wrote:
Giygas wrote:

It would also make the lockbar "bottom out" on the blade, so it's easy to tell the difference just by looking.
That makes sense. I guess that would be a highly unlikely scenario for a new knife. Thank you
islandpar

Post by islandpar »

phaust wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:22 am
Did you try tightening the pivot screws?
Yes tried that already. Didn't work, thanks though!

islandpar

Post by islandpar »

cjk wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:06 pm
Giygas wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:51 am
cjk wrote:

Could you elaborate on the fix? I'm assuming it's removing the detent ball and reseating it a bit more proud of the lock bar. Or is it something else?
Exactly that! Sorry wasn't familiar with the exact term. The blade was from a para 3 LW and I transferred it to regular para 3 scales. It had the slop/lash when on the LW but that stopped when I transferred it, however after quite sometime it now has the lash but not as "loose" as on the LW FRN. I tried experimenting by transferring the blade to another set of liners and had the same result.

phaust

Post by phaust »

I misunderstood the movement, sorry about that!

It won't be permanent, but a dab of grease like tri-lube in the detent hole will keep it from rattling around if the noise is the main the annoyance. Again, not permanent, but it does keep the noise away a long time.
islandpar

Post by islandpar »

Ranger_Ike wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:56 pm
Giygas wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:53 pm
Ranger_Ike wrote:
Giygas wrote:

It would also make the lockbar "bottom out" on the blade, so it's easy to tell the difference just by looking.
That makes sense. I guess that would be a highly unlikely scenario for a new knife. Thank you
So if it's not the hole size, what could it be? Some people I've talked to recommend to bend the lock bar more inward while a few says bend it outward. The inward kind of makes sense (sorry my mods are limited to scales, anything else is done by a friend - so limited knowledge here) as it would tighten the grip on the blade while close?

Learning a lot and hope to be able to sort this out. Thanks all! Apologies for the delay in replies - I'm on the other side of the world.

Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Same happens with my P3 lightweight, there's a few mm play when closed.
Might get the Dremel onto it like suggested here.
BaronKrause

Post by BaronKrause »

How much space is between the blade and liner by the pivot? If the pivot is rotated a bit then the D shape of it will prevent it from fully going in, leading you to be able to fully tighten down the screws but still have a little bit of slop.