Spyderco Military 2 steel?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Popsickle

Spyderco Military 2 steel?

Post by Popsickle »

Have we heard anything about the initial production steel of the Millie 2? I’m really hoping for magnacut. I have been super selective in my purchases recently, and am holding out for this and another knife.
vivi

Re: Spyderco Military 2 steel?

Post by vivi »

s30v
:unicorn
elena86

Post by elena86 »

They said S30V. Good choice.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Huh. I would have expected at least S45 to keep on par with the Para line.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Soulrack

Post by Soulrack »

S30V is disappointing. Why not SPY27? A signature steel for what's sure to become a signature knife?
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I’m not disappointed with choice , may be a wait and see reaction to new model . If successful I expect the doors to open to different steel variations and exclusives. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

I do not get the people that are against s30v for the base model. You can not choose a better steel for it.
The Spy steel was a good idea but i gues since all spy models are more expensive then there s30v variants its probably a choice to keep the price lower.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

S30V is fine, but I will approach this iteration with only mild curiosity until I start to hear things that ignite my passion. Did the same with the PM2 Tanto, and now have one…
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
phaust

Post by phaust »

apollo wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:08 am
I do not get the people that are against s30v for the base model. You can not choose a better steel for it.
The Spy steel was a good idea but i gues since all spy models are more expensive then there s30v variants its probably a choice to keep the price lower.
Yeah, higher price for the same class of steel probably no one can tell the differences between when Spyderco is being hit left and right for being too expensive probably doesn't make sense. It also doesn't seem like the steel is an attraction that generates buzz either, so it won't make it up with more sales.

I'm sure there will be a SPY27 sprint down the line for those who want the same performance at a higher price :winking-tongue
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

phaust wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:50 am
apollo wrote:
Yeah, higher price for the same class of steel probably no one can tell the differences between when Spyderco is being hit left and right for being too expensive probably doesn't make sense. It also doesn't seem like the steel is an attraction that generates buzz either, so it won't make it up with more sales.

I'm sure there will be a SPY27 sprint down the line for those who want the same performance at a higher price :winking-tongue
Ok, that is funny. :rofl Maybe a little more toughness at the edge with its composition and hrc, but that is tough to argue. Well done.

Oh, you get blue scales too. I prefer blue.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

phaust wrote:
apollo wrote:

Indeed there are enough people here that would sell there mother in law so that they could pay extra to get some other steel then s30v :winking-tongue
phaust

Post by phaust »

JSumm wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:01 pm
phaust wrote:
apollo wrote:

Ok, that is funny. :rofl Maybe a little more toughness at the edge with its composition and hrc, but that is tough to argue. Well done.

Oh, you get blue scales too. I prefer blue.
That blue is sweet to be fair
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Why S30v as the base steel when there are other steels available that are less expensive and can exceed S30v in some important categories like corrosion resistance and toughness? Would you like a knife that costs less, is more rust resistant, and where the edge (or whole blade stock) can be thinner and stable? On top of that, add easier sharpening. S30V defenders are no less steel snobs than those who want higher cost steels.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
vivi

Post by vivi »

s30v is fine by me, I just hope we see a DLC option fairly soon after the satin release.
James Y

Post by James Y »

S30V is OK. I like it, but TBH, if the Military 2 were to come out at the exact same price in S45VN, or even S35VN, and DLC-coated, I'd like it better.

Jim
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

It'll be hard to rationalize buying a Military 2 when:
1) The existing Military is my all-time favorite folder
2) Other than the backlock, the liner lock is my favorite
3) The comp lock is my least favorite
4) S30V is great but not inspiring
5) I'm really tired of black handles on base models.

I bet I find a way, though. ;)
vivi

Post by vivi »

out of curiosity why does the liner lock work so much better for you than comp lock?

I'm about an equal fan of both. neither are in my top 3 of locks because they're detent based, but between the two it'e mostly a toss up for me. The comp lock knives tend to have slightly better ergos than the large cut out liner locks, but it's not that big of a difference.
adv23

Post by adv23 »

CQI = S45VN
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Coastal wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:55 pm

That's what I refer to as the Amish suit.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:20 pm
Coastal wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:55 pm

That's what I refer to as the Amish suit.
Good one. That's how I'll think of it from now on. :cheap-sunglasses