Seconds sale 2022

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
akapennypincher

Re: Seconds sale 2022

Post by akapennypincher »

yablanowitz wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:23 pm
akapennypincher wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:08 pm
Why or what makes a SECOND a Second???
It is a knife that has failed Spyderco's stringent Quality Control, but is still functional and safe to use. The defect can be something as small as a tip overheated during sharpening, a slight warp in the blade or a rough spot in the G-10. Most of mine I've never figured out what the defect actually was. Others it has been pretty obvious, usually poor fit on scales.
Thx.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I wonder if olders models can be found there ? I've been after a Ti N5 for a while, and would be willing to find a proxy for this :squinting-tongue
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Ramonade wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:44 am
I wonder if olders models can be found there ? I've been after a Ti N5 for a while, and would be willing to find a proxy for this :squinting-tongue
Sometimes older models can be found but there’s no predictability to what’s going to be there. Some standout models I’ve seen in the past few years are models like a Leafstorm and Spyderwrench. I’ve seen Fluted Ti Native 5 after being discontinued as well but don’t recall seeing any last year.
-Nick :bug-red
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:17 am
Ramonade wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:44 am
Sometimes older models can be found but there’s no predictability to what’s going to be there. Some standout models I’ve seen in the past few years are models like a Leafstorm and Spyderwrench. I’ve seen Fluted Ti Native 5 after being discontinued as well but don’t recall seeing any last year.
I see, thanks for the intel. I don't think it would be worth it to send money to someone and bother him to chase something very special. A broader list would be less annoying.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
WhitePineOwl

Post by WhitePineOwl »

After decades of wanting to make it out to the SFO I’m finally doing it and for the seconds sale. Can anyone tell me what to expect for when I should get there to be in line? When have people showed up and when do they open the doors in the past?
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear WhitePoneOwl:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
standy99

Post by standy99 »

yablanowitz wrote:
akapennypincher wrote:
It is a knife that has failed Spyderco's stringent Quality Control, but is still functional and safe to use. The defect can be something as small as a tip overheated during sharpening, a slight warp in the blade or a rough spot in the G-10. Most of mine I've never figured out what the defect actually was. Others it has been pretty obvious, usually poor fit on scales.
Same, bought a few Native 5 Maxamets in the great online sale and had to give a mate one and couldn’t fault them when picking which one to give away
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

WhitePineOwl wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:53 pm
After decades of wanting to make it out to the SFO I’m finally doing it and for the seconds sale. Can anyone tell me what to expect for when I should get there to be in line? When have people showed up and when do they open the doors in the past?
So far, I think Mushroom (Nick) has the record at a week early. Usually the line is around at least two sides of the building by opening time. A bunch of us arrive a day or two early, camp out and have fun until the sale. One of the few times when you can just hang out and talk knives with fellow knife knuts.

They usually open the lobby and let people inside an hour before the doors open. Gives them a chance to get out of their cold weather gear and warm up before going in. I'm not the one to ask about times because I live in Central time and don't bother resetting my watch for the day or two I'm there. It seems like they opened the store early last year, but that may be a function of my memory rather than reality.

Show up as early or as late as you want. There's generally still a line all day, but it gets shorter. The SpyderCrew brings out trays of new stock all day long, so no matter when you go there will be goodies to be found.
mrdavidkolds

Post by mrdavidkolds »

When is the seconds sale?
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

mrdavidkolds wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:18 pm
When is the seconds sale?
Saturday, November 19, 2022 from 9am to 5pm

More info can be found in the October Spyderbyte newsletter - https://mailchi.mp/spyderco/spyderco-byte-october-2022
-Nick :bug-red
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Well, I had everything planned out to attend and then a big work project just changed its dates, so now I'm traveling for work that weekend. I'm super bummed I have to cancel my plans, as I haven't been able to make it there since the 2017 sale.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Bummer, man. I was hoping to see you there this year. I guess that's what you get for being indispensable.
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

Looking forward to seeing everyone soon! I’ll bring the snacks.. :zany

Rich
Think for yourself
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

If anyone could pick up a Canis second and an Assist second (any color) for me*, that would be appreciated.

* Assuming any are available, of course.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Wish I could go, would love to grab a Native 5. For those of us who can’t go we want some great pictures of the experience. Good luck to everyone going.
Last edited by WilliamMunny on Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Saw this thread yesterday and thought I'd missed it. Glad to learn I've gotten a reprieve. Hope to be there Friday night.
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

:respect
Attachments
70qrdb.jpg
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

Good luck to everyone going :bug-red
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

yablanowitz wrote:
akapennypincher wrote:
Two years later, I still can't find what in the heck made my Para 3 a factory second. My Native 5 had an edge that kept striking the frame, but eventually, sharpening that out kept it from happening again.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Can 2nd's be returned items?
Somebody buy's a knife and decides they don't like it for whatever reason... Returns it... Knife goes back to Spyderco... Spyderco evaluates said knife... Spyderco puts it in the bin for the 2nd's sale?
•• Beau