Let's see your very first Spyderco (or at least the one you've had the longest)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jpm2

Re: Let's see your very first Spyderco (or at least the one you've had the longest)

Post by jpm2 »

bearfacedkiller

Re: Let's see your very first Spyderco (or at least the one you've had the longest)

Post by bearfacedkiller »

A friend gifted me a Benchmade and I carried it for ten years. I didn’t know much about premium knives even while I carried it but I liked it and carried it every day. One day he told me that he had the same one but lost it and that it was discontinued so I gifted it back to him. At that time I was living near Spyderco so I went to the SFO and looked around. I then went home and ordered a Para2 from Knifeworks for $108. This was early in 2013. I then bought a Cruwear Military and Super Blue Delica. The rest is history.

I still sometimes carry this Para2. It was my daily carry for those first few years.

Benchmade updated that knife and brought it back and I bought the new version. It’s the knife that convinced me that I needed a quality knife. I just learned that I like Spydies more. I carry it quite a bit as well.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
vivi

Post by vivi »

jpm2 wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:51 am

looks like someone took it flat to the stone then gave up. What's the story?
:unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:58 am
My first, and almost gave up on the Manix in general because I couldn't stand those frcp handles. Glad I came around to find the G10 models, and they actually turned into my favorite Spyderco model!

I will go to my grave not understanding the hate FRCP gets VS FRN. If they made a Manix XL LW that's what you'd see me posting in this thread 50% of the time.
:unicorn
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

vivi wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:45 pm
jpm2 wrote:
looks like someone took it flat to the stone then gave up. What's the story?
Wanting a smaller version, I chopped both ends then thinned the blade.
I was headed to a zero grind, but certain it wouldn't hold up for me.
It's presently much thinner than the stock grind.
James Y

Post by James Y »

My Aus-8 Delica with integral FRN clip, bought in 1997.

Jim
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

jpm2 wrote:
Very reminiscent of the Spyopera.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:44 pm
jpm2 wrote:
Very reminiscent of the Spyopera.
Yeah as far as blade shape, but that's all.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Had to look around quite a bit for this photo. My first Spyderco was a Stretch in ZDP-189, which I purchased around 2010.

Second was a Dragonfly 2 in ZDP-189. I carried that combo for ~5 years or so, but unfortunately lost both.

Next was a Plain Jane black G-10 PM2, which I bought in 2016 or so. I'm fairly certain I lost it an Illegal Pete's in Denver, oddly enough. Illegal Pete's is kind of like Chipotle, but they have beer and are open late. Man, do I wish we had those here.

I don't really miss that black PM2. I miss the heck out of that ZDP-189 Stretch, and the Dragonfly, too.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

This was one of my first, if not first. I have 15 years on it now. The G-10 is smoother than it used to be and it has a little lock rock. I mentioned in an old post it had seen hard use, and Cliff Stamp vigorously disagreed. I thought using it as my main blade for house building, for years running, constituted hard use; Stamp indicated such use was merely effete. If I had the chance, I'd ask him if 15 years of contractor work duty is long enough to qualify as 'hard use' but while this Caly is still working for a living, Cliff is gone.
Attachments
Caly 3 after 15 Years 2022.jpg
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Still going strong:

R100

Post by R100 »

I bought these two together in 2008. I'm in Australia and it was the first time I worked out how to order something from another country. I think I chose well and it certainly tipped me down the Spyderco rabbit hole which is weird because either one is the only knife I would ever need. These two have seen a lot of miles in some of Australia's remotest country.

Dan
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

The spyder that begun everything for me is this lovely Beast.
chkn

Post by chkn »

S90V/CF Military I got back in 2007 or so. I had gotten into knives when S30V was all the rage and then I saw this knife with S90V and was instantly intrigued. I used to EDC it regularly but even though I don't carry it on me it's still in my pack that I usually take with me everywhere.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Screen Shot 2022-11-14 at 11.47.30 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-11-14 at 11.47.30 AM.jpg (17.26 KiB) Viewed 694 times
Not a picture of mine, but just a place holder as I was too lazy to pull it from the safe. Mine is a used Native PE in 440V from the 2002-2004 era. Perhaps still the smoothest Spyderco I own.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

My 1st Spyderco knife but not my 1st Spyderco purchase:

Technically my 1st Spyderco was the Sharpmaker!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
apollo

Post by apollo »

vivi wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:46 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:58 am
My first, and almost gave up on the Manix in general because I couldn't stand those frcp handles. Glad I came around to find the G10 models, and they actually turned into my favorite Spyderco model!
I will go to my grave not understanding the hate FRCP gets VS FRN. If they made a Manix XL LW that's what you'd see me posting in this thread 50% of the time.
I do not think its specifically the Material that is the problem. I have nothing against frcp its a handy to clean handle material and for being a kind of plastic it looks rather good especially in the color of the spy27. If the LW had full heavily skelotonized liners i would not feel so apposed to it.
Because now without the liners if i get a good grip and do a cut with some force it flexes to hard to my taste to feel safe. ( i know it is safe and it is more the strong enough but it is a mind thing)
And in the end feeling safe while using a hairpopping sharp object is important for me.
My other frn knives i can not complain about all have liners so feel good in use.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

apollo wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:20 pm
Because now without the liners if i get a good grip and do a cut with some force it flexes to hard to my taste to feel safe. And in the end feeling safe while using a hairpopping sharp object is important for me.
My other frn knives i can not complain about all have liners so feel good in use.

Off Topic: But that's a psychological issue, not a physical one, isn't it? Because the minimal flex around the belly of the handle doesn't impact the locking mechanism of a Manix or the overall safety of the knife.

Taste is a defensible criteria, we're free to go with what we like. If you don't like linerless FRCP that's fine. Lots of people do like it, but that's their taste. I'm just saying that the feeling of safety is psychological, and in this case has nothing to do with the reality of safety. Maybe some PhD can come up with an explanation of why a slightly flexy handle is even safer. I know flexy sky-scrapers are safer than solid ones. But it may not feel that way to you, and thus the phrase: de gustibus non est disputandum.

I have stood on the deck of the space needle's see-through floor and did not feel safe, looking down. But at the same time, I knew I was perfecty safe. It was just a 'psych.'

Similarly, I once had a liner lock fail, fold across my fingers, and cut all four. Since then I avoid all linerlocks, even Spyderco's. Rational? No. Spyderco makes really good, sturdy liner locks. But in my case it's just a prejudice, it's "taste." Others love linerlocks and more power to 'em. I'm glad Spyderco makes so many different blade shapes, locks, handle materials, steels...even if there are many models I'm not interested in buying. The more people Spyderco can appeal to, the bigger their customer base.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
apollo

Post by apollo »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:36 pm
apollo wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:20 pm
Because now without the liners if i get a good grip and do a cut with some force it flexes to hard to my taste to feel safe. And in the end feeling safe while using a hairpopping sharp object is important for me.

Off Topic: But that's a psychological issue, not a physical one, isn't it? Because the minimal flex around the belly of the handle doesn't impact the locking mechanism of a Manix or the overall safety of the knife.

Taste is a defensible criteria, we're free to go with what we like. If you don't like linerless FRCP that's fine. Lots of people do like it, but that's their taste. I'm just saying that the feeling of safety is psychological, and in this case has nothing to do with the reality of safety. Maybe some PhD can come up with an explanation of why a slightly flexy handle is even safer. I know flexy sky-scrapers are safer than solid ones. But it may not feel that way to you, and thus the phrase: de gustibus non est disputandum.

I have stood on the deck of the space needle's see-through floor and did not feel safe, looking down. But at the same time, I knew I was perfecty safe. It was just a 'psych.'

Similarly, I once had a liner lock fail, fold across my fingers, and cut all four. Since then I avoid all linerlocks, even Spyderco's. Rational? No. Spyderco makes really good, sturdy liner locks. But in my case it's just a prejudice, it's "taste." Others love linerlocks and more power to 'em. I'm glad Spyderco makes so many different blade shapes, locks, handle materials, steels...even if there are many models I'm not interested in buying. The more people Spyderco can appeal to, the bigger their customer base.
Yes like i said its a personal opinion. I know it is safe but i can not help it.
But that was not the point of the reply i just wanted to give vivi my opinion that its there for not the frcp itself that is the problem for some people because hi was asking himself what was wrong with frcp.
Last edited by apollo on Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.
billdoier72

Post by billdoier72 »

As many have said before me, the Delica was the gateway to what is now a sizeable collection.
Attachments
delica.jpg
Delica 4 VG10 - Dragonfly 2 K390 Warnnie - Chaparral CTS-XHP - Native 5 M4/Rex/45/4v - Para 3 CTS-BD1/Maaxamet/4V/20CV - Lil Native - Cruwear - Sage 5 S30V - Jester 4V